Tampa or Boston?

Cory Kennedy

Mar 24, 2018
Ontario
So the Leafs are headed into the playoffs and could either end up playing the Tampa Bay Lighting or the Boston Bruins in the 1st round. Which team do you think is more likely? In my own opinion, even though Tampa is only 2 points behind a the time I am writing this I don't think they will be able to edge Boston for the 1st place spot in the Atlantic Division. Boston is just to strong with their offence, defence and goaltending in Tuukka Rask. They are racking up points easy and do have the games in hand so there fore I say we will most likely play the Tampa Bay Lighting in the 1st round. Who do you guys think we will get in the 1st round? Comment down below! This is Cory Kennedy signing out!

Reactions: All_blueandwhite

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
really just about the same, imo bos and tb are the top 2 teams in the nhl, its gonna be equally as tough but bring it on

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
we've shown that we can kick tampa's ass pretty easily when the team gives a shit... Stamkos won't be 100% during the playoffs either, he'll be there but his only impact will most likely be 1 timers on the pp or something like that. I'm not buying that a lbi that pulled him from the game and is listed as "day to day" will mean that hes going to be at 100% for round one, very doubtful.

At the same time... we can beat anyone, so I really don't care. We've gotten in both rask and vasilesky's heads at points this season, they are very beatable. When this team plays a complete game, they are basically unbeatable.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Wrote this in a main board thread, but will elaborate here.

Tampa is faltering at the worst time. Boston is peaking. Toronto somewhere in the middle but with getting Matthews back who is now above PPG since his return, closer to Boston than Tampa in terms of form.

Tampa has Stamkos injured as well who won't be 100 percent for the playoffs start regardless. Both teams are deep. Their top D will turn up for the playoffs I'm sure, but if we get playoffs Rielly+Gardiner and Dermott continues his stellar play, those balance out. I like our chances there. Vasi also anywhere near as good as he was during their insane run in the first half of the season. I actually like our chances against Tampa, although obviously, nothing is a guarantee. For my money's worth, I think whoever is to escape the Atlantic bloodbath will make the finals.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Tampa. Vasilevskiy has been one of the worst goalies in the league over the past 2 months

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Both will be a tough battle, but Boston is scary right now.

Plus, when Kucherov or Stamkos scores on us I can at least respect that. When Marchand scores on us, I'll feel dirty....

Fantastic player, wish he was on my team, hate him so much.:laugh:

Reactions: RedRenegade

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am in the minority but I want Boston because I look at Boston and I see 1 line that scares me, and it's a GREAT line but it's ONE line, once you get past that the Leafs have the edge.

I don't think Boston can match Marleau Kadri Marner.

They sure as hell can't match JVR Bozak Brown

Tampa can though

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Boston wins tonight head to head against TB its essentially puts Lightning (whom I predicted preseason to win the Cup) on a collision course with my Leafs in round #1.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Tampa just to be able to enjoy watching two very fast , skilled teams go at it without too much of the cheap shyte ala Marchand and company .

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Toronto vs Boston is a figure skating team vs a hockey team.

Toronto vs TB is a figure skating team vs another figure skating team.

The later match-up even though TB has better players is a better fit stylistically for the Leafs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zizzzzy

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
what is the point of this talk and debate over which team Leafs want to play???

If the Leafs want to have success they will have to beat both. BOS will fly through NJ on their way to round 2.

This Leafs team set the francise record for wins in a season will also set the franchise record for points in a season. So after 101 years Leafs Nation is seeing the best team to ever wear the jersey. SO winning one round is not enough.

Leafs have to win 2 rounds. BOS and Tampa in whatever order, it doesn't matter. Leafs will have to go through both.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
I think OP was interested in whom we are likely to face in the first round, rather than who do we WANT to face in the first round more. However, to me the answers to both would be TB.

Reactions: Mikey88

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Either one is fine with me. I'm just glad Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo and Detroit are giant dumpster fires. We are going to finish top 3 in our division for a long time.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I would expect at least 1 of those teams to turn it around pretty quick.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
It doesn't matter. We have to beat them both to get to the Conference finals. They both have their disadvantages. Boston will beat us physically, so we will be battered going into round 2. Tampa will score a lot of goals on us, so the confidence of our back end will be shaken going into round 2.

I've always been the type of person to face the tougher challenge first. Why prolong the difficulty. Get it over with. If you survive, you will be stronger going to that next level. If you don't, you at least feel like you did something worth doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad