18) Matthew Peca - 45%
19) Connor Ingram - 56%
20) Matthew Spencer - 71%
21) Ben Thomas - 45%
22) Cole Guttman - 26%
23) Ross Colton - 67%

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I set this one to 3 days since we only got 9 votes. I'll probably end it at 25 prospects

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
You know our pool is good when three of Walker, Tammela, Chris Paquette, Otto Somppi and (albeit disappointing) John MacLeod won't be top-15.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No one is with me on Somppi so I'll vote for Sammy Walker by a hair over Jonne Tammela.

I've repeatedly asked you to explain why Somppi is a good choice but you've yet to answer that, so why would anyone pick him when you haven't made a good argument for him. Same thing with Tammela, he had an ok draft year but was injured all last year, he doesn't have any one skill that's all that impressive so what makes him a good choice?

MacLeod is terrible, Paquette doesn't have great offensive potential but is a good defensive forward who plays an NHL style game. Lohin didn't put up good numbers in the USHL till his 19 year old season but he had a good freshman year so he's trending upwards. Walker lit up Minnesota HS on one of if not the best schools in Minnesota so he comes from a good program, produced great and has a ton of skills that if they translate can make him a top player. You need to pump up your guys tires if you want some votes.

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
I've repeatedly asked you to explain why Somppi is a good choice but you've yet to answer that, so why would anyone pick him when you haven't made a good argument for him. Same thing with Tammela, he had an ok draft year but was injured all last year, he doesn't have any one skill that's all that impressive so what makes him a good choice?
Tammela is very impressive skater. Fast and agile, hard to stop on one-one situations. I'm worried because it was the knee which kept him out for whole last season.

Carter Verhaeghe is also a good player.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

I am really starting to like Sammy Walker.

Anyway, Sommpi has put up solid stats in juniors for 2 seasons now in a limited role. He is also a very good 2-way player. He has decent size and can win faceoffs. He may be a perfect 4c in the future.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I am really starting to like Sammy Walker.

Anyway, Sommpi has put up solid stats in juniors for 2 seasons now in a limited role. He is also a very good 2-way player. He has decent size and can win faceoffs. He may be a perfect 4c in the future.

Solid stats? He's not even close to a ppg player in his draft +1 year. He's also a good sized kid, 6'2 180-190, so it's not like a Gourde or Marchessault where they were undersized so didn't score in the Q till 19-20 because of that. He also didn't play a limited role last year, he was top 2 in faceoffs on the so was getting plenty of opportunities. His last year in Finland he wasn't even lighting up Jr A there, I just don't think he has the offensive upside to make it. If you could take Tammela skill and put it on Somppi body with his two way play you might have something but separate I don't have a lot of hope for either, better than Salminen at least.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Solid stats? He's not even close to a ppg player in his draft +1 year. He's also a good sized kid, 6'2 180-190, so it's not like a Gourde or Marchessault where they were undersized so didn't score in the Q till 19-20 because of that. He also didn't play a limited role last year, he was top 2 in faceoffs on the so was getting plenty of opportunities. His last year in Finland he wasn't even lighting up Jr A there, I just don't think he has the offensive upside to make it. If you could take Tammela skill and put it on Somppi body with his two way play you might have something but separate I don't have a lot of hope for either, better than Salminen at least.

come on, at least tammela can become a bournival and somppi a (bigger) Dumont type, IMO.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
come on, at least tammela can become a bournival and somppi a (bigger) Dumont type, IMO.

Hard to say on either. We haven't seen Tammela in NA outside of a few games. Bournival didn't kill the Q did have 3 straight years over a ppg and a 30 goal season. It would be best for Tammela to go to Peterborough next year instead of turning pro cause I can't see him getting the minutes he needs to develop. He needs to add a little jam to his game to be like Bournival too.

Have you seen what Dumont did at 19 in the Q? 51 goals and 93 points, Sommpi might not even get 51 points next year. He may be good on the draw but his offensive game is extremely poor right now. If he doesn't at least go ppg he might not get a contract. They have Howden coming up after next year and Paquette is another center who has a similar game, so Otto needs to be better than Paquette to get a contract cause I can't see both getting one.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Going with Walker again. Hose's info about his HS performance just reinforces my choice. There were a bunch of us at the Dev Camp that were thinking "who the heck is this Walker kid?" because he was just. that. good.

I'd even consider him a candidate for one of the best overall skaters at the Camp. Always centered solidly over his skates, never out of balance or control. His body, skates and stick were always working together efficiently. Yet he was as quick and agile as heck! In 1v1 drills, he was hard to knock off the puck even though he was always the smallest. During the 3v3 tournament, he was outstanding. The format played perfectly into his strengths of speed, agility and a great shot.

I think if Walker continues to progress as he has so far, he may have a decent chance to make the NHL.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I've seen Somppi play live a few times in Quebec, didn't stand out as a guy who would go any further to me. I'm no scout though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad