Tanenbaum criticized at BOG meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
I acknowledge that Toronto is the best market for hockey but to say that they can just get up and leave is ridiculous. Who the heck would they play? I can't see other teams disbanding from hockey because Toronto left and it is likely that the NHL would just throw in another franchise.

totally agree... Toronto is a great hockey market but I dont know about this... the owners of the Leafs (the teachers union) would probably never allow this... why rock the boat even more... talk about uncertainty leaving and starting a new league... if they do it, would the fans support it? I mean if every other major city has NHL hockey but Toronto would the fans support it? they barely support the CFL? and they want the NFL to come to town? I doubt they would do this.. it would ruin their "major league" image.

MacDaddy TLC*

dakota said:
totally agree... Toronto is a great hockey market but I dont know about this... the owners of the Leafs (the teachers union) would probably never allow this... why rock the boat even more...
Why not rock the boat? The damn boat is sinking anyways. Why not jump ship and take your richest and/or closest friends with you? The Teacher's pension (not the union) has their hands in every bank in Canada. They have their hand in just about every investment group and insurance company. They have their hand in just about every profitable business in the country. They could put together the capital to bury the remnants of the NHL.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
mooseOAK said:
Four out of the five top scorers for the Flyers last season were overpaid veterans. I love how Philly fans think that Carter and Richards are going to step into the league and automatically be stars. They aren't.
Most Leaf fans think they will be stars, otherwise why would we see desperate threads like this

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=126394&highlight=carter
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=122399&highlight=carter

The only reason why they scored the most is because they were played the most by Hitch. Anyone who knows anything about hockey knows guys like Gagne or Carter will produce more than LeClair or Amonte given the same ice time with the same linemates.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
Why not rock the boat? The damn boat is sinking anyways. Why not jump ship and take your richest and/or closest friends with you?
Maybe because you do not have any friends. Or at least, not enough to form a league anyone would be interested in watching..

Please note...the 'you' in my post refers to the Leafs, not the Mayor, who most likely has many friends...

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Why not rock the boat? The damn boat is sinking anyways. Why not jump ship and take your richest and/or closest friends with you? The Teacher's pension (not the union) has their hands in every bank in Canada. They have their hand in just about every investment group and insurance company. They have their hand in just about every profitable business in the country. They could put together the capital to bury the remnants of the NHL.

this is not about ego... this is about money... and there is no way they would pick up and leave to start a new league... fans might like to think they can because they are the leafs, and they can do anything... but it is not reality... the leafs want to be playing there is no question about that... but you do not mortgage your entire business on a new venture that is still a pipe dream...

this is not to criticize the leafs or their fans... in fact, this is exactly what the NHLPA loves to hear fans and media talking about I am sure... they want the owners to become divided so that there is pressure to cave... i hope many fans and the media can see through this smoke...

mooseOAK*

Steve L said:
Most Leaf fans think they will be stars, otherwise why would we see desperate threads like this

The only reason why they scored the most is because they were played the most by Hitch. Anyone who knows anything about hockey knows guys like Gagne or Carter will produce more than LeClair or Amonte given the same ice time with the same linemates.
I guess that Clarke and Hitch didn't know that which may be why they went out and got guys like Amonte and Zhamnov. One would think that if Gagne could produce like them and Carter will be an instant star that there would be no need.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
They wouldn't be shaking in their boots, they would be asking where do we sign up? Like it or not, Toronto is the Centre of the NHL universe. The NHL can stick 2 or 3 franchises wherever the hell they want, but their credibility and their foundation would crumble without their cornerstone franchise and those that would follow them. It isn't those franchises that created the mess; it is the small market teams that couldn't keep up with the Jones' and the cheap bastards running chicago and Boston into the ground (BTW, Boston was responsible for 25% of the contracts that ruined the NHL economic climate according to one article.)

Why would the other teams follow the leafs? The leafs would need to start their own teams and plant them in these centres. The leafs would need to pour tens of millions into propping up the weaker clubs.

And if the Leafs are successful and open up with teams across Canada and in some US cities with spare arenas? Then what? The NHL caves, opens up again. The Canucks are going to kill the new Vancouver team, the Wings are going to kill the new Detroit team etc. Then it all collapses under the hundreds of millions of dollars in debt the Leafs and their spawn owe to the players.

Bye bye Leafs, you aren't coming back to the NHL after pulling a stunt like that. Maple Leaf Inc would be dead. Maybe the NHL would buy them and on sell them. Or just buy the arena and sell a new franchise. They might get $290m+ as the expansio fee. I'm sure all the 29 other teams won't say no to $10m.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Show me a plan for the leafs to make money by starting their own league without taking other NHL teams with them. The leafs are just too small and insignificant to make it work on their own.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Wow, Leafs fans actually believing the center of the hockey universe revolves around their team? Well that isn't a first.
So let them keep dreaming of their own league where they can win the Leaf Cup. Or win the ever prestigious Gilmour Trophy (for having the best toothless grin). Or the Wendel Clark Award for sitting out the most amount of games with injuries.
I'm sure every hockey fan in the world that isn't outside of Toronto would give a crap.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Steve L said:

Excellent Links ..Thx

Great reads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad