Targets for our pick from Washington?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What players are you hoping for with our late 1st rounder we picked up from Washington?

The 3 guys I like who are ranked around there are:

Francesco Pinelli
Isak Rosen
Anton Olsson

I would also love it if Sillinger, Cossa, or Chayka "slid" and were available for that pick.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What players are you hoping for with our late 1st rounder we picked up from Washington?

Francesco Pinelli
Isak Rosen
Anton Olsson

I would also love it if Sillinger, Cossa, or Chayka "slid" and were available for that pick.
I want to trade the pick and maybe one of our 2nds to get two high firsts.

Reactions: avssuc

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Owen Power. Go big or go home. :D

But seriously, this draft seems like the biggest guessing game ever, so it's really tough to have any confidence about who might be there when Detroit is on the clock. It'll be really interesting to see who trades up/down, since I have to imagine that draft boards for teams around the league are all over the place.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It happens every draft where a player who isn't supposed to fall for whatever reason falls in the draft. The last draft it was Hendrix Lapierre.
Just wait to see who falls into our lap and take time.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Remember last draft Columbus took Chinakhov 21 overall and nobody knew who he was, I expect a lot like that this coming draft. We could get Helenius with Washington pick

Reactions: avssuc

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I doubt he’s still there unless the playoffs play out perfectly for Washington’s pick to rise, but mine would be Cossa.

That’s assuming, of course, that we don’t grab Wallstedt.

Reactions: Larkin1578

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Doing the draft sims, the following guys always seem available.
Francesco Pinelli
Zachary L'heureux
I never get LD I want in that spot except that time Lambos dropped for some reason.

More off the board, I'd consider Colton Dach or maybe Oliver Kapanen in that spot.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
There's a few guys that I'm interested in that should be in the 20-30 range for us.

Fyodor Svechkov - C - Very good all around center. Solid defensively, great anticipation and tenacity. Very likely the best defensive forward of the draft. I could see him being a good middle 6 contributor. Maybe the kind of guy that gets Selke votes if everything goes right in his development.

Carson Lambos - LD - He might be a gamble after a mystery injury this year but he's a big, mobile 2-way D that plays a strong physical game and doesn't mind taking it from end to end. He could become a Brad Stuart type 2nd pair guy.

Oskar Olausson - LW - I'd compare this kid to AA with a defensive conscience. His game is all about speed. Hard on the forecheck, very good work ethic, hands and a tricky shot but not a high end IQ. Again, someone I see as a solid middle 6 contributor. With his skating I have no doubt that he makes it to the NHL.

Sasha Pastujov - W - Reminds me of Tyler Bertuzzi with much better stickhandling. Plays with some chipiness to his game. Great passer and shows a lot of hockey IQ. The top scorer for America at the u18's. The only thing that I think is keeping him from a top 15 spot is his skating is only average.

Matt Coronato - RW - Could sneak in the 11 to 19 range. Great hands, great shot, great work ethic. Reports say that he's a play driver and not the passenger on his line. Could be a top 6 steal if he somehow falls to us.

Mackie Samoskevich - RW - Could also be a steal from Chicago for the same reasons Matt Coronato is. Great hands, better passer than shooter, great work ethic and IQ. Despite lower numbers his advanced stats look almost identical to Coronato.

Francesco Pinelli - C - Cerebral playmaking forward. I'm hoping our scouts got a good look at him in Kitchener last year when they were eyeballing Sebrango. 11 points at the u18's. Good size. I haven't seen him play outside of highlights but he's ranked around that range and fits a positional need. The Hockey Writers believe he may be the best playmaker in the whole draft.

Daniil Chayka - LD - He looks like a project defenseman with a big frame, decent wheels and a booming shot. Might be better as a 2nd rounder for us but definitely looks like a boom or bust type.

Zachary L'Hereaux - C - This kid reminds me of that asshole Dave Bolland. I hated Bolland. A lot. But I would have loved to have him on Detroit in the 2010's because he was hard to play against. Plays with a lot of fire and has a decent amount of skill to back it up. Probably a 3rd liner but the kind of 3rd liner that you win playoff games with.

Simon Robertsson - RW - His game reminds me of Noel Gunler from 2020. Shoot first winger, not a liability in his own zone. Probably another middle 6 guy but I could see him evolving into a Mikael Samuelsson type of player that can move up or down a lineup, kill penalties and play 2nd PP.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
If we take defenseman with the 1st pick, then draft a forward. Chibrikov, Sveckov, Poltapov, Robertsson, Olausson.
If we take forward with the 1st pick, then draft a defenseman. Svozil, Chayka, Lukashevich, Morrow, Schmidt
Unless some top-15 name is available then pick him.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
There's a few guys that I'm interested in that should be in the 20-30 range for us.

Fyodor Svechkov - C - Very good all around center. Solid defensively, great anticipation and tenacity. Very likely the best defensive forward of the draft. I could see him being a good middle 6 contributor. Maybe the kind of guy that gets Selke votes if everything goes right in his development.

Carson Lambos - LD - He might be a gamble after a mystery injury this year but he's a big, mobile 2-way D that plays a strong physical game and doesn't mind taking it from end to end. He could become a Brad Stuart type 2nd pair guy.

Oskar Olausson - LW - I'd compare this kid to AA with a defensive conscience. His game is all about speed. Hard on the forecheck, very good work ethic, hands and a tricky shot but not a high end IQ. Again, someone I see as a solid middle 6 contributor. With his skating I have no doubt that he makes it to the NHL.

Sasha Pastujov - W - Reminds me of Tyler Bertuzzi with much better stickhandling. Plays with some chipiness to his game. Great passer and shows a lot of hockey IQ. The top scorer for America at the u18's. The only thing that I think is keeping him from a top 15 spot is his skating is only average.

Matt Coronato - RW - Could sneak in the 11 to 19 range. Great hands, great shot, great work ethic. Reports say that he's a play driver and not the passenger on his line. Could be a top 6 steal if he somehow falls to us.

Mackie Samoskevich - RW - Could also be a steal from Chicago for the same reasons Matt Coronato is. Great hands, better passer than shooter, great work ethic and IQ. Despite lower numbers his advanced stats look almost identical to Coronato.

Francesco Pinelli - C - Cerebral playmaking forward. I'm hoping our scouts got a good look at him in Kitchener last year when they were eyeballing Sebrango. 11 points at the u18's. Good size. I haven't seen him play outside of highlights but he's ranked around that range and fits a positional need. The Hockey Writers believe he may be the best playmaker in the whole draft.

Daniil Chayka - LD - He looks like a project defenseman with a big frame, decent wheels and a booming shot. Might be better as a 2nd rounder for us but definitely looks like a boom or bust type.

Zachary L'Hereaux - C - This kid reminds me of that asshole Dave Bolland. I hated Bolland. A lot. But I would have loved to have him on Detroit in the 2010's because he was hard to play against. Plays with a lot of fire and has a decent amount of skill to back it up. Probably a 3rd liner but the kind of 3rd liner that you win playoff games with.

Simon Robertsson - RW - His game reminds me of Noel Gunler from 2020. Shoot first winger, not a liability in his own zone. Probably another middle 6 guy but I could see him evolving into a Mikael Samuelsson type of player that can move up or down a lineup, kill penalties and play 2nd PP.
Great list, I have a lot of the same guys in that tier too. I'd add Scott Morrow to this list because I really like his combination of tools and work ethic. Also Aatu Raty if he falls, I think he could still round out into an excellent middle six C.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Great list, I have a lot of the same guys in that tier too. I'd add Scott Morrow to this list because I really like his combination of tools and work ethic. Also Aatu Raty if he falls, I think he could still round out into an excellent middle six C.

I don't know much about Morrow but liked what I saw in a video someone posted earlier this year.

Aatu Raty gives me big bust vibes. Most of these kids you can see them gradually improve as the year goes on. Raty isn't someone that looks to me like he made any improvements at all. You could even argue that he's regressed from his D-1.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I'd risk taking whatever best Center is left at that position. We are so freaking weak at Center, we really need the dice on getting some good ones that have potential to be 2C or 1C.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If Sebastian Cossa is there, I say you swing and take him. If not, any C that has the potential to play as a 2nd line C.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
So many variables up in the air. Who will still be on the board? How high will the Washington pick land? Guys that I have really high on my board that could be available based on a handful of rankings out there:
  • Fabian Lysell: I don't expect him to be available, but if the Washington pick is in the 22-24 range, he might be. If I'm Steve Yzerman (I'm not), and Lysell is still available, I'd trip over my shoelaces in the sprint to the podium. He's my favorite forward in the draft though.
  • Fyodor Svechkov: Svechkov has been my favorite for the Washington pick, but Craig Button really let my hopes down. This is the same Craig Button that has Lysell going late though, so maybe the Wings take Svechkov at eight and Lysell at twenty.
  • Aleksi Heimosalmi: This probably looks like a reach based on the rankings out there. He could potentially be available in the third round, but he'd snuck into my top twenty prior to the U18s, and he turned it up a notch there. I'm really curious to see how high he's ranked on Bob's final list. If he's still not in the top forty, we could probably afford to wait until the second round to pick him up, but there aren't many players I'd take ahead of him, and it'd suck to see someone else grab him late in the first.
  • Sebastian Cossa: Recency bias is a fickle devil, and I've come to like Cossa more than Wallstedt. He's a big goalie, but he's about as agile a goaltender as I've seen, and it's hard to overlook his numbers this year.
  • Carson Lambos: I didn't see much of his play in Finland that everyone was so disappointed in, but he looked great last year, and I'm willing to give him a few excuses (new team, foreign land, foreign language, different hockey philosophy, etc.)
  • Isak Rosen: I've seen two very different players running around the ice with this name on their jersey. I really, really like the one that showed up for the U18s, but I've also seen some lazy play out of him and games where he completely checked out. What's encouraging though is that he was playing much better to end the year than he did to start.
  • Daniil Chayka / Stanislav Svozil: I'm going to group these two guys together because I have gone back and forth a lot on them throughout the year. If the previously named studs are all gone, I'd flip a coin on one of these guys (or "reach" for one of the Finnish forwards).
  • Corson Ceulemans: Maybe. He has some work to do on his defensive game, but I can see a future where Ceulemans develops into a minute-munching, top-four defenseman and powerplay quarterback.
Edit: added Corson Ceulemans and changed formatting. Also changed 17-20 to 22-24.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Francesco Pinelli
Isak Rosen
Anton Olsson

Kinda tough to answer depending on where the pick is. Could be anywhere from like 18-32 right?

I think Pinelli, Cossa or Othmann as the second first rounder would be hard to be upset about. L'Heureux seems like the type of guy you want in the playoffs with some skill to boot.

if they came away with Bourgault or Bolduc I definitely wouldnt be disappointed either. I think a guy I'm higher on than some if Zach Dean. Not sure if he'll be a target with the caps pick but definitely by the wings first second rounder he might be gone already. After the U18s, I'm pretty high on Othmann though and think hes the guy to go after

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->