Tanking will always be a perceived problem

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Going from worst record automatically gets better picks to having draft lottery that hasn't and will never change perception on teams tanking because as long as the draft has better chance to give better picks to teams with worse records their will always be a perception of teams tanking. Draft lottery does nothing but make it harder for honestly bad teams to get better and allow a bubble team just missed the playoffs a chance to become a contender right away if they are lucky. Stupid stupid stupid the draft lottery is. It solved nothing.

Players don't suck on purpose because it will effect their next contract. Coaches don't always healthy scratch their best players and have their worst play more.

Regarding GM's it isn't a GM fault that his team might not be a desirable location for free agents or that a player might want to leave the team to play somewhere else or if a player is willing to stay you might have to pay more. It is hard to build a good team and someone has to finish last 2nd to last 3rd to last and so on. Stop punishing those teams.

Tanking isn't a big problem like it is made out to be. I am sure their will always be people who believe their are teams tanking and it is a big problem no matter what is said.

I have heard about suggestions of holding a tournament from non playoff teams for reward teams that do better with better picks the problem with that is honestly bad teams will still be bad and miss out on better picks. Anything to punish honestly bad teams is not the way to go.

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
The playoff is the absolute worst possible idea, because you'd have hoards of fans of mediocre teams, hoping to miss the playoffs. You thought this year was bad, with fans cheering when the Sabers lost to the Coyotes? Imagine the HF meltdown when the Bruins fans erupt in celebration over slipping to ninth place, knowing full well that would be the only tournament that they have a chance to win.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
I still like the Gold Plan, where the top pick would go to the team who accumulates the most points after being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. IIRC, Edmonton would have won with that plan this season.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I still like the Gold Plan, where the top pick would go to the team who accumulates the most points after being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. IIRC, Edmonton would have won with that plan this season.

But honestly bad teams would still have a hard time winning it still isn't perfect. Honestly bad teams shouldn't be punished. Also with that if a team starts winning more after being eliminated I am sure their will be people saying see they tanked to get eliminated sooner and then started winning more after that. Their will always be a perception of some kind of tanking going on.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I don't believe in discouraging tanking. I believe in encouraging winning. I don't like a system where the bottom feeder teams are hurting themselves by winning. There should never be a system where teams who try to win is hurting themselves.

This has nothing to do with the draft. Keep the draft system the way it is. But make sure there is a reason for fans to root for their teams to win no matter what.

The perfect system for me is a system that encourages winning without hurting the bad teams.

SOME BRAINSTORMING IDEAS
Allow all non playoff teams to have a higher cap. The higher you finish, the more cap space you're allowed in the following season.

Give all non playoff teams a head start in free agency. The higher you finish, the earlier you can sign free agents. All playoff teams still have to wait until July 1st.

Allow for supplemental draft picks for all non playoff teams. But do it in the order of where the teams finish from highest to lowest. I think this would be perfect for maybe the 3rd round. Basically all non playoff teams would get two 3rd round picks. After all 30 teams make their normal 3rd round selection, the supplemental 3rd round goes into effect. The highest seeded non playoff teams gets to pick first in this supplemental round, and then we continues to draft in order of highest to lowest.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
But honestly bad teams would still have a hard time winning it still isn't perfect. Honestly bad teams shouldn't be punished. Also with that if a team starts winning more after being eliminated I am sure their will be people saying see they tanked to get eliminated sooner and then started winning more after that. Their will always be a perception of some kind of tanking going on.

I don't think this would really be an issue. GM's may tank, but players and coaches certainly don't. It would be very difficult for a team to flip the switch from awful to mediocre.

IMO the biggest flaw with that plan would be that there wouldn't be many sellers at the trade deadline.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I don't think this would really be an issue. GM's may tank, but players and coaches certainly don't. It would be very difficult for a team to flip the switch from awful to mediocre.

IMO the biggest flaw with that plan would be that there wouldn't be many sellers at the trade deadline.

I agree that players and coaches don't tank but their will always be others thinking that their had been some tanking going on especially if a team does manage to do better later. Also honestly bad teams would be punished and I don't like that.

The trade deadline will be effected that is a good point wonder how much of a effect will it have.

Nothing can be changed to change peoples perception of teams tanking that wouldn't also hurt honestly bad teams.

Last edited:

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
Maybe the only "fix" should be to encourage more tanking. This past season was kind of a blast.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Free market free agency on prospects is the only way to "eliminate" the concept of "tanking".

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Free market free agency on prospects is the only way to "eliminate" the concept of "tanking".

So no draft then just free agents for everyone who want to enter the NHL to remove tanking then how will bad teams get better with the prospects wanting to play for better teams?

Terrible terrible terrible idea this is.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
I agree that players and coaches don't tank but their will always be others thinking that their had been some tanking going on especially if a team does manage to do better later. Also honestly bad teams would be punished and I don't like that.

The trade deadline will be effected that is a good point wonder how much of a effect will it have.

Nothing can be changed to change peoples perception of teams tanking that wouldn't also hurt honestly bad teams.

And there are also still people who think Bush was behind 9/11. There will always be conspiracy theorists, especially if a team bottomed out and then somehow magically got better, or traded for a superstar. And how would it hurt bad teams? It would be almost impossible for a team within 10-15 points of the playoffs to win it.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
And there are also still people who think Bush was behind 9/11. There will always be conspiracy theorists, especially if a team bottomed out and then somehow magically got better, or traded for a superstar. And how would it hurt bad teams? It would be almost impossible for a team within 10-15 points of the playoffs to win it.

And that is what I am saying their will still be a perceived problem with tanking so why making it harder on the worst teams when that perception still will exist?

How many bottom teams trade for a superstar during the season?

Because the worst of the worst teams would still have a hard time winning making it harder to get the best picks.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Just make it so a team can have only a few top 3 picks in a short span. One or even twio years of being bad doesnt bother me. You need to give teams a way to climb out.

Imagine if Buffalo lost the lottery missing out on McDavid and the second best player was bobby Ryan. They would suck for a much longer time and accumulate many high picks because they dont have someone they can build around.

I like Ryan too i just dont think you build a team around him

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I don't believe in discouraging tanking. I believe in encouraging winning. I don't like a system where the bottom feeder teams are hurting themselves by winning. There should never be a system where teams who try to win is hurting themselves.

This has nothing to do with the draft. Keep the draft system the way it is. But make sure there is a reason for fans to root for their teams to win no matter what.

The perfect system for me is a system that encourages winning without hurting the bad teams.

SOME BRAINSTORMING IDEAS
Allow all non playoff teams to have a higher cap. The higher you finish, the more cap space you're allowed in the following season.

Give all non playoff teams a head start in free agency. The higher you finish, the earlier you can sign free agents. All playoff teams still have to wait until July 1st.

Allow for supplemental draft picks for all non playoff teams. But do it in the order of where the teams finish from highest to lowest. I think this would be perfect for maybe the 3rd round. Basically all non playoff teams would get two 3rd round picks. After all 30 teams make their normal 3rd round selection, the supplemental 3rd round goes into effect. The highest seeded non playoff teams gets to pick first in this supplemental round, and then we continues to draft in order of highest to lowest.

The bold really is a great way of putting it. Great post sir!

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Most points post elimination. I like that best from what I've seen so far I think.

I would like to have a number in there. Maybe last 20 games? This would make it impossible to start the season with hopes of that #1 pick by fielding a "AHL roster". If you just say "after your eliminated" then you could try to get eliminated earlier then the rest.

This idea would guarantee no team would ever bother "tanking" again. Would serve no purpose to start the season miserably and obviously no point to end on the same note. Also this would prevent cheapskate owners (Charles Wang) into getting rewarded anything.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX

So you'd tank as hard as possible in the beginning of the season...it would make this non-problem way worse

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I would like to have a number in there. Maybe last 20 games? This would make it impossible to start the season with hopes of that #1 pick by fielding a "AHL roster". If you just say "after your eliminated" then you could try to get eliminated earlier then the rest.

This idea would guarantee no team would ever bother "tanking" again. Would serve no purpose to start the season miserably and obviously no point to end on the same note. Also this would prevent cheapskate owners (Charles Wang) into getting rewarded anything.

I think the idea is that if you are eliminated earlier then you have a legitimately bad team and having extra time to get some wins after being eliminated would make up for the talent imbalance between a 30th place team and a 17th place team.

If we just picked a random "last 20 games" type of approach then we might as well give the 1st pick to the 17th place team as obviously they, being the best eliminated team, would get the most wins.

By making it after elimination the worst teams have an edge but still need to win.

SchultzSquared*

The system was better before... sure you had some teams who never got out of their rebuild (NYI FLA EDM) but the majority of teams who touched bottom three got that piece they needed and took off with it... it is no coincidence that almost every Cup winner in the last decade has a top three draft choice in a key position on it:

2006, CAR- Eric Staal (2nd OV 2003)
2009, PIT- Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/Staal
2010, BOS- Seguin
2011, CHI- Kane/Toews
2012, LAK- Doughty
2013, CHI- Kane/Toews
2014, LAK- Doughty

Really ANH and DET were the last to buck that trend... there was no point fixing what worked before... and now it is a mess where some teams may never get that help they need

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think discouraging player movement is the absolute worst thing the League could do.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
IMO the only problem is that 'tanking' is perceived as a problem. You're never going to stop crappy teams from trying to improve via the draft, because it's the best and sometimes the only reasonable way they can. If you're going to have a draft at all and attempt to establish parity, why shouldn't the worst team get the best available player?

The lottery does nothing but occasionally reward a team that isn't even that bad and punish the teams that are. Should teams like the Bruins or Kings really have even had a marginal shot at McDavid?

Either reverse the standings for the draft order or just scrap the draft altogether and let the kids sign where they want to. Sooner or later some utterly undeserving team is going to get a really good player and that's going to leave a much worse taste in everyone's mouth than the worst team in the league getting him.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

such an overblown "issue"

Honestly just let it go. Every single "solution" are completely ****ing stupid.
Most points after the TDL defeats the purpose of sellers at the deadline and eliminates asset accumulation
A tournament for the #1 pick is so incredibly stupid I laugh every time someone actually thinks its a good idea

None of your ideas are good. The system in place is fine. Until a team sits players and goes full 76ers, I don't believe in "ZOMG TANK FOR MCDAVID LOL"

****ing ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->