Tampa Bay Lightning Player Awards

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Let's talk end of season awards. Post your suggestions for each and I'll post the results after in the OP. Deadline is puck drop on Thursday.

My votes:
Hart: Tyler Johnson
Norris: Anton Stralman
Vezina: Ben Bishop
Selke: Ondrej Palat
Calder: Vasilevskiy(?)

A few others that aren't official awards:
Most Improved: Nikita Kucherov
Best Call Up: Nikita Nesterov (haven't seen a D callup with that type of offense in a long time)
Goat Award: Andrej Sustr

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Let's talk end of season awards. Post your suggestions for each and I'll post the results after in the OP. Deadline is puck drop on Thursday.

My votes:

Best Call Up: Nikita Nesterov (haven't seen a D callup with that type of offense in a long time)

I thought I was a huge Sustr fan, GOAT is pretty high praise but he deserves it.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

My votes:

this will probably get yelled upon but i was sure of stralmans worth so cant give him the norris

i give that award to garrison honestly he has been simply amazing also and was totally unexpected for him to play at the level he has all season so not sure norris is right category for my vote here lol more like most surprising player close to best defernder etc.. just impressed on what gary did more then straw man cause I already thought the straw was as good as he has played lol

p.s. rookie by far is paquette man for me

what a solid season for that kid overall and scoring was way above what i expected of him even a hatty lol

and p.p.s. nesterov doestn impress me scoring i saw that in him since bolt32 told me to watch and could be our second pairing leader as a 3 of future.

what has impressed is instincts and how he challenges at the line

cant wait for coburn to play a year with him to make him that more aggressive in those regards YES

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary

My votes:

Agree with your picks mainly cause it's hard to disagree. If any maybe the Calder, Vlad over Andri might be the only half debatable one.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

My votes:

I agree. Sustr is the Greatest of All Time*

*baby giraffes to play in the NHL

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

My votes:

Pretty hard not to agree with that list. The Calder award could go to Namestnikov or Drouin too but others are pretty clear choices.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Going beyond awards, I think our top 5 players this season were.....

1. Tyler Johnson
2. Ondrej Palat
3. Anton Stralman
4. Nikita Kucherov
5. Ryan Callahan

HM: Boyle, Garrison

I think all these guys have met or exceeded expectations for everyone. Stamkos ended up with over 40 goals which by means is no slump, and he got better towards the end of the season, but his numbers were down. Bishop took a step back this season, but still was good, and I said with the upgrade in D, Bish did not need to perform like he did last season to get the same results.

I really can't be too dissappointed with Stamkos, think the injury set him back this season, and Coop changing his linemates, which was ridiculous. PP also going dormant did not help.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
this will probably get yelled upon but i was sure of stralmans worth so cant give him the norris

i give that award to garrison honestly he has been simply amazing also and was totally unexpected for him to play at the level he has all season so not sure norris is right category for my vote here lol more like most surprising player close to best defernder etc.. just impressed on what gary did more then straw man cause I already thought the straw was as good as he has played lol

p.s. rookie by far is paquette man for me

what a solid season for that kid overall and scoring was way above what i expected of him even a hatty lol

and p.p.s. nesterov doestn impress me scoring i saw that in him since bolt32 told me to watch and could be our second pairing leader as a 3 of future.

what has impressed is instincts and how he challenges at the line

cant wait for coburn to play a year with him to make him that more aggressive in those regards YES

Thanks for the praise bud. Honestly I don't really know much about the new kids coming into Syracuse as much as I did the previous regime. Haven't bothered to scout the last couple of years. I think I will make a point of it come this Rookie Camp.

I actually would have to give the Team Norris to Stralman. While I love me some Garrison, and his ugly ass has been a good surprise, just the impact that Strals had on our defense.....I shudder to think what it would look like without him. :amazed:

My votes:
Hart: TKO line. I'm giving it to each of the three. When they are out there on the ice, the only time the other team touches the puck is when they want them too. It is amazing to watch and completely changes the dynamic of the games.
Calder: Drouin. Once Cooper takes the leash off and pairs him with Stamkos, watch out. Kid is just learning how to be a grinder and still is putting up stupid points in that role.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the praise bud. Honestly I don't really know much about the new kids coming into Syracuse as much as I did the previous regime. Haven't bothered to scout the last couple of years. I think I will make a point of it come this Rookie Camp.

I actually would have to give the Team Norris to Stralman. While I love me some Garrison, and his ugly ass has been a good surprise, just the impact that Strals had on our defense.....I shudder to think what it would look like without him. :amazed:

My votes:
Hart: TKO line. I'm giving it to each of the three. When they are out there on the ice, the only time the other team touches the puck is when they want them too. It is amazing to watch and completely changes the dynamic of the games.
Calder: Drouin. Once Cooper takes the leash off and pairs him with Stamkos, watch out. Kid is just learning how to be a grinder and still is putting up stupid points in that role.

well when we drafted him you said he had the offense and would bring that part of it

i know you were off on barbs so far but you had nestea pegged

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think the best defender all season actually was Garrison and not Stralman. Stralman was money the first 50 games but had some awful moments down the stretch, Garrison was just consistent the whole season till he got hurt.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
I think the best defender all season actually was Garrison and not Stralman. Stralman was money the first 50 games but had some awful moments down the stretch, Garrison was just consistent the whole season till he got hurt.

Agree, and he spent a lot of time on his weak side. I'm sure he's he's had some mistakes but I can't remember any. Rock solid D all year

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
My votes:
Hart: Evgeni Nabokov
Norris: Mark Barberio
Vezina: Me
Selke: Steven Stamkos
Calder: Evgeni Nabokov

Most Improved: Evgeni Nabokov
Best Call Up: Me
Goat Award: Brian Lee

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
On a serious note:
Calder: Drouin

Best Call Up: Me (Vasilevskiy)
Goat Award: Brett Connolly

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I would say Garrison was the most consistent dman and very solid but I'd still vote Stralman as the most important player on D.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
This is just our picks specifically and only for Tampa for the season not the whole league.

Yea I know, just was shocked when I looked it over a few days ago. We have too much of a solid all around team for any single guy to consistently stand out I suppose.

My list
Hart: Johnson
Norris: Stralman
Vezina: Bishop
Selke: Palat
Calder: Tough choice here.

Best Call Up: Namestnikov
Goat Award: Couldn't place anyone in particular.

Last edited:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Yea I know, just was shocked when I looked it over a few days ago. We have too much of a solid all around team for any single guy to consistently stand out I suppose.

That is true. You can look at the 2004 season and see all the hardware that was obtained that year from Lightning players and even Torts. This year you could make a case for some of the guys to maybe be nominated but none would win. Yet the success of the team this year as a whole is in some ways better than the 04 team and that speaks to the collective hive mind they seem to have had this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That is true. You can look at the 2004 season and see all the hardware that was obtained that year from Lightning players and even Torts. This year you could make a case for some of the guys to maybe be nominated but none would win. Yet the success of the team this year as a whole is in some ways better than the 04 team and that speaks to the collective hive mind they seem to have had this year.

A lot of that is Coop too. If Tyler Johnson averaged 21-22 minutes per night, he might well be in the Hart discussion right now. But it's pretty clear that Cooper likes to keep minutes under control.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A lot of that is Coop too. If Tyler Johnson averaged 21-22 minutes per night, he might well be in the Hart discussion right now. But it's pretty clear that Cooper likes to keep minutes under control.

Those mins went to Flip this season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Those mins went to Flip this season.

Mainly because Flip stuck with the 1st PP unit all year. But even Flip's minutes were down a fair bit from last year, when he averaged about 20. No forward on this year's team got 20 per night, nor did they really get near it. Stammer led the way with 19:22.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad