Proposal: Tanev for Drouin

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Tanev is a good player.
Drouin has the potential to be a great player. No one makes a trade like this.

Steve Y says NO without thinking twice. People are really sleeping on Drouin, he has such high end skill, Tampa can worry about getting leadership elsewhere, just let the kid work his magic and deception.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
As it stands, it hurts for both sides... but more for Tampa.

I would think it would have to be Tanev + 1st, lottery protected, plus perhaps Hansen if the Lightning plan to be back in contention next year.

Which is a great deal of value from Vancouver, but you have to give to get.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Not the time for Tampa to do something so risky. They Are still young and has locked up core players for a long time. They need keep building a team that can be a contender the next 8 years.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I wouldn't do it as a Canucks fan. Players like Tanev are always undervalued by fans and players like Drouin are always overrated based on youth + potential.

I would love to have a player like Drouin in our organization. He's incredibly skilled and will put up points for years to come. Losing Tanev for anyone outside a young #1C would just be too much to swallow though.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
As it stands, it hurts for both sides... but more for Tampa.

I would think it would have to be Tanev + 1st, lottery protected, plus perhaps Hansen if the Lightning plan to be back in contention next year.

Which is a great deal of value from Vancouver, but you have to give to get.

Holy ****ing overrating batman.
Check the Canucks record with and without Tanev in the lineup and maybe you'll realize just how much this hurts the Canucks team now.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
Yzerman signed both Stamkos and Kucherov at well below market value so I wouldn't rule out him getting a bargain on Drouin as well. My gut feeling is Drouin holds himself in high regard and I think he will push for a bridge contract since he likely thinks he can earn more coming off that 2nd contract.

General framework of the trade makes sense to me, I think Tanev would help out Tampa Bay a ton and if you want to prioritize short term success over long term success it's a trade you make. If Tampa believes that Drouin will live upto his full potential though it is likely not a trade you would make as his value could be substantially higher than Tanev's in a couple of years.

People need to stop saying this. It is 100% FALSE!

Stamkos pays 38% tax in Tampa. In Toronto he would be paying 58%. Stamkos takes home $5.27 million in Tampa at his "discounted" salary. In Toronto, if Stamkos signed for 12 million his take home pay after taxes would be $5.04 million.

Stamkos gets MORE MONEY because he is in Tampa at this supposed "discount" than he would get if he were in Toronto at $12 million!!!! Stamkos did NOT give Tampa a discount. His agent got him the MOST TAKE HOME MONEY possible!!!

Damn, I wish people would stop with this foolish lie.

Tanev for Drouin is not a good deal for Tampa.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Check the Canucks record with and without Tanev in the lineup and maybe you'll realize just how much this hurts the Canucks team now.

Look at how important Drouin has been to our offense and maybe you'll realize why ZERO Tampa fans are agreeing to trade him for Tanev.

And forget lottery protected: unless that first is high enough in a deep enough draft for us to be guaranteed a Matthews- or a Laine-caliber player who can step in immediately and fill the massive void Drouin would leave on our team then Tanev and a first doesn't even get you close. Again, NONE of us are interested in Tanev for Drouin and a mediocre first who may not even turn into a useful NHL player doesn't come anywhere near to filling the gap between them.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Good for Tampa, maybe.

Doubt we'd be interested in Killorn, just based on his age.

That's fair, though nothing is stopping Vancouver from swapping him elsewhere (even though he is the exact same age as Tanev). Maybe Palat instead or add a prospect like Cirelli or Joseph on top

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
That's fair, though nothing is stopping Vancouver from swapping him elsewhere (even though he is the exact same age as Tanev). Maybe Palat instead or add a prospect like Cirelli or Joseph on top

The prospect idea makes sense. The idea that he's these me age as Tanev as a selling point isn't. We are looking for young scoring potential not proven 2nd liners. Especially for a top pairing defender.
I like both Cirelli and Joseph, feel each bring NHL qualities.
[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands

I'm well aware, but the Canucks aren't going anywhere for the next 4 years at least, as Tanev will be leaving his window. Hansen too.

Building for the future.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Look at how important Drouin has been to our offense and maybe you'll realize why ZERO Tampa fans are agreeing to trade him for Tanev.

And forget lottery protected: unless that first is high enough in a deep enough draft for us to be guaranteed a Matthews- or a Laine-caliber player who can step in immediately and fill the massive void Drouin would leave on our team then Tanev and a first doesn't even get you close. Again, NONE of us are interested in Tanev for Drouin and a mediocre first who may not even turn into a useful NHL player doesn't come anywhere near to filling the gap between them.

Turn that hyperbole down, and try proposing Laine or Matthews (alone) for Drouin.

Good luck.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Turn that hyperbole down, and try proposing Laine or Matthews (alone) for Drouin.

Good luck.

That would be a closer trade than Tanev for Drouin.

Plus you're missing the point. We've said numerous times now that Drouin is not for sale, and we've also said that if he were Tanev would not come close to getting him. So despite everything we've been saying Tanev plus a protected first was proposed. A middling first does nothing for us - it might not even produce a quality NHL player and even if it does that player wouldn't benefit us for several years. So what I'm saying is that the only way Tanev plus a first gets Drouin is if that first is practically guaranteed to get us a player as good as or better than Drouin and who can step into the NHL immediately - like a Matthews or a Laine. Otherwise we have no interest in trading one top notch piece for a collection of lesser ones.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I wouldn't trade Horvat for Drouin straight up, so Tanev and Horvat for Drouin plus "something small" doesn't seem too attractive.

And we have no interest in trading Drouin in the first place, so I guess there's nothing to discuss here.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

Stamkos pays 38% tax in Tampa. In Toronto he would be paying 58%. Stamkos takes home $5.27 million in Tampa at his "discounted" salary. In Toronto, if Stamkos signed for 12 million his take home pay after taxes would be $5.04 million.

Stamkos gets MORE MONEY because he is in Tampa at this supposed "discount" than he would get if he were in Toronto at $12 million!!!! Stamkos did NOT give Tampa a discount. His agent got him the MOST TAKE HOME MONEY possible!!!

I'd be curious if this is true. IIRC players pay state/provincial tax for each game wherever it's played, so I'm not sure if the 41 home games would be enough to make up the difference.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Yeah, you're technically correct but there are some things to consider. Firstly you are taxed based on where you play so it's not just a straight "plays for Tampa is only taxed by Florida," it only benefits him for the 41 home games. On top of that there's all of the debate about where he gets better endorsements, cost of living, other taxes besides income, but honestly I don't think any of this stuff is important to the players. Not to mention many Canadian players keep their money in Canada even if they live in the states. They then get taxed by Canada for money made abroad which should nullify any Tampa tax benefits.

So while they're always happy to have more money, for a guy like Stamkos, a $12 million deal makes him the highest paid player in the league and I think that's what actually matters. It inflates his ego: highest paid player in the world=best player in the world. That's what a guy like Stmakos thinks about.

Plus the P.A. is always push players to take the biggest contract they can. So honestly I think that these players think a lot less about how much they actually take home and a lot more on the status that comes with a huge contract.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Drouin has been either directly or indirectly responsible for a ridiculous amount of our goals since Stamkos went down.

This is not a guy we can trade.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
LOL, so we add a guy who is producing at the same rate as Drouin offensively, is twice as good defensively, and has actual leadership skills.

Mannnnnnn these flashy kids get waaaay over-rated on here:help:

Drouin: 31pts in 42 games/ 0.74ppg
Horvat: 32 pts in 50 games/0.64ppg

that isnt the same. one guy is putting up a 61pt/82 game pace the other 52pt/82 games

drouin for tanev+horvat is a terrible deal, but so is expecting marner/drouin/galchenyuk among others for tanev

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Already said, but aince it will not die. No way in hell we give up Drouin for a defenseman who can't put up points or is a physical presence. Look elsewhere to trade him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad