TSN: Tampa signs O.Palat - 3yrs/10mill

member 96824

I don't know if I would call Palat a cornerstone, especially with Drouin, Erne, Connolly, and Kucherov in the ranks on wing as well.

Palat is a great story, being a 7th rounder and all, but I think the comp to Smith is absolutely fair.

If I'm Smiths agent, I don't budge off that comp for a minute

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I don't know if I would call Palat a cornerstone, especially with Drouin, Erne, Connolly, and Kucherov in the ranks on wing as well.

Palat is a great story, being a 7th rounder and all, but I think the comp to Smith is absolutely fair.

Even agents understand that every team has different circumstances.

member 96824

Even agents understand that every team has different circumstances.

That's great, but they've also got 2 jobs. Get their clients as much money as they can and in turn, get as much as they can in commish.

Plus, its not like 3 years 10M is ridiculous for a 20 goal, 50 point guy. That is littered around the league. Palat just confirms that its still there this off-season. Sturm made that, Ryder made more, etc. etc. etc. just for Bruins comparables in a lower cap environment

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
That's great, but they've also got 2 jobs. Get their clients as much money as they can and in turn, get as much as they can in commish.

Plus, its not like 3 years 10M is ridiculous for a 20 goal, 50 point guy. That is littered around the league. Palat just confirms that its still there this off-season. Sturm made that, Ryder made more, etc. etc. etc. just for Bruins comparables in a lower cap environment

An agent's job is to do his client's bidding. Of course he will work to get a great deal, but ultimately it's not his call.

member 96824

An agent's job is to do his client's bidding. Of course he will work to get a great deal, but ultimately it's not his call.

Yeah thats not really the case. Have we forgotten the Marchand saga so soon?

Ultimately it is his/her call, and in a perfect world, agents would want what's best for the team, but in a perfect world, ice cream would also make us lose weight.

Smiths agent will have more that enough backing to get him a deal like Palats. I could go through and get the cap hit for every 20 goal, 50 point guy...but it would get to the point of redundancy.

Christ, just in Chia's tenure, he's given that money to Kelly, Ryder, Peverley, Sturm. You know who else fits in that group as far as role on the depth chart goes? Reilly Smith.

There wasnt question that Smith was already on track for something close to 3m. Maybe 2.75 on the low end...but there is absolutely no reason not to look at Palat as a comparable here.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Agreed

I`m going to wager Chia re-signs Smitty, at a fair and cap friendly number, and with not one bit of the drama/stress some here seem to believe will happen

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Yeah thats not really the case. Have we forgotten the Marchand saga so soon?

Ultimately it is his/her call, and in a perfect world, agents would want what's best for the team, but in a perfect world, ice cream would also make us lose weight.

Smiths agent will have more that enough backing to get him a deal like Palats. I could go through and get the cap hit for every 20 goal, 50 point guy...but it would get to the point of redundancy.

Christ, just in Chia's tenure, he's given that money to Kelly, Ryder, Peverley, Sturm. You know who else fits in that group as far as role on the depth chart goes? Reilly Smith.

There wasnt question that Smith was already on track for something close to 3m. Maybe 2.75 on the low end...but there is absolutely no reason not to look at Palat as a comparable here.

I think you misunderstood. An agent's client is the player, not the team. If my agent wants me to hold out for what he guarantees will be a better deal, but I want to sign, I'll sign. Or not, whatever. It's not the agent's call.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Palat is a legitimate 1st line winger and will be probably putting up PPG numbers in the next 2 years.

Smith is great, but not that good. 3 years/7-8m.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Does anyone think that there is any chance of someone offer sheeting him? I don't think I do at all. I would play some hard ball.

I could see Pittsburgh sending him an offer sheet to play with Crosby. Everyone has always said that Parise would be the perfect winger for Crosby and Smith is basically a poor man's Parise.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA

I think that just tells you that the writing is on the wall for TB to be likely the best team in the league in 3-4 years.

member 96824

I think you misunderstood. An agent's client is the player, not the team. If my agent wants me to hold out for what he guarantees will be a better deal, but I want to sign, I'll sign. Or not, whatever. It's not the agent's call.

Oh Arty....

How quickly we forget Marchand telling the media he wants the deal to be done and to get out on the ice with his teammates, yet Wade Arnott pounding his fists on the table.

You're truly underestimating the process and reasoning of having an agent in the first place.

I'll leave it at that....because I can tell we're about to get into a place where you're just going to frustrate the hell out of me judging by you feeling you needed to enlighten me that the agent works for the player and not the team.

Smith has a ton of comps in the 3M+. That's been my expectation of where he comes in from the beginning, Palat's deal confirms that for me. Anything less is gravy to me....but I'd be surprised if it happens. Just because a team put itself in a cap bind doesn't mean a player doesn't want to get paid and an agent doesn't want a commission check.

member 96824

I think that just tells you that the writing is on the wall for TB to be likely the best team in the league in 3-4 years.

I would say they have the best prospect pool out there, especially if Koekkoek hits. They've got some insane youth down there.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Not to mention Kristers.. I have a good feel about that lad.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I think Marchand's 2 year deal from 2011 is the comparable, except that the Bruins aren't coming off of a Cup win that included Smith as a huge factor.

As of now the Cap is the same as then.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
1st - 2.8mill
2nd - 3.2mill
3rd - 4mill

Could be something R.Smith will look at.

doesn't surprise me... but sure as hell doesn't make our life any easier. smiths agent will be fired for incompetence if he doesn't use this as a bargaining chip.

sadly if we try to play hardball someone can offersheet smith this type of money and we walk away with a second rounder.

whether we think smith is worth 3cap hit or not... none of us want to lose him for a second.

other teams are proving they will pay 3 mill for guys like smith and we all have to measure up to the most stupidest competition among us

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Oh Arty....

How quickly we forget Marchand telling the media he wants the deal to be done and to get out on the ice with his teammates, yet Wade Arnott pounding his fists on the table.

You're truly underestimating the process and reasoning of having an agent in the first place.

I'll leave it at that....because I can tell we're about to get into a place where you're just going to frustrate the hell out of me judging by you feeling you needed to enlighten me that the agent works for the player and not the team.

Smith has a ton of comps in the 3M+. That's been my expectation of where he comes in from the beginning, Palat's deal confirms that for me. Anything less is gravy to me....but I'd be surprised if it happens. Just because a team put itself in a cap bind doesn't mean a player doesn't want to get paid and an agent doesn't want a commission check.

I never said that. You have an infuriating habit of putting words in my mouth.

You said "in a perfect world, agents would want what's best for the team." Perfect or imperfect, agents want what's best for their clients, but it is their clients who make the call.

If Marchand trusts his agent so implicitly that he lets him make decisions for him, that's his choice, but that doesn't mean everyone does the same. And no less an expert than Bobby Orr warns against that, but that's another topic.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Does anyone think that there is any chance of someone offer sheeting him? I don't think I do at all. I would play some hard ball.

If he gets past July 1st? Absolutely.

A team could offer something not too outrageous, but overpay him by just enough. We'd get very little in return and they'd screw us over. Losing any of our top-6 forwards completely messes up our entire depth. Not to mention, the team that gets him gets a 23 year old 20 goal scorer. His first full year, he could turn into something really special. It's not like it would be a move only to screw with us. Think of a team like Buffalo. LOADS of cap space, building around young players... Watch out. It is a two-way street, though. If you offer sheet players, the other GM usually locks down on you and makes your life hell. We'll see.

Highly doubt that either he or Krug are RFAs for long.

member 96824

I never said that. You have an infuriating habit of putting words in my mouth.

You said "in a perfect world, agents would want what's best for the team." Perfect or imperfect, agents want what's best for their clients, but it is their clients who make the call.

If Marchand trusts his agent so implicitly that he lets him make decisions for him, that's his choice, but that doesn't mean everyone does the same. And no less an expert than Bobby Orr warns against that, but that's another topic.

Which was a direct response to "Agents understand teams have different circumstances"

The entire purpose of an agent is to act on behalf of another. It's that way in sports, law, etc. 95% of these guys never step foot into a contract negotiation. That's why they hire agents....so they don't have to.

But yeah, you brought up another fantastic example in Orr. These guys care about getting paid. They use any evidence they have to get their client paid, and in turn...get their cut up front.

I don't even know what the **** you are arguing against? Are you saying I'm wrong in thinking Smith's agent will use Palat as a comparable? Are you saying I'm wrong in thinking that he'll come in around 3M and anything less is a great deal? Are you just disagreeing to stick your head into a conversation because my original comment wasn't even close to directed at you? Did you really think I needed to be enlightened by you to find out what an agents job is? What are you even talking about Artemis?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Smith won't get as much. So long as he plays with Bergy he'll put up points but I don't think he was as good as his barely 20 goals and 50 points would indicate. After a 2 year bridge deal around 2.5 we will know if he is the real deal or not.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Until those 4 play a full season in the NHL (81 games minimum) and put up similar if not better numbers than him, Palat is most certainly a cornerstone for them.

Kucharov only played 52 games and put up 8-8-16 numbers. He is going to be a great for them but right now, Palat has a leg up on him.

Also lost in all of this is that Palat and Smitty play completely different roles.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Palat is a legitimate 1st line winger and will be probably putting up PPG numbers in the next 2 years.

Smith is great, but not that good. 3 years/7-8m.

Smith was a pleasant surprise, but I wouldn`t say great, although I`m not sure that was really the context you meant it to be

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Smith shouldn't get 3. playing with bergy helped him a lot. hope he understands that...

If not, Chia will remind him;)

First words out of Chia`s mouth as they sit down to hammer out a deal

"so, how`d you enjoy playing in Boston alongside of a consummate pro and consistent Selke finalist like Bergy"??:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad