Tarasenko vs Rakell

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Dynasty cap league (G, A, Pts, STP, Tkaways) I need to cut some cap and am in a win now mode. Got offered Rakell (plus some minor futures) for Tarasenko. Feel like Vlad’s value may have dipped after a bit of a down year, but Rakell could provide similar numbers at half the cap. On the other hand, I do not think he has legitimate elite potential ceiling like Tarasenko.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

AnomX

Oct 25, 2013
If you have the pieces in place where loosing Tarasenko long term doesn't hurt too much - I would do that deal, especially in win now mode.

But I agree with you for as far as the potential of the two.. but cap is a valuable resource for a winning team.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If you have the pieces in place where loosing Tarasenko long term doesn't hurt too much - I would do that deal, especially in win now mode.

But I agree with you for as far as the potential of the two.. but cap is a valuable resource for a winning team.

It would leave me with Zucker, Hornqvist, Tolvanen and Rackell all RW eligible.

I have to make some kind of move as I’m already at the cap and have Theodore still waiting to be signed, just not sure if I want Vlad to be a cap casualty. It’s hard to get value for expensive players in this league. We also do yearly salary, not cap so Tarasenko going up to 9.5 next year will hurt his value even more.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Not to downplay the salary component when looking at this, but Tarasenko had a down year by his standards at 26 and just got a huge boost to the team dynamic this off-season by adding ROR, Bozak and Perron - PP improvements, given STL's awful PP last year, Tarasenko should receive a boost from better PP units around him and return to flirting with 40G and 30+A. That's 3 straight 70+ point seasons, and you're looking at 9.5 then 5.5, 9.5 then 5.5 moving forward. Tough to manage cap wise, but I feel like he's due to flirt with 80P this season. He also had a down tick in his career shooting percentage - allegedly because he was adapting to the difference his laser eye surgery made to his vision.

Rakell had a career year at 25. Maybe he repeats it, or improves. Tough to say I don't watch Anaheim closely.

Call me a homer, but I don't think you've seen the best of Tarasenko. I don't feel minor futures offset the difference in game breaking talent, or offensive upside. Though depending on your draft format late picks may have added value. (our league allows us to draft players eligible to be drafted or drafted in the past 3 drafts to be selected - so late picks are a boon if used to draft late bloomers after 2 additional years of development - I typically draft the lead sophomore NCAA scorers with my 6th,7th and 8th).

I paid Patrick Kane 13.8 mil in salary last season in my own dynasty league, I understand the pinch of the salary cap and need to sell off players you'd rather not - I made what could be considered an insane move shipping out Matthews just before our entry draft for 2 1sts and a 3rd to secure Wahlstrom, Bokk and TBD with the remaining 2019 1st because I knew Matthews had more value with 1 year left on his ELC before his extension is signed (I expect him to be in the Tavares range for his next contract with 14-15 mil salary in a front loaded contract). As is, I've got 442,500 in cap space going into the new season - there is very little wiggle room for call ups unless my injuries hit the LTIR.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wouldn't move Tarasenko as a "cap dump". I get that you're getting a good player in return that is a lot cheaper, but I think Tarasenko will be better this year than he was last year.*

*I only have about three years of cap league experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad