Tankophile vs Philophobe

Which are you?

• Total voters

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
One of the overlooked benefits of a long playoff drought is that we have time to ponder the greater questions in life. This exploration of deep universal truths makes us much deeper human beings than our playoff bound brethren. Have you hugged a fan of a playoff team today? They don't know what they're missing.

Which are you?
You can only pick one.

Tankophile - one who supports tanking primarily to secure a better draft position

Philophobe - you want Housley gone, you want it done yesterday. Sure it would be nice to draft higher, but you support the tank because you see it as the swiftest path to firing Housley

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I was a true tankophile from 2013-15 and haven't been since. Now, I am one just by necessity as there's little else to cheer for.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I haven’t wanted to tank since 2015. That was a 1 year wonder. I don’t want to lose games right now, even if it did cost 1-2 spots.

I hate Phil Housley as our coach, for an encyclopedia’s worth of reasons. I hate our GM for most of those same reasons.

Based on the definitions above, I’m neither, but I picked the Phil hater.

I’m anti-Sabres being arguably the very worst hockey organization in 2019.

Reactions: Chainshot

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Philophobe.
I've met the guy; he was pleasant to talk with, but he can't coach his way out of a game of hopscotch. Get him the f*** out of here.

Reactions: Fearnot

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Never despised a coach as much as Phil
Never saw a coach being kept that long with his record..is he already sub 0.400 Win% ?
It was apparant in January that they re gonna miss the playoffs if they re not getting some help.
My tank spirit just awoke the last 2 weeks..
But now writing this I know my primary wish is they don't win a game so the man with the bubblegum who vacates the spot behind the bench reserved for coaches is gone!!!

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I like to consider myself a Philanthropist --- it is for the good of all mankind (or at least the good of all Sabres fans) that I hope to see Phil gone

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Seriously?

Rolston?
Bylsma at the end?
That's just off the top of my hockey mind..
Nolan wasn't here that long and he had less talent than Rochester now... at least his team gave the effort.
Rolston was too short to care..he probably is near Housley level.
Bylsma was terrible but not nearly as terrible as Phil.

Reactions: brian_griffin

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
I'm sick of tanking, I want playoff hockey. There's nothing I can do about what's happening this year, its already done, might as well get a high draft pick, but if I see a tank thread next year, that might be my final straw, might be time to abandon ship. If Phil stays, I probably wont get the NHL package for the first time since its inception.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Seriously?

Rolston?
Bylsma at the end?
That's just off the top of my hockey mind..

I probably despised Bylsma more than anyone. He was the guy I said I didn't want us to hire... and then we hired him. So I was deeply biased from the beginning. My opinion on Bylsma hasn't changed. But he put an ~80 point team out there in Eichel/Reinhart rookie and sophmore seasons. Botts/Housley had the benefit of two of the teams best players coming in to their prime and came in last place in their 3rd and 4th seasons.

Bylsma was a bad coach... but Housley is what happens when you actually keep Ron Rolston employed for 2 full seasons.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I probably despised Bylsma more than anyone. He was the guy I said I didn't want us to hire... and then we hired him. So I was deeply biased from the beginning. My opinion on Bylsma hasn't changed. But he put an ~80 point team out there in Eichel/Reinhart rookie and sophmore seasons. Botts/Housley had the benefit of two of the teams best players coming in to their prime and came in last place in their 3rd and 4th seasons.

Bylsma was a bad coach... but Housley is what happens when you actually keep Ron Rolston employed for 2 full seasons.

Come on now, that's not fair to Rolston. Rolston at least was successful at the minor league level.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I think the core's good enough as is to be adequately supplemented without top-5 picks and coached to success. I don't see that happening with Phil and Botts though

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I feel like once you're eliminated from playoff contention the best possible scenario is getting the highest pick possible. If you draft 14th you're not getting as good of a player as you would as a top 5 pick (historically speaking).

This year we are accomplishing two birds with one stone. The more we lose, the higher likelihood Housley is gone, so I'm all for losing the next two games to see us get a top 3 pick and him canned.

Reactions: paulmm3

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I proudly said anybody would be better than Bylsma.

I do believe the players today are in better shape to be coached into a new system, as nobody on the team could even make a tape to tape pass by the end of Bylsma's reign. But that only puts Housley marginally better than Bylsma, which for all intents and purposes, still gets Housley rounded down into the pile of trash he and his compadres are.

Philophobe.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Philophobe. Tanking is appropriate if it is a surgical strike. After we got Eichel, we needed to transition to something more, or risk becoming the Oilers. We are now the Oilers. We have a core of players with a loser mentality, and this environment (along with our clueless coaches) has actively damaged the development of our once promising prospects.

So here we sit, fingers crossed for another lottery pick. For this player to make any notable difference, we need a new coach. We need a better system, a better locker room, more depth and support. I have no confidence that this organization can properly identify a good head coach, much less actually get one to sign here. But it cannot be Phil. It never will be Phil. If we cannot attract an AV or Q, at least hand the reins to Chris Taylor.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Nolan wasn't here that long and he had less talent than Rochester now... at least his team gave the effort.
Rolston was too short to care..he probably is near Housley level.
Bylsma was terrible but not nearly as terrible as Phil.
These are my sentiments as well. Plus, there were no expectations for Nolan's teams.

I feel like once you're eliminated from playoff contention the best possible scenario is getting the highest pick possible. If you draft 14th you're not getting as good of a player as you would as a top 5 pick (historically speaking).

This year we are accomplishing two birds with one stone. The more we lose, the higher likelihood Housley is gone, so I'm all for losing the next two games to see us get a top 3 pick and him canned.
It takes a truly special kind of focused, cohesive suck in any sport to go from last place / 31st (1st team ever in NHL to finish 31st) to 1st place and then back down to 28th/29th/30th in exactly 12 months.

Philophobe.

==========
As to the great philosophical questions in life, I still come back to one I articulated over three decades ago: Which are worse - sins of omission, or sins of commission? I'll likely die not having satisfactorily answered that dilemma.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Would I love the Sabres to get the #1 pick? Absolutely! That being said, 3 or 4 "elite" players does not make a team. Even if we draft Hughes or Kakko and sign Skinner, this team is not ready to compete. We need more from our GM, Coach and all members of staff to identify, develop and devise a plan to make the most of player strengths.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Almost everybody saying that they want wins and dont care about draft position, Get back to me when the season is done and its the day of the lottery you will then see how meaningless these wins vs Ottawa and Detroit are, and would be salavating for a 39% at top 3 compared to 23% for a top 3 if we are 5th/6th OA.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
NHL Power Rankings: That's a (W)Rap Edition - Sportsnet.ca

buffalo-sabres.png
Buffalo
Sabres

Up the in the sky! Vultures swirling ’round Phil Housley
Exit meetings: “Tell me, do you really feel Housley?”

:lol:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Almost everybody saying that they want wins and dont care about draft position, Get back to me when the season is done and its the day of the lottery you will then see how meaningless these wins vs Ottawa and Detroit are, and would be salavating for a 39% at top 3 compared to 23% for a top 3 if we are 5th/6th OA.

Can you imagine the end of year presser, "Two game winning streak to finish the season is the primary reason we are extending Phil. All the communication finally paid off with tangible progress. Trust the process. Who is ready to buy season's tickets?":D

Reactions: Willgamesh

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I seem to recall everyone turning on Dudley pretty quick. The talent level of the team is high enough that being outpeformed by Ted Nolan is a stunning indictment.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Canucks are really regretting picking Pettersson since they moved down to 5.....its not like they is a huge drop off after the top 2 sure they are clearly the best two but the others in the top 10 really aren't that far behind.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
when I really look at the truth of the matter i have to admit that I am but a tankophile. I can't fire Phil myself, so why be in a huff about it? what I can do, however, is root for us to lose, for if we lose we are guaranteed pretty decent odds at landing a pick in the top 3. is it a perfect outlook? i couldn't say. but does it work? yes, it does

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad