Tarasenko to have 3rd shoulder surgery

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Wow, that really complicates things long-term with 91.

Beyond that, I don't even think LTIR is going to help us with Pietrangelo, since 5-months puts Tarasenko back to be re-evalutated sometime in January. The current plan is for next season to start in December, isn't it? Even assuming next season is shortened to put us back on track for following seasons, that doesn't give enough time to alleviate the cap issues with Pietrangelo.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Hoped for the best, but this really isn't good news.

Five months is the start of February, so we're going to have cap flexibility going into the season. Even if he is coming back into the team in the middle of February, expectations have to be pretty low on how effective he'll be in the short term there. We absolutely need to find a way to add more depth scoring.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
3rd one, ugh. Damn, if this guy could have stayed healthy I feel like 50 goals could have been attainable at some point in his career. You'd have to think his days of flirting with even 40 are over, right? Now I'd be happy to get at least 30 out of him.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Wow, that really complicates things long-term with 91.

Beyond that, I don't even think LTIR is going to help us with Pietrangelo, since 5-months puts Tarasenko back to be re-evalutated sometime in January. The current plan is for next season to start in December, isn't it? Even assuming next season is shortened to put us back on track for following seasons, that doesn't give enough time to alleviate the cap issues with Pietrangelo.
We're the Blues. We can probably extend Pietrangelo and then have him on LTIR by the time Tarasenko is healthy.

Seriously, I think if we're extending Pietrangelo then the bulk of the work to clear cap space needs to be done in the offseason. If we move Allen & Dunn and replace them on the roster with Husso/cheap vet & Mikkola/Perunovich then we'll have over $5.5m in cap space for Pietrangelo.

@Brian39 convinced me that we can probably leave some of the work for during the season without much issue. At the start of February both Steen and Bozak will have lost their NTCs. Teams would likely be looking for some centre depth at that point, we can move Bozak then and we'd have enough cap space. Even if we retain 20%. Or we can give up an asset to move Steen.

Still, I'd be extremely surprised if it's all dumping cap and going with just our current group of players. I'm sure there will be a trade we're not expecting where we will drop a little cap as well.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Blues will now have 10.4 million in cap space. to start the season with 20 players signed.
Foley and VT will be placed on LTIR.
VT to be re-evaluated in 5 months, but talk is he would then have several months of re-hab.
Also factor in that Steen's NTC expires in Feb.

IMO the off season just got a bit easier for the Blues.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Any precedent for a hockey player coming back from three shoulder surgeries?

Sounds like he's done. What a shame.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Let’s remember that Tarasenko had almost 10 months off, played a few games, and now needs another surgery.

So him returning in 5 months after yet another surgery would be EXTREMELY optimistic (and probably disastrous as well). I’d really look into LTIR because he may miss the whole season still.

And thus I agree that his career is likely done. By the time he comes back and is able to perform (if ever) he will be pushing 30, and for a guy whose entire game revolves around his shot I can’t see him ever being that effective anymore.

It’s a shame but we definitely need to try to strike gold by acquiring a young forward this summer to help replace him.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think he’s effectively out for next season. I’d have to think his rehab will be even more gradual and careful next time, and take longer. I think his effective return will probably be more negatively affected by the missed time (nearly two seasons) than the shoulder itself. But both are big issues.

For salary cap purposes, it’s probably safe to pencil in his LTIR status for the whole year.

Reactions: 67Blues and Spear

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Wow, I feel so bad for Vladi. This is a huge loss for our roster going forward both short and long term, and if he comes back he's likely never the player he was.

If anything this likely a repeat of the Fabbri situation where I could us trading him to some team willing to take a flyer on hoping they can reignite some of his offense.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
That sucks for Vladi and potentially us as well. It depend how Army uses or doesn’t use the space.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wow, I feel so bad for Vladi. This is a huge loss for our roster going forward both short and long term, and if he comes back he's likely never the player he was.

If anything this likely a repeat of the Fabbri situation where I could us trading him to some team willing to take a flyer on hoping they can reignite some of his offense.
The difference is Fabbri had 1 year left on a contract under $1M. Tarasenko comes with a ton of risk.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think this eliminates them considering moving someone like Schwartz. Time for one of the young forwards to actually produce.
Army in his comments specifically mentioned Kyrou in the context of internal options such as him needing to step up to fill the void.

"Scoring wasn't an issue for us last season. Having Vladi in our lineup makes us a better team, so no, I don't think we're going to go out and try to replace Vladi with another Vladi. We all know what the salary cap situation is. Jordan Kyrou has to come back and be given an opportunity to have an impact on our team and he has to take that opportunity to run with it. I think there are internal players that are going to come back (and we can use)… The core group that had a good 70-game (regular season) are under contract." - Doug Armstrong

10 questions with Doug Armstrong

Reactions: Brian39

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm hopeful for a full recovery for Vladi, but I hope he takes his time so that we can have both a healthy 91 and a present 27 for the first round of the playoffs next season. Absolutely no need to rush him back after a third surgery in 28 months and the cap space freed up with him on LTIR should be plenty to allow us to re-sign Petro and keep the roster relatively static.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad