Tanenbaum criticized at BOG meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDaddy TLC*

Steve L said:
All it took was the Leaf fans to show up. ;)
Not to mention the trolls ;) :shakehead such as yourself who look for any reason to bash the Leafs.

Sammy*

Mayor of MacAppolis said:
No the Isles had to pay Yashin double what he was worth plus a premium to play in the dump that is the Nassau County Mausoleum. :lol
But geez, I didnt know it was as simple to make a smart/good signing that all you had to do is get a guy to sign for less than he got paid previously.
Too easy. :lol :lol :lol

MacDaddy TLC*

Sammy said:
But geez, I didnt know it was as simple to make a smart/good signing that all you had to do is get a guy to sign for less than he got paid previously.
Too easy. :lol :lol :lol
It is fairly easy if you get a player who really wants to play for a certain team. Nieuwendyk did not hide the fact he wanted to come to Toronto.

Sammy*

It is fairly easy if you get a player who really wants to play for a certain team. Nieuwendyk did not hide the fact he wanted to come to Toronto.
I understand that. I was just taking issue with your suggestion that just because a guy or a group of guys sign for a little less than what they were previously being paid it is a good signing.
Thats all.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
alexmorrison said:
Well, ummm, which team has turned a profit running their business for the last few years?
They played by the rules set-forth in the old CBA and managed to be profitable.
You ask me, the stupid teams were the ones spending money that they didn't have and losing money every year (or banking on a playoff run to the finals in order to be profitable).

Seems to me people might have missed this.

MacDaddy TLC*

Sammy said:
I understand that. I was just taking issue with your suggestion that just because a guy or a group of guys sign for a little less than what they were previously being paid it is a good signing.
Thats all.
They were good signings. If you watched ANY Leafs game last season, you would realize they were solid signings. BTW, how often do players sign for less? I'll answer it for you: NOT VERY OFTEN unless they are on a steep decline. The play of Belfour, Nieuwendyk, and Roberts last season suggested they were worth every penny they made last year and their signings this smmer were bargains.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
shakes said:
Seems to me people might have missed this.
Selective reading on their part. Doesn't fit in with their idea that the Leafs were "stupid" when in fact it they weren't.

Sammy*

They were good signings. If you watched ANY Leafs game last season, you would realize they were solid signings. BTW, how often do players sign for less? I'll answer it for you: NOT VERY OFTEN unless they are on a steep decline. The play of Belfour, Nieuwendyk, and Roberts last season suggested they were worth every penny they made last year and their signings this smmer were bargains.
Players near the end of their career sign for less all the time. Again I'm not saying they were good or bad signings (though imo the Belfour one was bad) , simply your initial reason for suggesting they were good.

SENSible1*

Sammy said:
Thats all.

Especially when your team already has cap issues. That is the time to cut the old expensive players and go with youth.

SENSible1*

When a cap is coming AND your team is already well over that cap WITHOUT signing these expensive vets, then yes they are stupid signings.

MacDaddy TLC*

Sammy said:
Players near the end of their career sign for less all the time. Again I'm not saying they were good or bad signings (though imo the Belfour one was bad) , simply your initial reason for suggesting they were good.
The Belfour signing was the most important and necessary of the three. If they didn't sign him, do you think the Senators after trading Lali,e would have been interewsted in a moody, drunk, criminal out of the Czech Republic who had only played 14 games over the previous two seasons, or do you think they would have tried to slay their dragon by going to the heart of the team and ripping it out? There were no goalies even close to the Eagle available and no way the Leafs could have replaced him.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
When a cap is coming AND your team is already well over that cap WITHOUT signing these expensive vets, then yes they are stupid signings.
Last I checked there's no hard cap in place. We have no idea how this ends and what the rules will be. With the 24% rollback apparently off the table, a lot of teams will be over the assumed cap number.
Hell, by the time hockey is played again, most of these contracts will probably be finished. If they're not, look for the high payroll teams to push some kind of gradfathering clause into the CBA.

MacDaddy TLC*

Thunderstruck said:
Actually they were good signings. The players weren't going to collapse in this game of chess this year. It was the owners collapsing or the season going down the drain. In the end it cost nothing and is a non issue, unless once again, you are a fan of a have not that sees their players exiting because your team can't afford them.

SENSible1*

alexmorrison said:
Last I checked there's no hard cap in place. We have no idea how this ends and what the rules will be. With the 24% rollback apparently off the table, a lot of teams will be over the assumed cap number.
Hell, by the time hockey is played again, most of these contracts will probably be finished. If they're not, look for the high payroll teams to push some kind of gradfathering clause into the CBA.

I'm sure the high payroll teams votes will have just as much say as they do in setting the current NHL agenda.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
It is a two-tier league...

I was wondering when some of the "big market" guys would point out that helping Karmanos save a few million a year by backing Bettman's plan is costing them millions in profits. The league has two tiers, and that is a reality fans do not want to accept, especially if you are from a have-not. This entire CBA process clearly has pointed how difficult it is to bridge the revenue gap between the biggest and smallest teams.

There is no "one size fits all" model to implement. Revenue sharing is the only way to equalize things, but no major sport shares revenue in the absence of a large TV contract. The NHL is stuck. To ask teams to take money from their own potential profit and share that is quite different from asking teams to divide a large pie handed to the league from a third source.

Who else is complaining? While Detroit believes a cap is required (they voted against the last CBA in 1994 because it did not have one), I doubt they are happy that things have taken this long and that replacement player talk is happening. You can probably say that any team that has a strong tradition, strong local TV contracts and sponsors, sellouts, and a huge demand for season tickets...can be happy about where things are today.

MacDaddy TLC*

Yes, but if they want revenue sharing, concessions will need to be made. (Revenue sharing is total ******** --- why should the strong have to support the weak? Why not just form their own league and let the weak die?)

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
me2 said:
Taking a guess

Hawks and Bruins would be the obvious vocal choices.
Detroit has been backing the smaller franchises.

According to Burke there were two big market clubs vs rest. Looks like Bettman's "8 man gang" is closer to a "28 man gang". So who is siding with TO? Habs (owner needs money)? Rags? Stars? Flyers? Avs? Van?

Flyers, Habs or Rags would be my picks.

Just TWO?

Exclamation point on Hawks

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Why aren't people ripping on Mike Illitch and Ken Holland. Did they not resign Nick Lidstrom to a 10 million dollar contract? Did they not trade for Robert Lang and his 5 million dollar salary when the cba expired in 6 months? Did they not sign Whitney and Hatcher to long term deals a year before the CBA expired? Did he not get down on his hands and knees and offer Fedorov a 5 year 50 million dollar deal? Did they not re-sign Yzerman and Shanny before the lockout started?

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
I'm sure the high payroll teams votes will have just as much say as they do in setting the current NHL agenda.
You don't think the high payroll teams haven't been setting a big part of the agenda?
How come there's been little to no revenue sharing in all offers from the owners? I'm sure at least 20 of the teams would love to see league wide revenue sharing...

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
JWI19 said:
Why aren't people ripping on Mike Illitch and Ken Holland. Did they not resign Nick Lidstrom to a 10 million dollar contract? Did they not trade for Robert Lang and his 5 million dollar salary when the cba expired in 6 months? Did they not sign Whitney and Hatcher to long term deals a year before the CBA expired? Did he not get down on his hands and knees and offer Fedorov a 5 year 50 million dollar deal? Did they not re-sign Yzerman and Shanny before the lockout started?
Senators signed Alfredson to $5M/yr extension right near the end of the season as well.

SENSible1*

alexmorrison said:
Senators signed Alfredson to $5M/yr extension right near the end of the season as well.

Please compare the age and injury history of Alfie, Roberts, Nueiwendyk and Belfour and then get back to me.

MacDaddy TLC*

Thunderstruck said:
Please compare the age and injury history of Alfie, Roberts, Nueiwendyk and Belfour and then get back to me.
How about compare cup rings and playoff performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad