Tapes of old Soviet hockey games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm willing to buy tapes of old Soviet national team hockey games. One game I´m particularly interested in is the game from the 1981 WC from Sweden (CCCP - Sweden 13-1). But other games interest me as well.

I´d be thankfull for your response.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Peter25 said:
I'm willing to buy tapes of old Soviet national team hockey games. One game I´m particularly interested in is the game from the 1981 WC from Sweden (CCCP - Sweden 13-1). But other games interest me as well.

I´d be thankfull for your response.

You enjoy watching Swedes suffer, don't you? ;)

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Masao said:
You enjoy watching Swedes suffer, don't you? ;)

That´s not correct. I enjoy the Russians/Soviets win hockey games no matter who´s the opponent.

That 1981 hockey game just happens to be probably the most dominating performance a hockey team has ever put up. That Swedish team had guys like Loob, Steen, Nilsson, Naslund, Jonsson, Eldebrink and Gustafsson and they were playing for their home crowd - and were still trounced 1-13! The odd thing is that the first period was scoreless. Then Team Soviet won the second period 6-0 and the third period 7-1. :bow:

I have wanted to see this game for a long time but nobody seems to have a copy of it. Although I undestand why very few Swedes would want to save this kind of humilition on tape for over 20 years :D

But if there´s only one I would be more than happy.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I saw a copy of this game on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. I was going to bid on it in fact, but I wasn't able to find it before the auction was supposed to end.

Try Ebay, you might get lucky..

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Soviet games

According to my archival records, this particular game doesn't seem to have been preserved. The only Russian game from the 1981 Worlds that has been saved on tape was the Canada-Russia game.

There are numerous Russian hockey games that exist going all the way back to 1955.

Peter25 said:
That´s not correct. I enjoy the Russians/Soviets win hockey games no matter who´s the opponent.

That 1981 hockey game just happens to be probably the most dominating performance a hockey team has ever put up. That Swedish team had guys like Loob, Steen, Nilsson, Naslund, Jonsson, Eldebrink and Gustafsson and they were playing for their home crowd - and were still trounced 1-13! The odd thing is that the first period was scoreless. Then Team Soviet won the second period 6-0 and the third period 7-1. :bow:

I have wanted to see this game for a long time but nobody seems to have a copy of it. Although I undestand why very few Swedes would want to save this kind of humilition on tape for over 20 years :D

But if there´s only one I would be more than happy.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
ClassicHockey said:
According to my archival records, this particular game doesn't seem to have been preserved. The only Russian game from the 1981 Worlds that has been saved on tape was the Canada-Russia game.

There are numerous Russian hockey games that exist going all the way back to 1955.

Are you sure, or do you mean only on Canadian/U.S. tv?

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I saw on Swedish tv (SVT) footage from this game last spring, it was just before World Champs, maybe during Sweden vs. Russia in a pre-tournament game. I remember they showed quite a few goals (if not all) and they interviewed some Swedish player, who played in that very game. Maybe they have the game in its' entirety?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Sweden games

My info is based on what mostly exists in North America. There is a lot of old footage coming out of Russia now - some amazing stuff - and maybe the Swedish archives are opening up. If you have contacts with SVT, ask them.

Better still, ask them if they have the 2 exhibition games between Team Canada and Sweden in 1972 before Team Canada went to Russia. Those games are very valuable.

gary69 said:
Are you sure, or do you mean only on Canadian/U.S. tv?

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I saw on Swedish tv (SVT) footage from this game last spring, it was just before World Champs, maybe during Sweden vs. Russia in a pre-tournament game. I remember they showed quite a few goals (if not all) and they interviewed some Swedish player, who played in that very game. Maybe they have the game in its' entirety?

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
My info is based on what mostly exists in North America. There is a lot of old footage coming out of Russia now - some amazing stuff - and maybe the Swedish archives are opening up. If you have contacts with SVT, ask them.

Better still, ask them if they have the 2 exhibition games between Team Canada and Sweden in 1972 before Team Canada went to Russia. Those games are very valuable.

was one of those games when Cashman had his tongue sliced in two?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Cashman

That's right, by Ulf Sterner who had briefly played in the NHL with the Rangers 7 years earlier.

chooch said:
was one of those games when Cashman had his tongue sliced in two?

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
That's right, by Ulf Sterner who had briefly played in the NHL with the Rangers 7 years earlier.
I know after the exhibitions v. Team Canada him a bunch of other swedes left to attend the WHA Chicago Cougars camp. Doesnt look like they stuck.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Oh, hello Peter25. I think we did some business a few months back?

Anyway, what is so great about seeing Soviets trash their opponents? As far as World Championships are concerned, I´d much rather see that last game of WCs ´78 in Prague where Soviets had to beat Czechoslovakia by two goals (which they did, 3-1 :handclap: )

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Marcus-74 said:
Oh, hello Peter25. I think we did some business a few months back?

I think you mix me with someone else. I haven´t bought new hockey tapes for a couple of years.

Marcus-74 said:
Anyway, what is so great about seeing Soviets trash their opponents?

I like the Soviet style of hockey and the 1981 game represents the finest version of it. Of course that game had zero tension because the Russians were so superior to Swedes, but it was a great game in another way. I have read that the Soviet game was more like art than sport and the play was so one-sided that some Swedish players were actually crying on the bench! I don´t want to see Swedish players cry, but I want so see that astonishing display of artistry that Team Soviet displayed in that particular game.

Marcus-74 said:
As far as World Championships are concerned, I´d much rather see that last game of WCs ´78 in Prague where Soviets had to beat Czechoslovakia by two goals (which they did, 3-1 :handclap: )

Yes, that was a great game. That game was close up until to final minutes, when the experienced team captain Boris Mikhailov and the young Sergei Makarov scored two quick goals for the USSR.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Peter25 said:
I think you mix me with someone else. I haven´t bought new hockey tapes for a couple of years.

No, I mean I bought a couple of games from you (Challenge Cup, Canada Cup ´87), I think?

Peter25 said:
Yes, that was a great game. That game was close up until to final minutes, when the experienced team captain Boris Mikhailov and the young Sergei Makarov scored two quick goals for the USSR.

Sorry to nitpick, but the goal scorers in that game (for the Soviets) were Balderis, Vladimir Golikov and Petrov. Maybe you´re thinking about the Izvestia game (also ´78, I believe?) where the Soviets were again two goals down against CSSR in the final minutes, and needed to get at least a tie to win the tournament(?)... and managed to do so.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Marcus-74 said:
No, I mean I bought a couple of games from you (Challenge Cup, Canada Cup ´87), I think?

Are you in Jatkoaika?

Marcus-74 said:
Sorry to nitpick, but the goal scorers in that game (for the Soviets) were Balderis, Vladimir Golikov and Petrov. Maybe you´re thinking about the Izvestia game (also ´78, I believe?) where the Soviets were again two goals down against CSSR in the final minutes, and needed to get at least a tie to win the tournament(?)... and managed to do so.

Maybe, I just remembered that those goal scorers in 78 were Mikhailov and Makarov.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Peter25 said:
Are you in Jatkoaika?

No, but your name and "writing style" reminded me of the guy I bought those games from. But let´s forget the whole thing; maybe I was mistaken, maybe not...

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
russianrocket24 said:
Hi Peter,

try this: http://www.tretyak20.narod.ru/
That guy has tons of old Soviet games on tape and sells them. Let me know if you can find the CCCP-Sweden game in his collection. If not let me know, I have the game on DVD.

www.russianrocket.de

I checked that site and he has a lot of games in his collection but that particular game is missing.

Would you give me your email and I'll ask more details?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad