Tarasenko

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Blues haven't had a lethal PP since Shattenkirk got dealt. The lack of a QB really slows down the movement. If Thomas or someone else can become that PPQB, we will see it improve greatly.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I wonder if Berube’s very direct communication style is a plus in dealing with international players, where the subtleties of English may be more opaque. They understand exactly what he is asking for and get clear feedback.
I'd bet that Berube is a better communicator, but more with feeling and intent, rather than the use of simple vs. complicated wording. I played on teams that had players coming from other first languages. They have stronger rapports with their teammates than the coaches. Whatever the coaches are trying to get across that might be not clear enough, could be explained and shown by teammates. Based on seeing interviews by them, and talk about them by the players, I'd guess that Yeo is more of a "nuts and bolts", by the book, coach; and Berube is more of a low-key, "people person", who cares more about the attitude of the players, and the main goal of the team, and getting everyone to WANT to be on the same page, rather than trying to "force" them to get on the same page. Berube got them to realise they couldn't win unless they want to win for eachother, and they would then have to play for eachother, and work as a whole team towards that goal. Some of the players actually laughed at Yeo, and some of the things he was trying to do. Berube got them to want to win for each other AND for him, too. And they came together, putting all their effort into that. Yeo had them antagonistic to him, and not believing what he wanted them to do would work. Team psychology is a very fragile thing. The players know when they really believe they can and will win each game they go into, and they also know when things are not working and the players don't believe they can win most games (that the team has a negative attitude).

Team confidence builds exponentially, and can also disappear in a downward spiral. I love to see what's happening with The Blues now, and hope there are no key injuries to stop their momentum, and continued growing confidence (and rote development of playing the right way - developing good habits that eventually become an instinctive way of playing).

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Blues haven't had a lethal PP since Shattenkirk got dealt. The lack of a QB really slows down the movement. If Thomas or someone else can become that PPQB, we will see it improve greatly.
I think this is more due to the fact that they don't have a right handed shot for a 1 timer, so everything has to go to the right side. Shatty was able to line up and create a threat from the Ovi spot, which no other player on the Blues really can do right now.

I'd bet that Berube is a better communicator, but more with feeling and intent, rather than the use of simple vs. complicated wording. I played on teams that had players coming from other first languages. They have stronger rapports with their teammates than the coaches. Whatever the coaches are trying to get across that might be not clear enough, could be explained and shown by teammates. Based on seeing interviews by them, and talk about them by the players, I'd guess that Yeo is more of a "nuts and bolts", by the book, coach; and Berube is more of a low-key, "people person", who cares more about the attitude of the players, and the main goal of the team, and getting everyone to WANT to be on the same page, rather than trying to "force" them to get on the same page. Berube got them to realise they couldn't win unless they want to win for eachother, and they would then have to play for eachother, and work as a whole team towards that goal. Some of the players actually laughed at Yeo, and some of the things he was trying to do. Berube got them to want to win for each other AND for him, too. And they came together, putting all their effort into that. Yeo had them antagonistic to him, and not believing what he wanted them to do would work. Team psychology is a very fragile thing. The players know when they really believe they can and will win each game they go into, and they also know when things are not working and the players don't believe they can win most games (that the team has a negative attitude).

Team confidence builds exponentially, and can also disappear in a downward spiral. I love to see what's happening with The Blues now, and hope there are no key injuries to stop their momentum, and continued growing confidence (and rote development of playing the right way - developing good habits that eventually become an instinctive way of playing).

I think it's quite the opposite. Yeo is very well known around the league for being a players coach. He's all about interacting with the players, so much so that his words probably started to hold very little weight to the players. Berube is much more the Xs and Os guy that expects performance from his team, and isn't going to be buddy buddy all the time. I think that when you have a coach who is more distanced from the team, it requires the team to bond together more, while if you have a coach that is closer with the team, the team has less incentive to bond and play for one another.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Few things

1) his shoulder healed and he has his confidence back

2) he finally has a true #1 CENTER he has developed chemistry with.

3) they are winning and he is hitting that third gear.

But if you ask hfboards he is in his decline. Lol

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think this is more due to the fact that they don't have a right handed shot for a 1 timer, so everything has to go to the right side. Shatty was able to line up and create a threat from the Ovi spot, which no other player on the Blues really can do right now.

I think it's quite the opposite. Yeo is very well known around the league for being a players coach. He's all about interacting with the players, so much so that his words probably started to hold very little weight to the players. Berube is much more the Xs and Os guy that expects performance from his team, and isn't going to be buddy buddy all the time. I think that when you have a coach who is more distanced from the team, it requires the team to bond together more, while if you have a coach that is closer with the team, the team has less incentive to bond and play for one another.

I think what I meant by what I wrote is being misinterpreted. I guess I wasn't able to express it clearly enough. I didn't mean to imply that Berube was "buddy-buddy" with the players, like a peer, nor that he was easy on them, to be "nice". I meant that he respected them enough to be completely honest with them, and consider their point of view. Yeo may have been "easy" on several players, but, perhaps, in a way that seemed "unfair" to some. Clearly, based on players' comments, he lost respect of many players because of what he did or didn't do. They disagreed with some of his directives, because they saw that they weren't working. I didn't mean to imply that the players liked Berube more because he was easier on them than Yeo was. They lost faith in Yeo because they saw that he installed no defensive system, and what he was telling them to do didn't work. Some were even making fun of him behind his back. Berube told the players what they needed to do, and they listened and understood why they had to do it IF they wanted to turn theiir situatioon around. And they agreed, and because they believed it to be true, they got together and agreed to go after that result, and make it happen.

Reactions: StLHokie

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Berube probably said to the team: "get the puck to the shooter and let him shoot", and to Tarasenko: "get in a shooting position and put the puck in the net" with a lot of expletives mixed in. Yeo was probably nit-picking him on defensive positioning and threatening to bench him if his +/- doesn't improve lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad