Player Discussion Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Disagree. McCann alone is better than Pearson, then we gave up an early 2nd and another pick swap too.

And we had to suffer watching Gudbranson for almost 3 years.

I think you missed the sarcasm...butI’m not sure McCann is better than Pearson at this point in their careers. However yes, that 2nd was flushed down the toilet and I am still washing out my eyes with vinegar to cleanse them from watching Gudbranson.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Disagree. McCann alone is better than Pearson, then we gave up an early 2nd and another pick swap too.

And we had to suffer watching Gudbranson for almost 3 years.
Less significantly but shows the throw away of assets: we also threw in a 4th round pick and took back a 5th round pick lol like downgrading picks was necessary in the Gudbranson for Mccann and 33rd overall :laugh:

Reactions: travis scott

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The Gudbranson for McCann+ trade was a bad trade. Case closed. We did not get a top 4 Dman entering his prime. Florida did not get a young top 6 player or elite level 3rd line C in McCann either.

The Gudbranson for Pearson trade, however, was a great trade. The Penguins traded Gudbranson for an AHL player and a 7th round pick. Clearly the Canucks won the Pearson for Gudbranson trade.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I have to take issue with this. More and more these days, I'm coming to the conclusion that the original trade for Gudbranson was poor value. I think more fans will realize this as time goes on.

This is an odd post considering that the Gudbranson trade was almost universally panned. Which side or contingent do you think you are mocking here?

Tanner Pearson is a far superior hockey player to Jared McCann

Based upon what analysis?

Also, follow up question: Which player is the better asset, in your opinion?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

McCann has been a better 5v5 scorer this year, despite centering the 2nd line in Crosby's absence with Tanev and Kahun on his wings and has far better underlying metrics. Pearson has been better on the PP and at scoring into empty nets. I like Pearson but he's definitely not far superior.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sure. But we probably could have had both. Just not traded McCann. And picked up Pearson for cheap because the Penguins wanted to get rid of him. The whole Gudbranson mess plus the extra pick we lost wasn’t necessary in order to end up with Pearson.

On another note, I was surprised to hear that Pearson was passed over in two successive drafts. You have to really appreciate the tenacity he’s shown not to have given up and then to have revived his career again in Vancouver. He seems like a really likeable guy and easy to cheer for.

Reactions: Hit the post

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Looking at how strong the Pens lineup it seems like most AHL guys they plugged into their system somehow just works. I just don't have any idea why Pearson didn't fit there but is a good fit for us...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Can't agree here. McCann is a far superior skater; can shift from wing to center with equal facility; and is still only 23.....and a lot more upside before he hits Tanner Pearson's age.

Pretty obvious the Canucks gave up on him too soon; but then so did the Panthers.

But still, Pearson is a decent consolation prize. When Jimbo traded for Gudbranson and then signed him to that ridiculous extension, I figured there'd be no way of ever unloading him. Thank-you Jim Rutherford.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It would be if Pearson and Toffoli weren’t playing their off wings

I have mixed views on acquiring him, for starters he’s a pure rental and it’s unlikely we resign him next year. We also gave up a first in the Miller trade so I’m very leery of giving up more futures.

I realized after I posted they were on the wrong wings, but the point is the same.

I've been on team tank for a while (and still think that is long-term best course of action), but that ship has sailed. Benning wants to compete. Alright then. Let's compete. The West is currently a joke. Let's go for it then.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think you missed the sarcasm...butI’m not sure McCann is better than Pearson at this point in their careers. However yes, that 2nd was flushed down the toilet and I am still washing out my eyes with vinegar to cleanse them from watching Gudbranson.
Cap hits are what makes McCann far more valuable to the Canucks that Pearson. Course, this wouldn’t be much of an issue if 6 million wasn’t wasted on a guy that has a good stretch of games once every three+ seasons.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Uh no. One is a far better center than the other and that is the more valuable position, especially one that can handle a defensive role. And you’re assuming McCann development will flatline at the age of 23. Look at the breakthrough Virtanen is making this season for the fallacy in that line of thinking.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Let's be happy with that value we got for Pearson who's probably worth a late first/early 2nd but not get too silly. Mccan is definitely more Valuable. A 23-year-old cost control center that has been pacing on a 20-25/45-50 pace is amazing.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Let's be happy with that value we got for Pearson who's probably worth a late first/early 2nd but not get too silly. Mccan is definitely more Valuable. A 23-year-old cost control center that has been pacing on a 20-25/45-50 pace is amazing.
Yup good job at unloading that useless stiff Guds and getting a useful player in return.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
How good is he really? What should we expect going forward

I think he's a guy who needs someone on his line to create offence, but he's a good finisher, and you need that.

He's locked up til the end of '20-'21, but I'd be happy with a 4x5 deal, get him for the last years of his prime as a Top-6 winger along with Miller, Boeser, Toffoli (fingers crossed), Podkolzin & Hoglander coming up as well for when the team will be ready for a big-time cup run.

Not sure where Virtanen fits in, I hope he's a good Top-9 guy who is comfortable filling in wherever needed. Then you have Bo, Petey and Gaudette up the middle, pretty killer forward group if you can keep it together.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I meant production and salary wise.
He's a 40-50 pt 2LW that is good defensively and strong at board play.
Would think his career from this point forward will be very similar to Chris Higgins 2011 and on with slightly better numbers due to the age of this core vs that teams.

Salary wise i wouldn't extend beyond 4 yrs and the same 3.75 he's making currently...ideally 3 x 4 if it makes sense to retain him

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
I think Tanner Pearson deserves some credit, as he has been absolutely huge for the Canucks thus far, especially for a "slow OK bottom-6 player" as evaluated by MS.

Meanwhile absolute stud, incredible even-strength offence provider McCann was healthy scratched for half the Penguins' playoff games.

Overall, a pretty amusing thread to revisit, although the "Tanner Pearson GTFO thread" is even better.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Tanner Pearson deserves some credit, as he has been absolutely huge for the Canucks thus far, especially for a "slow OK bottom-6 player" as evaluated by MS.

Meanwhile absolute stud, incredible even-strength offence provider McCann was healthy scratched for half the Penguins' playoff games.

Overall, a pretty amusing thread to revisit, although the "Tanner Pearson GTFO thread" is even better.

Chalk up another loss for the pundits.

Pearson is worth his trade value and more. He's been playing on another gear and is creating offence. McCann is trending towards an average, replacement level forward.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Just imagine if the Canucks had Pettersson/Horvat/Bonino/McCann down the middle. That's a whole lot better than having Sutter/Beagle. Could convert Gaudette into a winger (which should have been done a while back). That would make the team deep down the middle with plenty of speed that McCann brings and Bonino's clutchness in the playoffs.

Tanner Pearson is having a great playoffs but considering he was traded for a cap dump player it's pretty obvious that they could get him for free anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad