8) Slater Koekkoek - 38%
9) Mathieu Joseph - 36%
10) Erik Cernak - 35%
11) Mitchell Stephens - 39%
12) Libor Hajek - 67%

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I'm surprised Katchouk is getting votes. He's average at pretty much everything. He isn't elite defensively, he wasn't even a ppg in the OHL, and everytime i've watched him in the OHL and at the Lightning camps he's never been that impressive
I have my doubts he will ever stick in the NHL.
I'd have Lipanov, Yan, Masin, Spencer all above him.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I'm surprised Katchouk is getting votes. He's average at pretty much everything. He isn't elite defensively, he wasn't even a ppg in the OHL, and everytime i've watched him in the OHL and at the Lightning camps he's never been that impressive

Volkov too IMO

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Top 15 in goals in the OHL, top 10 in non PP goals, 1st in SHG. He plays a power game which typically doesn't light up the scoreboard. His defensive game is really good, best PKer in the league, great two way forward with a nasty, heavy forecheck. Nothing wrong with his game at all.

I like Lipanov but he hasn't played in NA yet so not sure he translates as well. Yan is a great shooter, the rest of his game has issues. Masin is a monster defensively but his offensive upside is limited. Spencer has been trending downward since he's been drafted, huge question marks with him.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Top 15 in goals in the OHL, top 10 in non PP goals, 1st in SHG. He plays a power game which typically doesn't light up the scoreboard. His defensive game is really good, best PKer in the league, great two way forward with a nasty, heavy forecheck. Nothing wrong with his game at all.

I like Lipanov but he hasn't played in NA yet so not sure he translates as well. Yan is a great shooter, the rest of his game has issues. Masin is a monster defensively but his offensive upside is limited. Spencer has been trending downward since he's been drafted, huge question marks with him.

All of this is spot on. Katchouk will make for the perfect third liner, he's got a little bit of everything. I had trouble deciding between Masin and Katchouk. Lipanov is a mystery-box at the moment, but the draft + 1 season is always the most important development year, and he's in a great system in Barrie.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Sold.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
All of this is spot on. Katchouk will make for the perfect third liner, he's got a little bit of everything. I had trouble deciding between Masin and Katchouk. Lipanov is a mystery-box at the moment, but the draft + 1 season is always the most important development year, and he's in a great system in Barrie.

You see, Lipanov also seems like a perfect middle-6 guy. Shutdown ability and solid offensive skills. I get if a more proven prospect makes more sense here but I really like Lipanov's potential.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

AKA this is the rung where every prospect is going to have their warts including Katchouk. I'm very surprised however to see the same people who voted Cirelli at #4 outright dismissing Katchouk because of offense. Cirelli tops out as a #3 center too, because of his offensive ceiling.

As industrious as Bergenheim was on the forecheck, I think Boris will be a 20-20 guy with great puck possession #'s and a fan favorite.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You see, Lipanov also seems like a perfect middle-6 guy. Shutdown ability and solid offensive skills. I get if a more proven prospect makes more sense here but I really like Lipanov's potential.

I think you are way overstating his shutdown ability. He has some two way game because of his hockey IQ, but he's 160 lbs soaking wet so if he doesn't get stronger he'll be useless against grown men. It'll be his first season in North America, and he's also got a reputation for being pass heavy, to a fault. Sound like a certain former center we recently dealt away?

If he develops into Filpulla, that'll be great, but that's a harder projection than someone like Katchouk who looks destined to have a long career even with minimal offensive contribution.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think you are way overstating his shutdown ability. He has some two way game because of his hockey IQ, but he's 160 lbs soaking wet so if he doesn't get stronger he'll be useless against grown men. It'll be his first season in North America, and he's also got a reputation for being pass heavy, to a fault. Sound like a certain former center we recently dealt away?

If he develops into Filpulla, that'll be great, but that's a harder projection than someone like Katchouk who looks destined to have a long career even with minimal offensive contribution.

Yeah. I just think he can develop into a really nice 2nd liner.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm excited to see how our two Russiana do next season as they make the jump into North America. My vote goes to Lipanov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad