Tarasenko is the best scorer for Russian NT so far

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
It's not like Ottawa's surprised at how Tarasenko is now, it's not like anyones suprised. Not using 1st round picks on Russians...luckily Rundblad was available and we didn't have to pick the next best non-Russian.

Just the way it is. Picking Russians in the 1st couple rounds from 2002-2006 basically ruined the prospect pool...they never came over to play.

There has never yet been a russian 1st round pick who was good enough to come over to play but who didn't. If the sens really regard Russians in the 1st round as a no-no, that is just totally irrational.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
The hockey news are somewhat a consensus opinion of NHL scouts?

Yes it is, since that ranking is compiled from list submitted by NHL scouts. And "somehow" is the word you're looking for.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Yes it is, since that ranking is compiled from list submitted by NHL scouts. And "somehow" is the word you're looking for.

I see. Well, thanks for the info.

As I've said, for what it's worth, Rundblad had a better season in SEL than Tarasenko in KHL. Vlad was ok, but he pretty much had the same impact as in 2009/10 season. He might become a great player, and is certainly among the top of european talents of his age group.

Though, after a monster season like Rundblad had in SEL, I don't think, Ottawa regrets trading their 1st round pick for him at all.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
They have similar potentials, but Tarasenko is the safer pick.
I think Rundblad will have troubles defensively on the small ice with a heavy forecheck; at least at the beginning. Can he adapt? Who knows at this point.

Tarasenko will be an NHLer no matter what. Even if his offensive game disappears, he is well rounded enough to play a 3rd/4th line energy role. And his leadership ability is unquestionable.

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I believe this thread is about Tarasenko. Why do Ottawa fans always need to bring up Rundblad.

It is kind of funny really. Blues fans in this thread haven't said anything negative or who discussed who will be better, but Ottawa fans still need to ring in. Go start your own thread about DR and quit turning other threads into junk.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
They have similar potentials, but Tarasenko is the safer pick.
I think Rundblad will have troubles defensively on the small ice with a heavy forecheck; at least at the beginning. Can he adapt? Who knows at this point.

Tarasenko will be an NHLer no matter what. Even if his offensive game disappears, he is well rounded enough to play a 3rd/4th line energy role. And his leadership ability is unquestionable.

How many 3rd or 4th line Russian energy players with leadership qualities are there in the NHL though? That's a big if. Most of the time it's kinda either(top6) or(khl). That's why it's, imo, not a safer pick by any means.

Same can also be said about Rundblad. Either he becomes a really good two-way top pairing defenceman, or he becomes a #4-5 D with unquestionable PP skills. And that's a pretty safe estimation.

Hooch314

Mar 16, 2008
Except one surprisingly plays defense...

Yea...Tarasenko.

Go ahead and try to prove that. If you think it's that cut and dry, should be pretty easy.

He truly is widely considered a better prospect. I'm not sure if I agree or not but that's how it is here, and honestly hockeysfuture.com is the only list I have ever seen that had Rundblad higher than Tarasenko.

I love that we made that trade, and I'm sure Ottawa isn't complaining. I've just heard Rundblad is a mess in the defensive zone. His offense has obviously improved ridiculously since the trade.

Hooch314

Mar 16, 2008
I believe this thread is about Tarasenko. Why do Ottawa fans always need to bring up Rundblad.

It is kind of funny really. Blues fans in this thread haven't said anything negative or who discussed who will be better, but Ottawa fans still need to ring in. Go start your own thread about DR and quit turning other threads into junk.

It happens in every single one.

As I've said, for what it's worth, Rundblad had a better season in SEL than Tarasenko in KHL. Vlad was ok, but he pretty much had the same impact as in 2009/10 season. He might become a great player, and is certainly among the top of european talents of his age group.

Though, after a monster season like Rundblad had in SEL, I don't think, Ottawa regrets trading their 1st round pick for him at all.

I think most of Tarasenko's relatively low numbers in the KHL are because of his icetime and linemates given to him by the coach (his daddy).

You're right about Ottawa being happy too though. Can't argue with a best defenseman award winner, regardless of league.

Sizemore24*

I don't trust Russian palyer, i'll take Rundblad voer Tarasenko...both are equally awesome

pouskin74*

just dont bring any icehockey player from sweden in to discustion! otherwise you have to make deal with user Carl:laugh: no offence though!:naughty:

Myt621

Dec 18, 2008
Saskatoon, Sk
I say great trade for both teams

Makes you wonder who Ottawa would have drafted if the trade didn't happen, personally I think it wouldn't have been Tarasenko

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

I think you're generalizing a bit when you say Rundblad had a better season. I'm guessing you're referring to point production to come to that conclusion and even that is flawed. So much of it is situational.

Let's start with icetime. Tarasenko played the 9th or 10th most minutes amongst forwards on his team on top of seeing minimal PP time. How many minutes did Rundblad play? I'm guessing it was quite a few more minutes as a dman and a boatload more on the PP. One 1st hand report this season from a fan of the opposing team said Tarasenko drew 6 of 7 penalties in one game and recieved ZERO PP time in that game. This was one of the only 1st hand reports on him all season and the compliments extended far past what the scoresheet showed.

From what I understand, the KHL is a better league than the SEL. This may or may not be true, but it seems to be the general consensus.

I'm not saying Tarasenko had the better season, but unless you're familiar with BOTH players situations this past season....you probably shouldn't tout one or the other.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I love how some of you are trying to pretend you are impartial. Just letting you know that some of us are not fooled in the slightest.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pretty sure in terms of leagues the consensus is something like:

1. NHL
2. KHL
3. SEL
4. AHL

I think it's hard to say who is better at this point. In terms of accomplishments, while Tarasenko as a Gold Medal that's in a small tournament with a very small sample size, Rundblad made it to the finals of the SEL and got 'best defenceman' and he was 3rd in league scoring. His defensive ability is underrated, but it's definitely not 'great' by any stretch.

I don't think, at this point, either team is upset with the trade. It's far too early to tell who came out on the better end of it with neither of them having played a game in the NHL (or the AHL) yet. Maybe they both flop, maybe they both become stars. If one had to pick a certain player that has been better to this point...I would say Rundblad just based on a larger sample size with more consistency -- but this is skewed by opportunity as well, so why not just wait until they get to the NHL to compare the two?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I love how some of you are trying to pretend you are impartial. Just letting you know that some of us are not fooled in the slightest.

More generalizing. How about you refute a specific idea of "someones" post rather than alluding that you're "on to" what they're doing. It leaves less room for interpretation and the thread devolving into crap.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
More generalizing. How about you refute a specific idea of "someones" post rather than alluding that you're "on to" what they're doing. It leaves less room for interpretation and the thread devolving into crap.

I just find it despicable that people, such as yourself, pretend they are having a discussion when really all it is they are doing is pushing their brand.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

Exactly, I mean they must lie or something sometimes, because if they thought that a guy was really underrated, I doubt they would come out and say it... Example being Tikhonov, there was speculation he might be drafted pretty high almost everywhere (even on these boards) and he wasn't even in the top 100 THN prospects... He goes in the first round. Apparently there was interest form other teams which is why Phoenix scooped him up.
I mean if your to sit a Scout from every NHL team in a room and come up with a list of rankings of top 100.. I don't think come June there is a single guy that goes in the 1st round that wasn't on that list... It just doesn't make sense. A team wouldn't grab a guy in the 1st unless they thought someone would scoop him up before there next pick, which means that more than 1 team has interest in a player. This would mean that that guy should have been at least ranked in the top 100 somewhere by other scouts unless a majority of scouts are way off the mark (unlikely scenario).
-sorry for the over analysis, just had to get it off my mind...

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I really like Tarasenko because not only does he have high level of skills, but he also possesses extreme leg strength and outside speed which enables him to barrel around defenders and blow through checks the way Jagr once did in his younger years... Not many players are gifted with such strong lower bodies like that.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I just find it despicable that people, such as yourself, pretend they are having a discussion when really all it is they are doing is pushing their brand.
Discussions are rarely held between two people who have no opinion (or bias) whatsoever on whatever they happen to be talking about.

What makes it a discussion is the ability to listen to the other side in spite of that, and a willingness to find common ground.

Some people are more successful at that than others, but that's the nature of the world...not just this particular nook of cyberspace.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland

I don't know why you're surprised? Threads about Tarasenko or Rundblad for the next 15 years will mention the other player... lets hope one of them isn't referred to as Naslund's Stojanov!

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I say great trade for both teams

Makes you wonder who Ottawa would have drafted if the trade didn't happen, personally I think it wouldn't have been Tarasenko

I'm pretty sure OTT even said it wouldn't have been Tarasenko. Who knows who they would've taken had STL not wanted to do that deal.

Fulcrum

Wouldn't be fun if he signed a large contract with Ufa for example, and skipped the whole NHL idea... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad