Player Discussion: Brandon Tanev

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Send Myers down the road and there's lots of room.

Trouba could be gone, Buff is aging & once the options become Poolman, Nogier, Green, Kovacevic, Cederhom, Gawanke & Glover. (who will be dropped in 23 days)

Isn't Myers a significant improvement over what's coming up in the system?

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I do agree with this post--as I like Tanev a lot--"nobody" hussles with more heart and soul than Tanev does. The Jets need a guy like him, and should have locked him up for at least 2 years. He's also starting to score a lot-- this guy is "impressive."

There may not be a place for him in another year. If there is I doubt he rejects their offer.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You praise Trouba but Myers had more points in the regular season and playoffs and played all 82 games.

Yes fancy stats but fancy stats dont win you hockey championships.. Scoring more than the other team does.. Myers was better than Trouba in the playoffs.. And unlike Trouba, likely wants to be here.

Scoring, schmoring. Have you watched Myers in his own end?

Reactions: DashingDane

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Trouba could be gone, Buff is aging & once the options become Poolman, Nogier, Green, Kovacevic, Cederhom, Gawanke & Glover. (who will be dropped in 23 days)

Isn't Myers a significant improvement over what's coming up in the system

I just do not understand a lot of the poster's negativity on Myers--I think he's a great defenceman. The guy is around a 40-50 point a year scorer, he's in his prime, he's a good skater, and great playmaker. He also has a great attitude. Also great on the PP.

I do not at all see the Jet's not resigning Myers especially now that Trouba staying here long term is highly questionable and unlikely ??

It seems to me that you either like Myers or you don't-- no matter how much I or others defend him, there are always posters who trash him. I just don't get it-- I think Myers is a real good long term fit for the Jets if he can stay healthy.

We have not seen the best of what Tyler Myers can do yet-- if he stays healthy, he'll only get better.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
So Tanev is a UFA after this deal? If he gets a bigger offer he’s walking after this season, which is a shame as I’ve grown quite fond of his game.

Winnipeg helped Tanev achieve where he is at...

Kid might want to stay for a year or two more contract to buildup his bargaining chips for his next contract as well as a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: GNP

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017

I just do not understand a lot of the poster's negativity on Myers--I think he's a great defenceman. The guy is around a 40-50 point a year scorer, he's in his prime, he's a good skater, and great playmaker. He also has a great attitude. Also great on the PP.

I do not at all see the Jet's not resigning Myers especially now that Trouba staying here long term is highly questionable and unlikely ??

It seems to me that you either like Myers or you don't-- no matter how much I or others defend him, there are always posters who trash him. I just don't get it-- I think Myers is a real good long term fit for the Jets if he can stay healthy.

We have not seen the best of what Tyler Myers can do yet-- if he stays healthy, he'll only get better.

Myers finally had the opportunity to get his hips fixed right and right after his son was born and he had a long rest. Last season was technically his first season back with new hips.

I am in the camp that Myers may improve in leaps and bounds as Wheeler has aka a late bloomer...

I also agree Myers will be resigned and Trouba's tribulations helped him...

There are always many silver linings in every Trouba-Overcharge black cloud...

Go :jets Go

Reactions: ERYX and GNP

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
Yes, Myers is a very good defender. We need him.

Good to have a Tanev back. He played very good post season too, and i respect that a lot. Have to say tho, 2 year deal would be better at this point.

Reactions: Channelcat and GNP

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Easy signing. Like his hustle. Best hat trik of the year lol

I do as well and believe it is the right move to bridge him unless the number would greatly favour the Jets and I doubt that is happening.

Anything thry sign now at a long term contract could onlt benefit the jets as i expect each year will only make him kore expansive
I could see next season giving him even more leverage and any chance at being cheaper is completely eliminated

If we could get josh morrisey to a contract like scheifele's at 8 years, morrissey would be a steal

Realistically i wouldnt mind a 5 or 5 year contract if we can get him at cheaper aav for future signings

If youre gonna bridge anyone bridge connor

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Rocket skates!

Good for him. Not a huge fan, but I actually don't mind Tanev as the obligatory try hard glue guy. He can play a bit.
it's hard to not like him nor like the results that his line had.
normally i wouldn't care about $1 mil for glue, but it was pretty darn good glue

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Myers is the new whiping boy ..

I keep Myers ,

As for Tanev nice signing.
I expect 10 goals from him.
15 from Lowry and just below 10 from Copp. This 4th line going to kick ass!

Go Jets Go

Reactions: Aggie204 and GNP

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
You praise Trouba but Myers had more points in the regular season and playoffs and played all 82 games.

Yes fancy stats but fancy stats dont win you hockey championships.. Scoring more than the other team does.. Myers was better than Trouba in the playoffs.. And unlike Trouba, likely wants to be here.

This is incredibly stupid. Trouba had better 5 on 5 points than Myers and everyone else infact. When Trouba is on the ice the team performs significantly better than when Myers is on the ice and that's just a fact. Myers is a complete mess in his own end.

Myers will be 29 by the time his current contract is up and the Jets can't afford to pay a third pair d man any sort of money and term.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018

Isn't Myers a significant improvement over what's coming up in the system?

No he's not. Player with he highest upside in that list is Green.

The fact that there's no stud d man in the system doesn't mean the Jets should commit to a 29 year old third pair d man. Let somebody else do that in free agency.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Wrong. He's a third pair guy making first pair money.
He cost the Jets $17.2 million of real money for @4.33 seasons, around $4 million a season. Missed most of 16-17 but that happens. He was OK this last season.

Tanev should wish he scored 36 points.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
This is incredibly stupid. Trouba had better 5 on 5 points than Myers and everyone else infact. When Trouba is on the ice the team performs significantly better than when Myers is on the ice and that's just a fact. Myers is a complete mess in his own end.

Myers will be 29 by the time his current contract is up and the Jets can't afford to pay a third pair d man any sort of money and term.

It's up to Chevy but out of loyalty they will offer Myers a contract. Maybe $2.5 million. He should take it.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Just don't over-commit to Myers. He's a stopgap at best.
Agree to not over commit but the stance some have of him being virtually worthless is ridiculous.

He has value, value to the Jets and value to other teams. The balance will be what the cost is to sign him versus what the Jets can afford versus the cap. If the Jets don't extend him at some point then he is either a UFA and will be sought after despite the contrarian view to that. If resigned he offers some protection for the right side and if a RHD comes back from the Trouba trade we again have decent or good depth there or can trade him as an asset.

Signed to term is better than a playoff rental and then you also don't take away from your group while you're making that push.

He has holes and weaknesses in his game unquestionably but he also has positives. Protecting an asset isn't a bad thing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree to not over commit but the stance some have of him being virtually worthless is ridiculous.

He has value, value to the Jets and value to other teams. The balance will be what the cost is to sign him versus what the Jets can afford versus the cap. If the Jets don't extend him at some point then he is either a UFA and will be sought after despite the contrarian view to that. If resigned he offers some protection for the right side and if a RHD comes back from the Trouba trade we again have decent or good depth there or can trade him as an asset.

Signed to term is better than a playoff rental and then you also don't take away from your group while you're making that push.

He has holes and weaknesses in his game unquestionably but he also has positives. Protecting an asset isn't a bad thing.

Of course he has value. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

The problem is that he was exposed defensively by stronger opposition playing 2nd pair. He is better than a #5 but not up to a #4, in my estimation. But he will be paid like a #3.

I don't see a path to take with him that I am happy with. I don't want to let him walk. I don't want to sign him 5x5+. That leaves trading him now. Last season will have inflated his trade value so it is selling high. But I'm really not happy with that either. We still need him, especially with the continued uncertainty about Trouba.

If we had a replacement RHD in a Trouba trade, I would move Myers now. I don't really expect that to happen though. So, I expect Chevy to extend Myers for too long and too much. Unfortunately.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
What's with all the Trouba and Myers talk clogging up this thread??? :thumbd:

Back on topic... LOVE the Tanev signing! :thumbu:

CjutrEGXIAAn6XR.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad