GDT: TankTown Express: Why Are they Flying?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
realistically, what sort of record would it take to have a great shot at a top 3 pick?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
realistically, what sort of record would it take to have a great shot at a top 3 pick?
To finish with bottom 3 record can probably only take about 10 more points, which ain’t gonna happen. But every spot we move down increases odds of lucky balls.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
This is the 4th time I've tried to log on just before or during a game, and being rejected with a message saying something about security issues. I looked at all my security settings in my computer, in my browser settings, ad blockers, etc. and nothing there should be blocking me. And, the fact that I got in now leads me to believe that nothing is wrong from MY end. Maybe my "ban" for "taking over threads" and posting Off Topic on them" goes off and on based on The Mods' moods???

Anyway, it doesn't matter much, as The Blues have lost all hope, and we might as well "embrace the tank". Has anyone heard any news on Thomas' injury?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
This is the 4th time I've tried to log on just before or during a game, and being rejected with a message saying something about security issues. I looked at all my security settings in my computer, in my browser settings, ad blockers, etc. and nothing there should be blocking me. And, the fact that I got in now leads me to believe that nothing is wrong from MY end. Maybe my "ban" for "taking over threads" and posting Off Topic on them" goes off and on based on The Mods' moods???

Anyway, it doesn't matter much, as The Blues have lost all hope, and we might as well "embrace the tank". Has anyone heard any news on Thomas' injury?
Thomas is still "Sore"

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Robert, how are you feeling?

“Pretty good, should be ready to go after the break.”

(Whack!)

Robert, how are you feeling?

“Well, now I’m hurting a little again.”

Ok, we’ll rest you another month or 2, and check back with you then, just out of an abundance of caution.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Thomas is still "Sore"
I don't doubt that one bit, after watching that puck hit in the worst place possible. I imagine it would be very painful to change direction while skating (probably even just walking is very painful, and will be improving only very slowly over, at the very least, several more days.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Team is far better than they’re playing. It’s shameful and pathetic to the logo on the chest.

Our lineup today had Noel Acciari and Ivan Barbashev in top 6 roles, and our defense is the same aging, not particularly good defense we've had all season. Maybe you can say this when we are fully healthy, but this current lineup is one of the 10 worst in hockey right now, and I don't think it's particularly close.

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017
Our lineup today had Noel Acciari and Ivan Barbashev in top 6 roles, and our defense is the same aging, not particularly good defense we've had all season. Maybe you can say this when we are fully healthy, but this current lineup is one of the 10 worst in hockey right now, and I don't think it's particularly close.
I’d say it’s closer to worst than 10th worst, too.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm happier about us blowing a 2 goal lead in the 3rd and earning zero points in the standings than I'd have been if we had held on for a win or OT loss. The ship has sailed for playoffs and it is now in the long-term best interest of the organization to finish as low in the standings as possible. Sometimes I see value in a team still battling in a lost season, but the current injuries to the forward group prevent me from holding any negative opinions about the group crumpling.

This team should be expected to lose any game where Thomas, ROR and Buch are all out of the lineup. Those three have been are three most-played forwards this year and last. ROR and Thomas are the team's #1 and #2 centers. I think Buch is the team's #1 winger and I don't think there is a case that he is outside the top 2. At worst, ROR and Buch are both among the team's top 3 defensive forwards. An NHL team running Schenn, Acciari, Alexandrov and Brown down the middle should be a heavy underdog most nights. Schenn is a 2C, Acciari is a 3C at best and Alexandrov/Brown are noticeably below replacement-level centers.

Kyrou was the only forward in the lineup last night who is a clear top line player and his strength is not defense. Schenn and Tarasenko are both 2nd line players. Barby and Saad are both capable of playing in the top 6, but I'd describe them both as middle 6 (or top 9) caliber guys rather than top 6 caliber guys. The large majority of NHL teams are bringing a noticeably better top 6 to the rink. And most the ones who aren't are making a strategic decision to spread talent among 3 forward lines and should be expected to steamroll the glorified 4th line we are currently having to dress as a 3rd line.

The 3+ goals in one period stat is absolutely a season-long concern and needs to be a huge chunk of the off-season assessment of this team. But having it happen last night doesn't move the needle for me at all and I'm content with this team earning no points.

Last edited:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Credit where credit is due, Binny played a good game. I've seen a lot of stuff out there where ROR is currently being shopped. It's coming from several sources so I'd say the bidding war has started. I've not seen much out of Tank. I'm really hoping one of the teams that is really knocking on the door of a cup win shows interest and he's looking for another cup. Otherwise, he could really screw us over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad