Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Who says no to this deal?

To Detroit; Vegas 2021 1st, Robin Lehner, Tyler Johnson, Tampa 2022 1st

To Tampa: Tyler Bertuzzi signed 1 year 3M, Cody Glass

To Vegas: Steven Stamkos

Trade assumes that all NMCs are waived

Value wise would this deal make sense for the teams involved

Vegas --> They get the best center in team history and a guy who helps fix their weakness at the center position

Detroit --> They get 2 1st round picks to further stock the pool. Lehner is signed 4 years at 5M. Had a down year but still put a .913 and has been elite the past 3 years. They can see his play this year and then look to trade him either at the deadline to get another 1st. Tyler Johnson serves as a 2 year capdump but the wings aren't competing next year for sure and 2023 is probably a year early for them to compete

Tampa: Lose there captain but get two players with Glass being a cheap 3C option next year and then they get Bertuzzi for one year who takes 3M to prove he is healthy and stat pile on a dominant Tampa team. He plays a hard nosed style and can help Tampa replace coleman/goodrow while being better offensively. He won't be there long term but for 1 year pushing for the 3-peat he'd be a incredible asset.

Thoughts on the trade?

Wow Detroit makes out like bandits here.
Tampa and vegad both overpay IMO. take out the bolts first and it's somewhat closer for them. Not sure how to even it out for vegas.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not sure why Tampa does this.

They lose a first, Johnson, and Stamkos for scraps.

Sure, they save $. But they are worse off personnel wise.

Well no shit. They were 18M over the cap during the playoffs. They're currently over the cap before re-signing anybody. Of course they're going to be worse personnel-wise. They shouldn't make this particular deal, but you want to keep the same roster and have it be cap compliant? That's just not gonna happen, brudda.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Well no shit. They were 18M over the cap during the playoffs. They're currently over the cap before re-signing anybody. Of course they're going to be worse personnel-wise. They shouldn't make this particular deal, but you want to keep the same roster and have it be cap compliant? That's just not gonna happen, brudda.

Agreed but this is overkill, we can still create cap space with a scalpel instead of a hatchet.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
It's not bad but don't necessarily love it for Wings. Not sure how Lehner is gonna age, he kinda worries me that he'll fall of a cliff. Two late 1st's is solid but seems a little light for losing Bertuzzi and taking on Johnson. I know TJ has improved his stock a little but he'd still be cap dump value to a team like Detroit who wants to open roster spots for young guys to work into.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's not bad but don't necessarily love it for Wings. Not sure how Lehner is gonna age, he kinda worries me that he'll fall of a cliff. Two late 1st's is solid but seems a little light for losing Bertuzzi and taking on Johnson. I know TJ has improved his stock a little but he'd still be cap dump value to a team like Detroit who wants to open roster spots for young guys to work into.

Wait what? This trade is ridiculously lopsided for Detroit. It's crazy in Detroit's favor. They're getting 2 1sts, Lehner, and Tyler Johnson for Tyler Bertuzzi. That's insanity.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Really surprised to see other Wings fans liking this one

I would think an RFA Bertuzzi fetches roughly a late 1st in value on his own

We are taking on Lehner and Johnson for only an additional late first?

Both Lehner and Johnson are fine players but neither fits Detroit's time line in the slightest and their contracts are the furthest thing from desirable to the Wings at this point in their rebuild

I have no interest in helping two of the best teams in the league get better for pennies on the dollar while losing one of our better young players in the process

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Picks 28-32 are not great value picks lets be honest

TJ was waived and every single team said "eww no thankyou"

I'd do it but it's not crazy lopsided

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Wait what? This trade is ridiculously lopsided for Detroit. It's crazy in Detroit's favor. They're getting 2 1sts, Lehner, and Tyler Johnson for Tyler Bertuzzi. That's insanity.

It's not terrible but definitely not lopsided for Detroit. Johnson was unclaimed a few months ago. He's a cap dump despite having an ok season, especially with the term he has left and the Bolts having no leverage needing to get him off their books. He certainly would not get the deal he has if he hit free agency now. Makes more sense for Wings to give guys like Veleno and Rasmussen those minutes, take their lumps now and hopefully develop into good NHL players.

I don't value Lehner highly either, he already looked like he was slowing down this year. He'll be 30 in a couple weeks and at his size (240lbs) I question how well he'll age and retain enough quickness side to side to be a viable starter in the latter years of his deal.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Who says no to this deal?

To Detroit; Vegas 2021 1st, Robin Lehner, Tyler Johnson, Tampa 2022 1st

To Tampa: Tyler Bertuzzi signed 1 year 3M, Cody Glass

To Vegas: Steven Stamkos

Trade assumes that all NMCs are waived

Value wise would this deal make sense for the teams involved

Vegas --> They get the best center in team history and a guy who helps fix their weakness at the center position

Detroit --> They get 2 1st round picks to further stock the pool. Lehner is signed 4 years at 5M. Had a down year but still put a .913 and has been elite the past 3 years. They can see his play this year and then look to trade him either at the deadline to get another 1st. Tyler Johnson serves as a 2 year capdump but the wings aren't competing next year for sure and 2023 is probably a year early for them to compete

Tampa: Lose there captain but get two players with Glass being a cheap 3C option next year and then they get Bertuzzi for one year who takes 3M to prove he is healthy and stat pile on a dominant Tampa team. He plays a hard nosed style and can help Tampa replace coleman/goodrow while being better offensively. He won't be there long term but for 1 year pushing for the 3-peat he'd be a incredible asset.

Thoughts on the trade?
Johnson has a 20 team trade list and there is a good chance Detroit is on it. I’ll buy Yzerman talking TJ into coming for trade board storytelling purposes since Tampa had clearly been desperate to dump his ass and he could get more playing time and/or leadership role in Detroit.

Lehner has a 8 no team trade list and I’d bet real money Detroit is on it because he doesn’t want to get dumped there in a scenario just like this. So Lehner says no.

Vegas says no. Stamkos has a 8.5m cap hit and can’t stay healthy, they need a cheaper solution at center right now.

Stamkos said no last off-season and I’m skeptical that he suddenly willing to give up the chance to play with the team that drafted him 1OA for his entire career so they can keep guys like Killorn or whatever. Cap maintenance isn’t his problem, I think Stamkos says no.

Does Tampa like either player they are getting? Is Glass a NHLer? (I actually don’t know.)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Easily do this as a Wings fan, but no way Bertuzzi is taking a pay cut at this stage of his career, regardless of going to a Stanley Cup Threat.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad