Confirmed with Link: Tarasenko re-signs with the Blues! (8 years @ $7.5m)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Tarasenko just wants to win. Too bad Armstrong isn't doing enough to help him.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
What the hell will Schwartz want now? He's as good as Tarasenko IMO - but I know sizzle sells over the steak sometimes.

He's not as good as Tarasenko. Production pays. He'll probably be in the 6s I would imagine.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

He was never interested in a return to the KHL for various reasons. SKA knew that and didn't even pursue the matter because of that.

If he shows up in the playoffs this year, he can have 6. Otherwise, 5.5 should be his max.

It depends on the length of his next contract, but there is no way it starts with a 5 if we go long term.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He was never interested in a return to the KHL for various reasons. SKA knew that and didn't even pursue the matter because of that.

I figured that, but it's still interesting to me that he didn't even bring it up, even if he had no intention of actually going through with it. Especially after the Sobotka incident.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I figured that, but it's still interesting to me that he didn't even bring it up, even if he had no intention of actually going through with it. Especially after the Sobotka incident.

The cynic in me would say that is because Liut doesn't represent Tarasenko in the KHL, so he doesn't get anything if he goes down that road ;)

Seriously, that's just as telling as the term. 8 years is not a good business decision from Tarasenko, that's a personal decision. We all heard that he was a leader with Sibir, that he was extremely loyal, etc. This deal shows that.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I'll take it! I'm sure his agent and bride are as ecstatic as we are.

Last edited:

Megalodan

Registered Loser
Mar 11, 2011
Drinkscotch Center
I know conventional wisdom indicates Tarasenko will play with Stastny, but part of me wonders -- now that he's paid -- if the Blues will try him out on a line with Backes.

They didn't play much on even-strength together last season, but when they did they were pulling 6.88 GF/60, 0.98 GA/60. That's.. pretty impressive.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Just curious does he have a no trade clause? Just in case things turn sour.

I'm sure those types of details along with how the money is structured between salary/bonuses (I would assume Tarasenko got a fairly sizable signing bonus today) will come out soon enough.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I know conventional wisdom indicates Tarasenko will play with Stastny, but part of me wonders -- now that he's paid -- if the Blues will try him out on a line with Backes.

They didn't play much on even-strength together last season, but when they did they were pulling 6.88 GF/60, 0.98 GA/60. That's.. pretty impressive.

I always wondered why that wasn't the case as well. Backes drives play up ice and can get in place with a net front presence, is better defensively for his line, etc.

I assume it has to do with him traditionally taking a good amount of shots or his use as a defensive center on a shutdown line.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
So I watched the video thinking it was safe to watch it. After all, I wouldn't want to scream "Fire Armstrong" at my computer monitor like a crazy person when he just signed Tarasenko to a good contract. That didn't work out so well. When he tried to justify the horrific trade for Brouwer by saying it would allow Tarasenko more minutes. That is pure BS. If Hitch wanted to give Tarasenko more minutes, he gives him more minutes. You don't have to lose a trade in order to force the coach's hand into having to give Taraenko good minutes because we have nobody else.

it was the same rationale in the Perron trade.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Lehterä Backes Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Jaskin
Steen Berglund Brouwer

Eh...why not

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Seriously, that's just as telling as the term. 8 years is not a good business decision from Tarasenko, that's a personal decision. We all heard that he was a leader with Sibir, that he was extremely loyal, etc. This deal shows that.

Exactly, so many folks on the main board discounted loyalty in favor of $$$. This contract shows he knew he would become set for life regardless the amount, he wanted to be an impact of this organization for the next 8 years.

I know it is Korac but I believe this one, Glad to see he is ready for that role. I truly believe in this new core, now if only decent moves (or in DA case, no moves) are done to solidify the supporting cast. The Blues will have a nice window of opportunity to......make it past the first round.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Considering his drive in the post season....give that man his A. He's absolutely a franchise player.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
4RO7C43.gif

TANKhelmet_zps46b368cd.gif

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I had complete faith in Army's ability to get a fair deal done because he is undeniably good in contract negotiations. Even without any worry that the deal would get done, I love this contract. He is signed as long as the CBA will allow for a very, very fair number. Next year he will have the 20th highest cap hit in the NHL. There is just no denying that he is a top 20 player. The fact that we got that price while buying 4 UFA years and almost his entire prime is absolutely incredible.

Barring serious injury, the worst case scenario is that he will be slightly overpaid in the first few years and then getting paid market value once the cap rises another 10-15%. And that is if last season ends up being his best and he turns out to be a 65 point guy. The far more likely scenario is that this ends up being an absolute steal by year 3.

I love the deal and would be stunned if he isn't wearing a letter to start the year.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Tbh from my not on the locker room perspective, it seems like Schwartz and Shattenkirk should be ahead of tarasenko in the wearing an A realm

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Tbh from my not on the locker room perspective, it seems like Schwartz and Shattenkirk should be ahead of tarasenko in the wearing an A realm

We have a team who falls apart when a goalie let's in a bad goal. If I am coach, I want the guy who goes up to the goalie and says "Don't worry we'll get it back" as part of my team's leadership. It's even better that he goes out and does get it back. Tarasenko has been the heart of this team for awhile. The team should recognize that.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Without knowing the locker room dynamic, I can't really comment on who is a leader in the room. I don't think any of us know who 'deserves' a letter based on leadership in the room.

However, I can't imagine the club would not make him part of the leadership group. They just gave Tarasenko a bigger commitment than any other player in the history of the franchise. 8 years is longer than any other contract ever given to a Blue. $60 mil is more money than the Blues have ever given to a player. The annual cap hit is the highest on the team. This is a statement that the franchise is in his hands. Vocal leader or no, you give that player a letter.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How's the celebration going? :)

Looking at ROR's contract, it's a steal. No really, Tarasenko still has to grow into this contract, but with the cap growing in the future it might be quite a good one for him and the Blues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad