Tankhouse' 1st round Mock Draft

Tankhouse

Mar 21, 2011
Mock Draft By Tankhouse. Teams Organizational Needs as well as BPA are taken into account. Final four are based on how I think they will finish. Comments are welcomed

1. EDM- Ryan Nugent Hopkins. C- Red Deer Rebels WHL. 106pts, 75 Assists
No surprise here. An elite center to play with the likes of Hall and Eberle. May spend another year in junior.

2. COL- Gabriel Landeskog. LW-Kitchener Rangers OHL. 33 Goals 66 PTS.
The perfect player to play with Matt Duchene. posseses intagibles you cannot coach. He should play next year.

3. FLA- Sean Couturier. C-Drummondville QMJHL. 36Goals 96 pts
Big time scorer has NHL size. Could step in next year and compete for a job.

4. NJD- Adam Larsson. D-Skelleftea SWE. 6'3 200 lbs
Has everything needed to play immediatly. He will become the cornerstone of NJ's back end for years to come.

5. NYI- Dougie Hamilton. D- Niagra OHL. 6'4 193 lbs 58 pts
Big nasty Defencemen who can skate and pass. He could form an elite pairing with Hamonic or de Haan.

6. OTT-Johnathan Huberdeau. C- Saint John QMJHL. 105 pts
spent a good chunk of the year on the wing. Would look really good skating with Butler and Spezza.

7. ATL- Ryan Strome. C-Niagra OHL. 106pts
The seach for top tier Centre ends with this pick. Could play next year if he adds some wieght. Might turn out to be a suprise next season, ala Skinner.

8. CBJ. Ryan Murphy. D- Kitchener OHL. 79pts
The top offensive Defencemen in this years draft class will not make it past CBJ. The Jackets can take thier time with Ryan and let him develop properly.

9. BOS via TOR. Nathan Beaulieu. D- Saint John. 45 pts
Will play an even bigger role in SJ next year as many of thier top players will be gone. Boston can afford to take thier time with Nathan.

10. MIN. Joel Armia. LW- Assat FIN. 29pts in 45 games
Joel is a power forward with all the skills needed to score and skate at the NHL level, might play next year but will likely spend another year in the Finnish league honing his craft.

11. COL via STL. Oscar Klefbom. D- Farjestad SWE. 6'3 196 lbs
Making a major leap in the rankings Oscar has all the tools to be a shutdown defender in the NHL. Will likely spend another year in Sweden.

12. CAR. Sven Bartschi. LW- Portland WHL. 34Goals 85 pts
The Swiss sensation will need some time to develop, but when he makes the jump he will be a big time scorer for the Hurricanes.

13. CAL. Mika Zibanjed. C- Djurgarden SWE. 6'2 192 lbs
Mika was called up to the big club juring the World juniors stayed up for the rest of the year. He's close to making the jump but will likely spend another year in Sweden

14. DAL. Duncan Siemans. D- Saskatoon WHL. 6'3 196 43 pts 121 PIMs
Big, mean and nasty Duncan will be the cornestone for a Dallas organization in need of an identity on it's back end.

15. NYR. Connor Murphy. D- US U18 USHL. 6'3 195lbs
Another late riser in the rankings Connor was the hero for the US under 18's this year. He'll need some time to develop but should be a gem for the blueshirts in a couple years

16. BUF. Mark McNiell. C- Prince Albert WHL. 6'1 204 lbs 81 pts
A big Center with a scorers touch, McNiell should spend more time in junior to develop his all round game but already has NHL size

17. MTL. J.T. Miller. C US U18 USHL. 6'1 198lbs 37pts in 48 gmaes
Montreal has had a smallish top 6 and addresses thier need for some size in the top of thier lineup JT needs time but will fit in nicely with the youth in the Habs system.

18. CHI. Niklas Jensen. LW-Oshawa OHL. 6'2 188 lbs 58pts
Chicago is solid on the backend and down the middle. They opt to take a budding powerforward. Niklas has the size to play at the next level but he needs more experience.

19. EDM via L.A.. Jameison Oleksiak. D-Northeastern College. 6'7 244 lbs
With all the forwards they have drafted over the last couple years the Oil use this pick to draft what should be the rock of thier defence for years to come.

20. PHO. Mark Sheifele. C-Barrie OHL. 75 pts 6'2 182lbs
Mark was Canada's best forward at this years U18's. He needs to add some muscle to his tall frame but has all the tools to be a great player for Phoenix

21. OTT via NAS. Brandon Saad. LW Saginaw OHL. 6'1 208lbs 55pts
Ottawa in need of some size up front adds the big power forward from Pittsburg. He's a few years away from the NHL.

22. ANA. Scott Mayfield. D-Youngstown USHL. 6'4 197
Anahiem has a lack of toughness on thier backend. Scott needs to grow in to his 6.4 frame but will terrorize opposition forwards for years.

23. PIT. Ty Rattie. LW- Portland WHL. 5'11 170 79 pts
The young sniper brings speed and skill to an already potent Pittsburg lineup, could be deadly playing on Crosby's wing.

24. DET. Jonas Brodin. D. 6'1 169lbs
Hes a bit undersized but Detroit always takes it's time deveoping it's prospects.

25. TOR via PHI. Zack Phillips. C -Saint John QMJHL. 6'1 181lbs 95 points
With Kadri and McKegg both making the move to the wing, Toronto will look to add skill at the Center position. They get this in spades with Phillips.

26. WAS. Vladislav Namestnikov. C -Windsor OHL. 6'0 166 lbs 68pts
Unafraid to draft Russians. Wasington adds high end talent late in the first round.

27. TOR Via BOS. Boone Jenner. C -Oshawa OHL. 6'1 204lbs
Boone has the size to play in the NHL now, he needs to gain more experience however. When he makes the jump he will become a fan favorite due to his work ethic.

28. SJ. Tomas Jurco RW -Saint John QMJHL 6'2 187 lbs 56pts
Tomas is the fourth player drafted from Saint john this round, he needs some time but has the skill to play top 6 even on a team stacked up front like San Jose.

29. TB. David Musil. D -Vancouver WHL. 6'3 198 25 pts
TB has a real lack on thier backend as far as prospects go. Musil should be a good fit for the Lightning.

30. VAN. Matthew Puempel LW -Peterborough OHL. 6'0 198
Matt has bucket loads of potential and should be a great fit in VanCity where there is a drop-off in skill level amongst thier prospects after Hodgeson and Schroeder.

Last edited:

Tankhouse

Mar 21, 2011
I agree that Puempel is a great prospect. And as a Leafs fan I would be more then happy if they draft him. But If we look at the organizations depth both Kadri and Mckegg look like they will play wing, the emergence of Frattin as a legit top prospect and the breakthough year that Nichols had. Not too mention Mueller and Brunnstrom Toronto's only high end center prospect is Colbourne. I think Puempel is a real possibility but I would not be surprised to see them grab two centers. A center can always move to the wing. I could see them grabbing a guy like Lessio with the 39th pick

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
I agree that Puempel is a great prospect. And as a Leafs fan I would be more then happy if they draft him. But If we look at the organizations depth both Kadri and Mckegg look like they will play wing, the emergence of Frattin as a legit top prospect and the breakthough year that Nichols had. Not too mention Mueller and Brunnstrom Toronto's only high end center prospect is Colbourne. I think Puempel is a real possibility but I would not be surprised to see them grab two centers. A center can always move to the wing. I could see them grabbing a guy like Lessio with the 39th pick

Toronto isn't 100% on turning Kadri into a winger yet. I'd still take Puempel just because of his great skillset. I like the Philips pick, and I'm hoping Burke can steal of trade up with our second and get a good defenceman, someone like Musil. Otherwise, I wouldn't taking Puempel with our first pick, a dman with our next first, and a project player like Rask if he's available with our second.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
No way rangers draft the dman @ 15 with McNeil and Scheifle on the board

While when it comes to mock drafts my approach is "never say never" so unfortunately I can't say they won't (also Murphy is a huuuuuge reach here, McIlrath x2)...but if they do my TV will have a new hole in it.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
While when it comes to mock drafts my approach is "never say never" so unfortunately I can't say they won't (also Murphy is a huuuuuge reach here, McIlrath x2)...but if they do my TV will have a new hole in it.

I still haven't gotten my TV repaired since they took McIlrath.

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.

I agree that they need centers more than wingers, and I definitely think they will draft one or two centers with their first 3 picks, but I think they still have to go with the best forward available.

That said, if the Leafs managed to grab Phillips, Jenner and Lessio I certainly wouldn't complain.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
Mock Draft By Tankhouse. Teams Organizational Needs as well as BPA are taken into account. Final four are based on how I think they will finish. Comments are welcomed

1. EDM- Ryan Nugent Hopkins. C- Red Deer Rebels WHL. 106pts, 75 Assists
No surprise here. An elite center to play with the likes of Hall and Eberle. May spend another year in junior.

2. COL- Gabriel Landeskog. LW-Kitchener Rangers OHL. 33 Goals 66 PTS.
The perfect player to play with Matt Duchene. posseses intagibles you cannot coach. He should play next year.

3. FLA- Sean Couturier. C-Drummondville QMJHL. 36Goals 96 pts
Big time scorer has NHL size. Could step in next year and compete for a job.

4. NJD- Adam Larsson. D-Skelleftea SWE. 6'3 200 lbs
Has everything needed to play immediatly. He will become the cornerstone of NJ's back end for years to come.

5. NYI- Dougie Hamilton. D- Niagra OHL. 6'4 193 lbs 58 pts
Big nasty Defencemen who can skate and pass. He could form an elite pairing with Hamonic or de Haan.

6. OTT-Johnathan Huberdeau. C- Saint John QMJHL. 105 pts
spent a good chunk of the year on the wing. Would look really good skating with Butler and Spezza.

7. ATL- Ryan Strome. C-Niagra OHL. 106pts
The seach for top tier Centre ends with this pick. Could play next year if he adds some wieght. Might turn out to be a suprise next season, ala Skinner.

8. CBJ. Ryan Murphy. D- Kitchener OHL. 79pts
The top offensive Defencemen in this years draft class will not make it past CBJ. The Jackets can take thier time with Ryan and let him develop properly.

9. BOS via TOR. Nathan Beaulieu. D- Saint John. 45 pts
Will play an even bigger role in SJ next year as many of thier top players will be gone. Boston can afford to take thier time with Nathan.

10. MIN. Joel Armia. LW- Assat FIN. 29pts in 45 games
Joel is a power forward with all the skills needed to score and skate at the NHL level, might play next year but will likely spend another year in the Finnish league honing his craft.

11. COL via STL. Oscar Klefbom. D- Farjestad SWE. 6'3 196 lbs
Making a major leap in the rankings Oscar has all the tools to be a shutdown defender in the NHL. Will likely spend another year in Sweden.

12. CAR. Sven Bartschi. LW- Portland WHL. 34Goals 85 pts
The Swiss sensation will need some time to develop, but when he makes the jump he will be a big time scorer for the Hurricanes.

13. CAL. Mika Zibanjed. C- Djurgarden SWE. 6'2 192 lbs
Mika was called up to the big club juring the World juniors stayed up for the rest of the year. He's close to making the jump but will likely spend another year in Sweden

14. DAL. Duncan Siemans. D- Saskatoon WHL. 6'3 196 43 pts 121 PIMs
Big, mean and nasty Duncan will be the cornestone for a Dallas organization in need of an identity on it's back end.

15. NYR. Connor Murphy. D- US U18 USHL. 6'3 195lbs
Another late riser in the rankings Connor was the hero for the US under 18's this year. He'll need some time to develop but should be a gem for the blueshirts in a couple years

16. BUF. Mark McNiell. C- Prince Albert WHL. 6'1 204 lbs 81 pts
A big Center with a scorers touch, McNiell should spend more time in junior to develop his all round game but already has NHL size

17. MTL. J.T. Miller. C US U18 USHL. 6'1 198lbs 37pts in 48 gmaes
Montreal has had a smallish top 6 and addresses thier need for some size in the top of thier lineup JT needs time but will fit in nicely with the youth in the Habs system.

18. CHI. Niklas Jensen. LW-Oshawa OHL. 6'2 188 lbs 58pts
Chicago is solid on the backend and down the middle. They opt to take a budding powerforward. Niklas has the size to play at the next level but he needs more experience.

19. EDM via L.A.. Jameison Oleksiak. D-Northeastern College. 6'7 244 lbs
With all the forwards they have drafted over the last couple years the Oil use this pick to draft what should be the rock of thier defence for years to come.

20. PHO. Mark Sheifele. C-Barrie OHL. 75 pts 6'2 182lbs
Mark was Canada's best forward at this years U18's. He needs to add some muscle to his tall frame but has all the tools to be a great player for Phoenix

21. OTT via NAS. Brandon Saad. LW Saginaw OHL. 6'1 208lbs 55pts
Ottawa in need of some size up front adds the big power forward from Pittsburg. He's a few years away from the NHL.

22. ANA. Scott Mayfield. D-Youngstown USHL. 6'4 197
Anahiem has a lack of toughness on thier backend. Scott needs to grow in to his 6.4 frame but will terrorize opposition forwards for years.

23. PIT. Ty Rattie. LW- Portland WHL. 5'11 170 79 pts
The young sniper brings speed and skill to an already potent Pittsburg lineup, could be deadly playing on Crosby's wing.

24. DET. Jonas Brodin. D. 6'1 169lbs
Hes a bit undersized but Detroit always takes it's time deveoping it's prospects.

25. TOR via PHI. Zack Phillips. C -Saint John QMJHL. 6'1 181lbs 95 points
With Kadri and McKegg both making the move to the wing, Toronto will look to add skill at the Center position. They get this in spades with Phillips.

26. WAS. Vladislav Namestnikov. C -Windsor OHL. 6'0 166 lbs 68pts
Unafraid to draft Russians. Wasington adds high end talent late in the first round.

27. TOR Via BOS. Boone Jenner. C -Oshawa OHL. 6'1 204lbs
Boone has the size to play in the NHL now, he needs to gain more experience however. When he makes the jump he will become a fan favorite due to his work ethic.

28. SJ. Tomas Jurco RW -Saint John QMJHL 6'2 187 lbs 56pts
Tomas is the fourth player drafted from Saint john this round, he needs some time but has the skill to play top 6 even on a team stacked up front like San Jose.

29. TB. David Musil. D -Vancouver WHL. 6'3 198 25 pts
TB has a real lack on thier backend as far as prospects go. Musil should be a good fit for the Lightning.

30. VAN. Matthew Puempel LW -Peterborough OHL. 6'0 198
Matt has bucket loads of potential and should be a great fit in VanCity where there is a drop-off in skill level amongst thier prospects after Hodgeson and Schroeder.

I would flip-flop #3 and #4.

Strome at #7 would be a monumental win for the Thrashers. But if they end up going to Winnipeg, I think they'll try to take a WHL guy.

The two best D in the draft are going #8 and #9.

I think you're trying to force a pick based on team need at #11, and that's not a team need for the Avalanche. I expect them to take two forwards at #2 and #11.

I like the rest except for a few things...

Grimaldi will not drop past Detroit's pick. I expect him to be taken a bit higher than that, but I don't see Detroit passing on him if he's there.

If Washington takes a Russian in the 1st, I don't think it will be Namestnikov. I don't expect them to take a Russian after Ovechkin fell off this year and Semin was so invisible in the playoffs. I expect a mandate from up high to take character guys who work hard.

David Musil isn't a first round talent.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

Burke will take the BPA which is Puempel.

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008
isnt puemple suppose to go mid 1st round?

he wont make it to the leafs right?

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Your top 10 is pretty much exactly how I think it will play out.

I can't imagine the Leafs passing on Puempel once, let alone twice.

Agreed and Agreed. I think the top 10 as of right now should look like that. Its great for most of those teams. Colorado's pick is a great choice. FLA needs anything they can get... Maybe Couturier becomes the franchise player for Quebec... er I mean Florida.

Best fit might be Huberdeau moving to Spezza's left side.

Also agree Toronto won't pass twice. However I hope we trade into the 4-8 region... my ideal trade would be our picks and some prospect for FLA's pick... then take Couturier

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
PHillips is a nice pick, but i hope we dont get Jenner. Would rather have Puempel, Jurco, maybe a D.

There will stick be a couple goood Cs at 39. Better than Jenner anyways

Latex*

Armia is by no means a power forward. Sniper is the player type i think he's very close to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad