Prospect Info: Tampa Bay Lightning prospect rankings 2017- #6

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Many good prospects will fall outside the top 10 in this voting. We have a really nice prospect pool, that's for sure.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
We've gone 5/5 with the BP rankings so far. Torn between Stephens and Koekkoek for this pick. BP has Stephens, Koekkoek, Dotchin as the next 3 in that order. Could all be interchangeable, but I still think Koekkoek is a legit top 4 D that can anchor a pairing. I value that over middle 6 energy winger and bottom 4 people mover.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Koekkoek being ranked this highly is based only on draft position and nothing else. He does not produce a lot of offense at the AHL level (and next to none at the NHL level). Ranking him above Dotchin or Stephens is just desperately hoping he's not a bust.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Koekkoek being ranked this highly is based only on draft position and nothing else. He does not produce a lot of offense at the AHL level (and next to none at the NHL level). Ranking him above Dotchin or Stephens is just desperately hoping he's not a bust.

I think that has more to do with how he's being developed than him not being capable of it. Yzerman has stressed the emphasis they place on developing the defensive side of a player's game and then letting the offense come back to compliment that. I really do think that if he is given his shot at the NHL level and given his 200 games, he will be a #3/4 defenseman.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I think that has more to do with how he's being developed than him not being capable of it. Yzerman has stressed the emphasis they place on developing the defensive side of a player's game and then letting the offense come back to compliment that. I really do think that if he is given his shot at the NHL level and given his 200 games, he will be a #3/4 defenseman.

That's certainly how his poor production is justified. I've seen all of his NHL games - if that's the result of him "developing his D" we're in trouble.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

He's been far and away better than Dotchin the past 5 years except for 35 games this year, maybe not even that many as Dotchin wasn't great every game. If Dotchin can get ranked this high for less than a half a season worth of play Koekkoek should too for being our top D prospect for like the past 5 years.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We've gone 5/5 with the BP rankings so far. Torn between Stephens and Koekkoek for this pick. BP has Stephens, Koekkoek, Dotchin as the next 3 in that order. Could all be interchangeable, but I still think Koekkoek is a legit top 4 D that can anchor a pairing. I value that over middle 6 energy winger and bottom 4 people mover.

Not sure how this board and BP put Cirelli as high as he is. Think he's a great prospect just doesn't have the ceiling for a top 5 prospect. Hopefully we don't copy BP on this pick because Joseph is a better prospect than Stephens for forwards, the two defenders are hard to judge because they've each been so up and down it's hard to tell which one you're gonna get.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Went with Erne this time but there's a bunch that seem pretty close together to me.

Am still very high on Volkov and Lipanov.

But I really liked how Erne played with the Lightning even if it was a relatively small sample size. Think he really has some decent upside and is probably closer to being ready to play regularly in the NHL than some. Though I like the baby hippo nickname, baby bulldog would work too, I think, since he's just so darn tenacious with the puck. :laugh:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Went with Erne this time but there's a bunch that seem pretty close together to me.

Am still very high on Volkov and Lipanov.

But I really liked how Erne played with the Lightning even if it was a relatively small sample size. Think he really has some decent upside and is probably closer to being ready to play regularly in the NHL than some. Though I like the baby hippo nickname, baby bulldog would work too, I think, since he's just so darn tenacious with the puck. :laugh:

I did like Erne's game a lot - I'm interested to see him play with some talent.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
That's certainly how his poor production is justified. I've seen all of his NHL games - if that's the result of him "developing his D" we're in trouble.

The Coburn-Koekkoek pairing was just fine, and statistically our second best pairing at the time. I would have preferred more reps at the NHL level for Slater than more top pairing minutes in the AHL, but at least he got a good playoff run out of it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think we've all gotten too sour on Koekkoek over 29 games.

We were all very high on him coming out of the 2016 playoffs.

I'm still gonna go with Erne. I really like his physical tools.

EDIT: Whoops! Voted before I realized Joseph was still out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad