Tanking

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
I hope Seattle Kraken suck so bad in there first year I would like to see them get the first pick over all in 2022 NHL draft Seattle Kraken are proud to select from Kingston Frontinacs forward Shane Wright.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Teams don't really lose on purpose. Since the rules are the same as Vegas' expansion draft I suspect Seattle will be picking some solid, if unspectacular, picks. They will have top 6 forwards, top 4 defenseman and competent goaltending.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Intentionally losing doesn't guarantee any team the first overall pick in the entry draft cause of the lottery. Detroit had the best odds to land Laf, they dropped 3 spots in the draft to the 4th pick as the results of the lottery.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Like @gstommylee said, finishing with the worst record doesn't guarantee you the #1 pick.
It gives you a chance to draft in the top four but that #4 pick is actually the most likely outcome(percentage wise) for the team with the worst record.

Overall I don't expect anything like Vegas for us given that teams, unlike with Vegas, had quite some time to prepare for the expansion draft(which you can clearly see during this offseason etc.) and won't be that inclined to cut deals with us like they did with the Golden Knights.

I still expect us to be solid but best case would probably playing for a playoff spot, if everything goes well.
Though, right now we should all just enjoy the ride and excitement of being part of something new that is headed toward an expansion draft.
I myself am consistantly looking at Cap Friendly's Seattle Expansion site and what might happen within the league or which player could become available for us.

Goals for the first season and what we should or shouldn't do is something we can start worrying about once we actually have players and start the inaugural season.

As far as the 2022 draft goes.
Adding Shane Wright would be fantastic, but with the lottery you never know and it also seems like there are a couple more high end prospects(also at the center spot) available in the top 10 of the 2022 entry draft.

Reactions: G Backup

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Overall I don't expect anything like Vegas for us given that teams, unlike with Vegas, had quite some time to prepare for the expansion draft(which you can clearly see during this offseason etc.) and won't be that inclined to cut deals with us like they did with the Golden Knights.

Teams still had a full year before the Vegas expansion draft. Some teams may be more cautious after seeing what happened with them though, but all it takes is one Florida or Minnesota to pick up an extra player.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Teams still had a full year before the Vegas expansion draft. Some teams may be more cautious after seeing what happened with them though, but all it takes is one Florida or Minnesota to pick up an extra player.

Sure, but they had 2 1/2 years before we came in and were able to structure their contracts in a way that helped them with the expansion draft.
Something you can clearly see with those contracts for goalies or the lack of NMC's being handed out for the past two years etc.

With Vegas they had one year and already rosters with contracts(and clauses in them) that went beyond that.
And it's hard(way harder than what they had with us) to try and react to that within one year and basically just one trading deadline available to restructure your roster.

Though, our advantage should be the flat cap and some teams being in need to shed salary.
That is our chance to make trades and receive prospects/picks for doing so.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure, but they had 2 1/2 years before we came in and were able to structure their contracts in a way that helped them with the expansion draft.
Something you can clearly see with those contracts for goalies or the lack of NMC's being handed out for the past two years etc.

With Vegas they had one year and already rosters with contracts(and clauses in them) that went beyond that.
And it's hard(way harder than what they had with us) to try and react to that within one year and basically just one trading deadline available to restructure your roster.

Though, our advantage should be the flat cap and some teams being in need to shed salary.
That is our chance to make trades and receive prospects/picks for doing so.
Teams were more careful about NMC. Michael Ferland got 2/4 years with NMC which ends in 20-21 season, thus making him eligible for the ED. Had he signed back in around 2015 or so, he likely would have gotten more NMC years.

Teams were handing those out like candy in around 2013-2015. Anaheim, upon acquiring Kevin Bieksa in June 2015, gave him a new 2 year deal (added to the 1 year he had left when they got him), with a full NMC. Then the Vegas was announced. So, they got caught.

Teams won't get caught with NMC that they don't want.

I even think the likes of Parise who will be entering the low cash years of his back diving contract will waive for the ED expecting Seattle to pass on him given his contract.

Where Seattle can do well is to acquire second line talent that is making $4-$5 million, like you see on TB roster like Gourde, Johnson, Palat. They can probably get a 2nd round pick or something from TB to select that type of player due to the flat cap.

Those are the types of deals I see Seattle doing. pick up solid 2nd line type talent which teams can't afford to have given the flat cap since they will be short around $6 mill of the cap since without Covid, the cap would be around $84 million this season and should have been around $87 million when Seattle enters, but will still be $81.5 mill instead.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I can’t see us being a terrible enough team to earn the highest lottery odds barring a colossal failure in the E.D. While we’ll lack star power our depth should be fantastic and the envy of many teams.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I can’t see us being a terrible enough team to earn the highest lottery odds barring a colossal failure in the E.D. While we’ll lack star power our depth should be fantastic and the envy of many teams.
I am starting to feel the same way. I know that teams have had more time to prepare for the expansion draft but the flat cap has messed things up for them a lot. We will be in position to make some good deals (taking on salary) as well as get some solid roster players for no other reason that teams are in a cap crunch.

I would say that we ice a roster decent enough to make a push for the playoffs. If we miss, I don't think it will be because of the roster but most likely coaching.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
No point to go this route with the current expansion draft rules. You can actually get a decent team right from the start.

And you really can't undermine the effect of WINNING on everything in the long run. The brand, the fans, the income, the free agents, the team's culture...

Reactions: GOilers88

Golddusttwin

Apr 11, 2012
You gotta give your best effort and emotionally bring as many fans in as possible. I have a boatload of friends that want to be a fan, but they didn't grow up in a city that had NHL hockey, we need to hook them in to a competitive team and springboard them forward. I am stoked regardless the tentacles have grabbed me win or lose, but the new hockey fan interest is where the franchise will make the difference and if we don't put a exciting team out there it might be hard to grab them later. Freakin' A!! I'm so excited for a local NHL team to root for, Release the Kraken!!!

Reactions: cphabs

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Tanking is a bad way to start a positive culture, especially with a brand new franchise. I hope we can be more like Las Vegas.
I am tempering expectations and don't quite expect us to be like Vegas but if the management leverages the flat cap to our advantage we can grab a combination of fairly useful roster players as well as picks. I expect us to be a playoff team in 2022-23.

I do think that culture is critical. Have a coach in place that players actually listen to and have some vets on the team that lead by example on the ice. They don't have to be superstars but need to make sure that they play the system and play hard.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
It disgusts me that certain other NHL teams have done it. It may be a "smart" thing to do in certain years but I don't want to feel that way about my new home team.
Besides, Shane Wright isn't the only potential 1C who will be coming out-- 2022 looks like one hell of a good draft.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It disgusts me that certain other NHL teams have done it. It may be a "smart" thing to do in certain years but I don't want to feel that way about my new home team.
Besides, Shane Wright isn't the only potential 1C who will be coming out-- 2022 looks like one hell of a good draft.
Take about 20% off there Squirelly Dan .. :)

J.K. It does not quite disgust me but teams with internal caps can have issues where they have to go through tanks/rebuilds to stay competitive. You don't have to coach to lose but if the GM sells the farm because that is the only way to stock up the roster for the future, I get it. Also, we are going to be in our 1st season. Historically expansion teams have been pretty bad in their first seasons. Vegas was an outlier. I expect us to be a bubble playoff team if all things go well. If not, I expect us to draft top-10 in 2022-23.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
If they ice the best team they can and the results aren't great, so be it. I can live with not making the playoffs right away.
Seattle won't be in a position to tank the way I was referring to anyway, since that would require having high end players to sell off in the first place.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If they ice the best team they can and the results aren't great, so be it. I can live with not making the playoffs right away.
Seattle won't be in a position to tank the way I was referring to anyway, since that would require having high end players to sell off in the first place.
Bingo. I think if we stink it up the first season not many would be surprised. But doing crap like what the Philadelphia Eagles did is really something I would not prefer to do.

In a standard 82 game season though, it’s hard to tank from the start. Those decisions will come into play if you are maybe bottom-3 in the league by game 72. Heck, even then, there is no guarantee that you win the lottery if you end up as the worst team in the league.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
No tanking. Ice the best team you can and go for broke. It earns you more respect from your fans. Don't want to see another year of teams like Arizona and Buffalo try to out-tank each other, only for Edmonton to win the lottery and get one of the greatest players in a lifetime.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I will never, ever advocate for tanking. If they suck, fine. But deliberately trying to fail seems like one of the most disingenuous things a team could do for their fan base and epitomizes a loser mentality. I can’t emphasize this enough- f*** that.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad