Tanking

Discussion in 'Seattle Kraken' started by Neill99, Oct 22, 2020.

1. REMINDER: Political Discussion is NOT PERMITTED
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Neill99 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I hope Seattle Kraken suck so bad in there first year I would like to see them get the first pick over all in 2022 NHL draft Seattle Kraken are proud to select from Kingston Frontinacs forward Shane Wright.

2. Myllz RELEASE THE KRAKEN

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    IT Management
    I'd rather they just be good from the start ala Las Vegas.

3. Soundgarden Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    hanging out
    Teams don't really lose on purpose. Since the rules are the same as Vegas' expansion draft I suspect Seattle will be picking some solid, if unspectacular, picks. They will have top 6 forwards, top 4 defenseman and competent goaltending.

Fisticuffer likes this.
  4. gstommylee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Intentionally losing doesn't guarantee any team the first overall pick in the entry draft cause of the lottery. Detroit had the best odds to land Laf, they dropped 3 spots in the draft to the 4th pick as the results of the lottery.

5. RainyCityHockey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Like @gstommylee said, finishing with the worst record doesn't guarantee you the #1 pick.
    It gives you a chance to draft in the top four but that #4 pick is actually the most likely outcome(percentage wise) for the team with the worst record.

Overall I don't expect anything like Vegas for us given that teams, unlike with Vegas, had quite some time to prepare for the expansion draft(which you can clearly see during this offseason etc.) and won't be that inclined to cut deals with us like they did with the Golden Knights.

I still expect us to be solid but best case would probably playing for a playoff spot, if everything goes well.
    Though, right now we should all just enjoy the ride and excitement of being part of something new that is headed toward an expansion draft.
    I myself am consistantly looking at Cap Friendly's Seattle Expansion site and what might happen within the league or which player could become available for us.

Goals for the first season and what we should or shouldn't do is something we can start worrying about once we actually have players and start the inaugural season.

As far as the 2022 draft goes.
    Adding Shane Wright would be fantastic, but with the lottery you never know and it also seems like there are a couple more high end prospects(also at the center spot) available in the top 10 of the 2022 entry draft.

G Backup likes this.
  6. Soundgarden Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    hanging out
    Teams still had a full year before the Vegas expansion draft. Some teams may be more cautious after seeing what happened with them though, but all it takes is one Florida or Minnesota to pick up an extra player.

7. RainyCityHockey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Sure, but they had 2 1/2 years before we came in and were able to structure their contracts in a way that helped them with the expansion draft.
    Something you can clearly see with those contracts for goalies or the lack of NMC's being handed out for the past two years etc.

With Vegas they had one year and already rosters with contracts(and clauses in them) that went beyond that.
    And it's hard(way harder than what they had with us) to try and react to that within one year and basically just one trading deadline available to restructure your roster.

Though, our advantage should be the flat cap and some teams being in need to shed salary.
    That is our chance to make trades and receive prospects/picks for doing so.

8. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Teams were more careful about NMC. Michael Ferland got 2/4 years with NMC which ends in 20-21 season, thus making him eligible for the ED. Had he signed back in around 2015 or so, he likely would have gotten more NMC years.

Teams were handing those out like candy in around 2013-2015. Anaheim, upon acquiring Kevin Bieksa in June 2015, gave him a new 2 year deal (added to the 1 year he had left when they got him), with a full NMC. Then the Vegas was announced. So, they got caught.

Teams won't get caught with NMC that they don't want.

I even think the likes of Parise who will be entering the low cash years of his back diving contract will waive for the ED expecting Seattle to pass on him given his contract.

Where Seattle can do well is to acquire second line talent that is making $4-$5 million, like you see on TB roster like Gourde, Johnson, Palat. They can probably get a 2nd round pick or something from TB to select that type of player due to the flat cap.

Those are the types of deals I see Seattle doing. pick up solid 2nd line type talent which teams can't afford to have given the flat cap since they will be short around $6 mill of the cap since without Covid, the cap would be around $84 million this season and should have been around $87 million when Seattle enters, but will still be $81.5 mill instead.

G Backup likes this.
  9. Fisticuffer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 5,000
    I can’t see us being a terrible enough team to earn the highest lottery odds barring a colossal failure in the E.D. While we’ll lack star power our depth should be fantastic and the envy of many teams.

G Backup likes this.
  10. Fistfullofbeer HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Cloud Engineer
    I am starting to feel the same way. I know that teams have had more time to prepare for the expansion draft but the flat cap has messed things up for them a lot. We will be in position to make some good deals (taking on salary) as well as get some solid roster players for no other reason that teams are in a cap crunch.

I would say that we ice a roster decent enough to make a push for the playoffs. If we miss, I don't think it will be because of the roster but most likely coaching.

11. traffic cone Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    No point to go this route with the current expansion draft rules. You can actually get a decent team right from the start.

And you really can't undermine the effect of WINNING on everything in the long run. The brand, the fans, the income, the free agents, the team's culture...

12. Golddusttwin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You gotta give your best effort and emotionally bring as many fans in as possible. I have a boatload of friends that want to be a fan, but they didn't grow up in a city that had NHL hockey, we need to hook them in to a competitive team and springboard them forward. I am stoked regardless the tentacles have grabbed me win or lose, but the new hockey fan interest is where the franchise will make the difference and if we don't put a exciting team out there it might be hard to grab them later. Freakin' A!! I'm so excited for a local NHL team to root for, Release the Kraken!!!

cphabs likes this.