Tarasenko

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, whatever happened, he's playing great hockey. He definitely needed some confidence, but he looks faster on the ice and overall play is great.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think ROR finally rubbed off on him. He seems to actually care every game and wants to win. Didn't look that way earlier in the season.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
The local sports radio been talking about it and interviewed people reporting the games. They said Tarasenko has been the happiest they ever seen him. If one thing we should take away with Craig as coach that Tarasenko likes playing for him and that a big deal and it seems the rest of the team does too. I do think his health being better has a factor but Craig lite that motivation and fire. So we are now seeing Tarasenko being the guy we wanted him to be. I only think of the kind of numbers he will have next year fully healthy and this happy. Right now this is key with a playoff push that at the right time he playing his best hockey. That what we need him to be, and at the right time. Having Tarasenko playing his best hockey in the playoffs will be a huge. The team is going getting better as they get healthier. When Perrion comes back, that adds the depth.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I wonder if Berube’s very direct communication style is a plus in dealing with international players, where the subtleties of English may be more opaque. They understand exactly what he is asking for and get clear feedback.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
If you're playing on a line with ROR and not playing your ass off, you're going to get embarrassed. I think the shoulder certainly helps explain the uptick in goals, but he's competing harder for pucks than he ever has. He downright stole a point against Tampa with a wicked backcheck to break up what would've been a Victor Hedman shot from the middle of the slot like 20 feet out. That is a high danger scoring chance and he broke it up with pure effort by busting his ass back after being interfered with by the goalie. There are other similar plays that Vladi is making now that I don't remember him making in the past. I never, ever questioned his desire to win. I know that when he's not scoring he's very hard on himself and he wants to win as much as anyone in the league. That's always been shown in his ability to take over a game offensively at big moments(World Juniors, Winter Classic, playoffs etc.) but this year we're seeing it defensively too. Winning makes everyone happy(except maybe the backup goalie in this case....and the 13th forward....)

Reactions: JoshFromMO

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
The offense is great to see from him and thats what goal scorers do. But what has me impressed the most is his play away from the puck. Last week's game vs Tampa was a perfect example. After being interfered with my Vasi, he busted his ass back towards his zone to help disrupt the play that led to Schenn's OT winner. previous years or earlier this season he would have look a lot more casual getting back or even went for a line change.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Tarasenko said he really liked Yeo when we switched from Hitch, but it does appear that Berube allows for a more open offense approach - which I’m sure Vlad likes. We’ve been seeing some zone entry and passing off the rush that we previously never saw; lots of driving to the net and drawing defenders. I also agree about simplifying the game plan. It makes it easier for players like Tarasenko to insert creativity and not have the whole system collapse.

I don’t think Berube is the right guy moving forward in so as much that he isn’t as much of the wrong guy that both Yeo and Hitch were.

I want to either find the next Cooper or hire an established coach like Quennville, but short of that I’m fine with Berube. Tampa’s AHL coach would be foremost on my radar.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Tarasenko said he really liked Yeo when we switched from Hitch, but it does appear that Berube allows for a more open offense approach - which I’m sure Vlad likes. We’ve been seeing some zone entry and passing off the rush that we previously never saw; lots of driving to the net and drawing defenders. I also agree about simplifying the game plan. It makes it easier for players like Tarasenko to insert creativity and not have the whole system collapse.

I don’t think Berube is the right guy moving forward in so as much that he isn’t as much of the wrong guy that both Yeo and Hitch were.

I want to either find the next Cooper or hire an established coach like Quennville, but short of that I’m fine with Berube. Tampa’s AHL coach would be foremost on my radar.

Coaching and its impact in the NHL is an enigma for me, but it's funny you bring up Cooper. He gets a lot of hate from Tampa fans and has failed to capitalize on their "stacked" roster

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Groulx (or however you spell his name) is definitely at the top of my list. But Berube has definitely at least thrust his name into the conversation as an option.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
We'll see how the season ends but at this point I really don't see the Blues hiring an AHL coach. With how well Berube has done, I think Armstrong only replaces him with a guy he knows is for sure an upgrade. Hard to see him going with an unproven guy, because if they flop then Armstrong looks real bad and will have to find yet another coach.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

If Tampa doesn't make it into the finals this year, there is a lot of rumbling that Tampa will not re-sign Cooper. If he becomes free, I'd love for Army to have a talk with him and see what he is going to want. Blues can even change their names to the Bandits and it will be like old time for Cooper.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
PP sucks. I’m gonna keep saying it until something is done. They are going to need it if we want to do damage in the playoffs.

Not really, either the kings or boston won the cup with the worst power play in the post season.. 5v5 ins where you win in the spring

Reactions: DoubleK81

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Not really, either the kings or boston won the cup with the worst power play in the post season.. 5v5 ins where you win in the spring
One example. Awesome.

Washington was 2nd in percentage and scored the most PP goals last year. Unfortunately, that’s all I can find for PP stats in the postseason but I’d be willing to bet more cup winners excel at the PP than not. Nashville murdered us on the PP a couple years ago when we lost in 6. It’s very important. If you can keep your PP humming it makes up for the lack of 5v5 goals that always seem to go down for every team in the postseason.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
We'll see how the season ends but at this point I really don't see the Blues hiring an AHL coach. With how well Berube has done, I think Armstrong only replaces him with a guy he knows is for sure an upgrade. Hard to see him going with an unproven guy, because if they flop then Armstrong looks real bad and will have to find yet another coach.
If Berube takes The Blues deep through The Playoffs, he'd have to be considered seriously. It would make his case stronger if he could improve both the power play and penalty kill within the next month. But, if they don't improve significantly, I might consider hiring Berube as HC next season, anyway, and consider hiring different assistants to handle the special units. But, I'd also keep Coach Q in my sights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->