Prospect Info: Tampa Bay Lightning prospect rankings 2017- #5

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I have no idea how some of you regard Dotchin so highly as a prospect. He has no pedigree, didn't have a spectacular junior career, was a depth AHL player that had the stars align for him, and just happened to have great chemistry with a top 5 defenseman in the world. Even Dotchin supporters readily admit that without Hedman he would be a replacement level player. How is he getting votes in the top 5 prospect spots? So many better prospects than him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Back to Matt Joseph. Mostly for what I think is a high floor. Should easily be a 35-40 point tweener, with some upside on top of that.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I have no idea how some of you regard Dotchin so highly as a prospect. He has no pedigree, didn't have a spectacular junior career, was a depth AHL player that had the stars align for him, and just happened to have great chemistry with a top 5 defenseman in the world. Even Dotchin supporters readily admit that without Hedman he would be a replacement level player. How is he getting votes in the top 5 prospect spots? So many better prospects than him.

The stars aligned for him? He had to outplay Koekkoek in the American League to get the call up didn't he? And he outplayed him here, that's for damn sure. You have to be nothing but impressed with the work he's put in to get to this spot.

Also, it's unfair to call him a depth player because he played lower in the lineup. A young guy turning pro, who worked his way up to the being in the top four of a championship caliber team is something to be encouraged about.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Was a toss up for me with Volkov and Lipanov.

Picked Lipanov this time. Loads of talent. His skating and puck handling skills were really solid for a new baby draftee. Agile guy with good vision.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
The stars aligned for him? He had to outplay Koekkoek in the American League to get the call up didn't he? And he outplayed him here, that's for damn sure. You have to be nothing but impressed with the work he's put in to get to this spot.

Also, it's unfair to call him a depth player because he played lower in the lineup. A young guy turning pro, who worked his way up to the being in the top four of a championship caliber team is something to be encouraged about.

Since Koekkoek is a LHD and Dotchin is a RHD, I don't think they were directly competing for a call up to the NHL. Garrison was still with us (barely) but was doing so poorly that when Dotchin came up, they split our top pair so Strålman could try and salvage Garrison while Dotchin played simple Do-No-Harm defense with the always amazing Heddy.

It is definitely encouraging to see how much work and effort he put into staying up with the team, but I wonder how he would do without Heddy.

For those of you that watched the games, how did Koekkoek and Dotchin do as a defensive pair during the Calder Cup championship??

I know it wouldn't be prudent to put two rookies on a pair together since the opposition would eat them as a snack. But I was just wondering how Dotchin played with a different partner.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Since Koekkoek is a LHD and Dotchin is a RHD, I don't think they were directly competing for a call up to the NHL. Garrison was still with us (barely) but was doing so poorly that when Dotchin came up, they split our top pair so Strålman could try and salvage Garrison while Dotchin played simple Do-No-Harm defense with the always amazing Heddy.

It is definitely encouraging to see how much work and effort he put into staying up with the team, but I wonder how he would do without Heddy.

For those of you that watched the games, how did Koekkoek and Dotchin do as a defensive pair during the Calder Cup championship??

I know it wouldn't be prudent to put two rookies on a pair together since the opposition would eat them as a snack. But I was just wondering how Dotchin played with a different partner.

Koekkoek was good. Not spectacular, just solid. Dotchin was getting burned quite a bit. Didn't look like someone who just spent half a season on the top pair.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

A) He wasn't in competition with Koekkoek at all. They play different sides.
B) I'll be impressed if he is able to play top 4 without Hedman.
C) It's unfair to call a depth player a depth player? This isn't a guy we just drafted last year. He was on his 3rd professional year with Syracuse and was still behind a few other guys. It took several injuries for him to even get called up. So yes, a depth player had the stars align just right to land him in a great spot.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
It's between Raddysh and Joesph for me. Dotchin wasn't the same player in the Calder Cup finals that's for sure.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't care how good Dotchin was in the AHL or the juniors. It's not luck that he played like a top 4 defenseman in his time in the NHL. Some say he only impressed because of Hedman but he was good even before he got paired up with him. Anyways my vote goes to Raddysh, then Dotchin.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't care how good Dotchin was in the AHL or the juniors. It's not luck that he played like a top 4 defenseman in his time in the NHL. Some say he only impressed because of Hedman but he was good even before he got paired up with him. Anyways my vote goes to Raddysh, then Dotchin.

Huh? He played with Hedman from the start, who was he playing with that made him look good? The guy's numbers away from Hedman aren't great and he doesn't PK, if he can do those and look good I'll rank him accordingly, but he hasn't so shouldn't be a top 5 prospect.

Joseph for me again. High floor and a ceiling that's reachable for him. Raddysh has a higher ceiling but will be harder to hit it.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Huh? He played with Hedman from the start, who was he playing with that made him look good? The guy's numbers away from Hedman aren't great and he doesn't PK, if he can do those and look good I'll rank him accordingly, but he hasn't so shouldn't be a top 5 prospect.

Joseph for me again. High floor and a ceiling that's reachable for him. Raddysh has a higher ceiling but will be harder to hit it.

I don't know where you get that from. I checked a few GDTs from his first games and Dotchin wasn't on the first pairing in any of them. Obviously they could be mistaken but he wasn't paired with Hedman right off the bat, I'm pretty sure about that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't know where you get that from. I checked a few GDTs from his first games and Dotchin wasn't on the first pairing in any of them. Obviously they could be mistaken but he wasn't paired with Hedman right off the bat, I'm pretty sure about that.

I just watched highlights of the first 4 games Dotchin played. He wasn't on there much but the times he was it was with Hedman mostly, once with Coburn. He wasn't on the top pair yet as they played 7 D for at least one game so the pairings were off but he was out there with Hedman most of the time.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Obviously I'm biased, but I'm going with Lipanov, as I think he got the upside. And to make my bias more complete, voting to add Sosunov.

P.s. since we got to the #5, does anyone remember those good old days (back in 2013, iirc), when Kucherov was a consensus #5 behind Drouin, Vasya, Killorn and, Connolly?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Cernak. He's a #4 as a floor and a dominant physical force. Everything Dotchin is but better.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Obviously I'm biased, but I'm going with Lipanov, as I think he got the upside. And to make my bias more complete, voting to add Sosunov.

P.s. since we got to the #5, does anyone remember those good old days (back in 2013, iirc), when Kucherov was a consensus #5 behind Drouin, Vasya, Killorn and, Connolly?

No, lol

Kucherov touching 2 ppg average was enough to shake everyone's expectations of him.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Those prospect rankings a few years ago on HF are pretty funny when you look at them now. :laugh:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Dotchin played 111:15 without Hedman and was a negative possession player. Small sample size but riding a 111 PDO, so he was getting lots of luck for sure.

I'm with Hose. I won't believe he is deserving of a top 5 spot in our prospect rankings until he can actually show something away from Hedman. All we've seen for the past 5 years since he was drafted was a solid defensive guy in juniors, a depth defenseman in Syracuse, and a complementary player with Hedman.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I like Dotchin, but I don't think he's our next best defensive prospect. Raddysh is the next to go.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
What the top 6 should be:

1. Mikhail Sergachev
2. Jake Dotchin
3. Taylor Raddysh
4. Cal Foote
5. Anthony Cirelli
6. Brett Howden

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

You act like playing 20 minutes a night on the top pair is easy. At the end of the day, he's far more proven. He may never be more than a guy that can compliment a good player, but he is *at least* that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->