Tampa with 33 shots in one period

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
There's no way that's right. I distinctly remember SOG by period being recorded for as long as i've been watching which is 1993. Maybe they meant 87-88?
I think it's as an officially tracked stat. Elias says the last time it happened was in 55-56 (and there's also one other instance apparently in like 1941).

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This makes me think someone was being very very liberal with "shot" on goal. Kind of like how I believe CBJ (not sure if it is them, but there is one team) that are extremely free with giving their team hits.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There's no way that's right. I distinctly remember SOG by period being recorded for as long as I've been watching which is 1993. Maybe they meant 87-88?

Maybe it just means, the NHL hadn't made it official yet, but were still keeping track of it.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
This makes me think someone was being very very liberal with "shot" on goal. Kind of like how I believe CBJ (not sure if it is them, but there is one team) that are extremely free with giving their team hits.
Did you watch the game? There's a pretty specific definition for SOG. They even changed it from 34 to 33 shots during the intermission, so somebody was double checking. Cam Ward honestly played a great game to keep the score reasonable.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Did you watch the game? There's a pretty specific definition for SOG. They even changed it from 34 to 33 shots during the intermission, so somebody was double checking. Cam Ward honestly played a great game to keep the score reasonable.

No, I didn't watch this game, am I supposed to watch all NHL games, especially of non Wing teams?

I just know, that there are 4 or 5 teams, can't remember which ones, that are very liberal with certain stats. I think CBJ and MIN are two of them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This had nothing to do with the game last night. One - Tampa as a team is notorious for passing up scoring chances. Two - if you watched the game (or just watch the highlights), you'll see that 95% of the shots were from the slot.

20182019-20116-5v5.png

They weren't sending in floaters from the blueline.
Agree about last night, but was referring to a broader trend. Watched the Canes play a few games and their shot totals are due to lots of low danger shots.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Idk man, remember that partial breakaway gourde had this game? That had no business happening. Dude has WHEELS.

...Yeah, but Johnson does that like twice per game. I think he actually did it in that game, and got robbed by Ward. Both guys are extremely fast, but Johnson, when he's on, is in the upper echelon of NHL skaters. He's comparable with Point.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The Hawks defence corps is a shadow of it's former self. Keith no longer a top ten D and then things just fall off a cliff after him.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Big shot total and lots of goals and Stamkos doesn't factor in. He's having a slow start

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad