TSN: Tampa signs O.Palat - 3yrs/10mill

Kaoz*

1st - 2.8mill
2nd - 3.2mill
3rd - 4mill

Could be something R.Smith will look at.

Ugh... 3'ish mill cap hit for Smith? That's a bit rich for a second contract after 1 semi decent year.

At least he won't be eligible for any type of clause for a bit.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Smith = 3 years at 7.5.

Bergeron carried both his wingers all years. They should give him half their take...

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
IMO 3million is a bit too rich as well. I love what the kid brings to the table, let's just hope he doesn't try to break the bank.

I'm seeing a 2 year deal - maybe 5million.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I was expecting 2.75 per year for Smith, but this deal is a pretty direct comparable so he'll probably get 3+ now. Dammit.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Smith 82gp - 20g - 31a - 51pts

Palat 81gp - 23g - 36a - 59pts

Palat put up slightly better numbers with lesser linemates. Add in Smith having a real cold streak through the end of the season and into the playoffs (flu/injury assisted from what I'm understand but still not good in a contact year) I don't think Smith hits that high of a number.

3yrs - 7.5-8.25mil

2yrs - 5.0-5.5mil

Those are my guesses depending on the number of years he goes after.

edit: Also don't forget, Reilly Smith was coming off a so-so year where he was good in the AHL but cold in an extended stay with an admittedly bad Dallas team while Palat was coming off a dominant AHL campaign where he was .93PPG in the regular season and an astounding 1.44PPG in the playoffs.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Bridge him 2 years at 2.5 per or let him walk.

acr*

Didn't TB give their other young gun 3 million too? Not much on the bridge contracts are you, Stevie Y?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Keep in mind that most teams don't have 4 million in cap penalties to worry about. We can't judge that number solely based on the fact that it sucks for the Bruins.

3 million per year IS a bridge contract in today's NHL with the cap approaching 70 million. Marchand's bridge years were at 2.5 million. Adjusted for cap inflation, 3 million per year for a player like Smith is absolutely fair.

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
Keep in mind that most teams don't have 4 million in cap penalties to worry about. We can't judge that number solely based on the fact that it sucks for the Bruins.

3 million per year IS a bridge contract in today's NHL with the cap approaching 70 million. Marchand's bridge years were at 2.5 million. Adjusted for cap inflation, 3 million per year for a player like Smith is absolutely fair.

TB can sign Callahan for 6.5 mill, 3 of their lessor UFA's, sign a Chad Johnson like backup and still have cap space of about 6 million.(71m cap) Plus T.Johnson and Palat will still be RFAs at the end of these contracts.

Last edited:

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Bridge him 2 years at 2.5 per or let him walk.

This. I like Smith A LOT. But no way he's worth anything 3 mill or over. Personally, I don't think he is as good as his numbers suggest, keep in mind he took the entire 2nd half of the season off. He had what 4 goals I think? Then finished with a solid postseason. Don't get me wrong, I think he could turn into a fine player, kid's got absolutely filthy hands, but there's some question marks there. Bridge him.

BigBadBs4life

Jul 4, 2011
Halifax
I think Bruins management get him a bit cheaper selling him on the team first take a little less mentality i think Smith cashs in for 2.75 a year on a 2 or 3 year deal same for Krug i think bart gets traded just my 2 cents.

acr*

Does anyone think that there is any chance of someone offer sheeting him? I don't think I do at all. I would play some hard ball.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
IMO 3million is a bit too rich as well. I love what the kid brings to the table, let's just hope he doesn't try to break the bank.

I'm seeing a 2 year deal - maybe 5million.
\

^What it should be. ^ :nod:

Too much money... which means Chia will give him more and a NTC.

^What it will (probably) be.^:p:
Chia is a great guy and an excellent GM BUT.....needs to toughen up a smidgen with the NTC/NMC giveaways IMO.....

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Does anyone think that there is any chance of someone offer sheeting him? I don't think I do at all. I would play some hard ball.

This isn't Crosby, he had a decent season but so doesn't anyone who is centered by Bergy? Some cold streaks that are a concern and a bridge at under 3 per year should be about where we end up, if it's good enough for P.K it's more than enough for Smith.

Don't get me wrong I love the guy but there is still more that has to be played out before we break the bank.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Keep in mind he's an RFA on a Cap tight team no ay he gets 3M per.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I hope Smith doesn't require that kind of contract, it would suck with our cap situation. But I think Palat is coming off of a year where he's looked at as one of TB's core players going forward. Smith started nice but I don't think he's someone you would consider a core guy right now.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Palat is a better player than Reilly Smith plus, Tampa is building around him which is why he got the money he did.

Now that MSL is gone, Tampa is redeveloping their core and Stamkos, Palat and Bishop are their cornerstones.

It is a good deal for TB.

Smith will get a bridge deal. I'd give him a 2 year, 5 mil deal (2.5 per). You can always renegotiate in his final year when we have a lot of cap room.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Palat is a better player than Reilly Smith plus, Tampa is building around him which is why he got the money he did.

Now that MSL is gone, Tampa is redeveloping their core and Stamkos, Palat and Bishop are their cornerstones.

It is a good deal for TB.

Smith will get a bridge deal. I'd give him a 2 year, 5 mil deal (2.5 per). You can always renegotiate in his final year when we have a lot of cap room.

Not to mention that Tampa has more than enough cap space to play with at this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->