Tampa Bay: Are we witnessing the best roster in the cap era?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
2013 Blackhawks. Too bad we didn't get a full season of that team but they were incredible.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It's an excellent roster, and maybe if they win a cup the answer to this question is "yes".

But currently, as many have already mentioned, this honor goes to the 2010 Blackhawks, who had Keith, Campbell, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson on defense to go along with Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Versteeg, and Ladd up front - and of course Dustin Byfuglien, who played both defense/LW that year.

Pretty much this. Until Tampa wins something, they're just a loaded team, like SJ during the mid 2000's.

Reactions: shadow1

TheTang58

Nov 30, 2018
Not gonna lie. I lost alot of respect for the Bolts last year when they got pushed around by the Caps. Great on paper but they're soft. Until they win a cup they're also rans.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
They are pretty deep. But I still could give two ****s about small market teams. Wake me up when you want to talk about the big boys club.
I00NEfz.gif

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
This is great and all but the Caps destroyed us. We've had a lot of behind the scenes changes. We'll see. Caps are kings of the mountain.

We will try real hard to unseat them.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Or St. Louis or Calgary.

Because so many things can happen any given year. So many guys can have years outta nowhere. Guys can regress like crazy outta nowhere. People get injured. Some don't get injured. Every year there's a team no one really saw coming making a deep run. Every year the team everyone expects to win doesn't win. All these things that happen in pro sports that no amount of statistics can quantify, yes I truly believe everyone has the same odds to start the season.
Lol ok, I hope you don't gamble.

Reactions: 13 others

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's an excellent roster, and maybe if they win a cup the answer to this question is "yes".

But currently, as many have already mentioned, this honor goes to the 2010 Blackhawks, who had Keith, Campbell, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson on defense to go along with Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Versteeg, and Ladd up front - and of course Dustin Byfuglien, who played both defense/LW that year.

That honour doesnt go to the 2010 Hawks. They finished third in the regular season and 4th in ROW. They were third in GF and 5th in GA, their PP was 16th, PK was 16th. The 08 wings were a lot more statistically dominant than that. The 08 wings were statistically the most dominant. Pretty sure theyre the highest corsi of a team post 04-05 lockout, 1st in GA, 3rd in GF, 3rd on the PP, 8th on the PK, 1st on faceoffs, won the presidents trophy unlike Chicago and won the cup.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
yes I truly believe everyone has the same odds to start the season

I really doubt that it is true, if really you would won on a sport betting platform at the start of the next season the chance to choose who you think will be the next winner Stanley cup winner, 1 million dollars if you are right.

You would choose the team with the first letter in the alphabet or any that pop up the first without any hesitation, any thinking, without looking at the betting odds, team strength from last season with taking roster change into consideration, because all NHL teams are exactly equal in how good they are with the exact same chance to win, it is purely a dice roll ?

It is just incredible luck that most of the stanley cups in the last 10 year's were won by the same teams (Pens, Hawks, Kings), when the Islanders won 19 series in a row, no one could have predicted early 81-82 they were a cup favorite, all the 81-82 teams were equals in there chance to win the cups.

All the actuaire/expert, involved into doing this:
Stanley Cup Winner Betting Odds | Ice Hockey
NHL odds: Blackhawks still Stanley Cup favorites as season nears

Are much better than random every year from pure luck ?

Look at the history of odds maker before the season start and look at who end up winning the cups, you will see that the cup winners was in the top 15 favorite much more often than in the bottom 15, how do you explain that ?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If the Leafs won the TBL game, one in which they dominated the game:

TBL 35GP 25-8-2 = 52 points
TOR 34GP 23-9-2 = 48 points

*cough*

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
It's going to be ridiculous when they get Erik Karlsson. I'm never trading Vasilevskiy from my fantasy team.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The last 3 years Tampa has made the playoffs they’ve lost in the finals to Chicago, lost in game 7 to Pittsburgh in the conference finals who eventually won the cup and lost in game 7 of the conference finals to Washington who won the cup...

I’d hardly call them “not built for the playoffs” last year was the only year they were favoured in any of those series.

We've done it all but win a cup. Which sucks because we have a good enough roster to do it but a cup is hard to win. I'll say this though these playoff runs have been exciting! Very entertaining and has provided me with some great memories. Would be real disappointed if they don't win a cup with this group. I've seen them win a cup before so it's not like I need to see them do it but I want to see this Lightning team do it. Would be a real shame if they didn't. Great group of guys.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Tampa is the cream of the crop. But Toronto and a Healthy Bruins, Caps team could give them a run for their money.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I really thought Toronto would have this title but Tampa Bay is definitely on a level of their own and changed my opinion. Unfortunate for Toronto because I think Tampa will beat them in the playoffs . New Chicago and LA

Give us time. I put my money on the Bolts as well, great damn team, and I think they will win it all.

They have been good for a while, we are only starting up in Leafland. Or drafts are only starting to come around, we have prospects who will be graduating to the big club soon, and with the emergence of Kappy and Johnsson, plus Willy getting up to speed, it will only get better.

But we are not there yet, We have another Dubas draft, plus a season of Sandin and Lily to get through once they get here, and we will have to properly capitalize on assets (like Tampa) which will be an ongoing process.... but like I said, we are just becoming a "good" not great team, more time needed.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Cringe is being a fan of a club that hasn't won a playoff round in 15 years and being proud of it. Now that's embarrassing.

If that team didn’t exsist, neither would the Tampa Bay Lightning. Embarrassing.

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Cringe is being a fan of a club that hasn't won a playoff round in 15 years and being proud of it. Now that's embarrassing.

I am a Leaf fan, I am not proud of how our historic franchise has been mismanaged in the past.

It's not funny at all

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe the Hawks? They did it with the grandfathered in sweetheart Hossa and Keith deals though

Kinda the same way Tampa can add exceptional value on contracts in a tax friendly state. (Kuch, Macd, Stammer, Hedman, etc.) are all at least 2-3 million more in almost all markets. The fact that it was STILL possible for you to add EK was insane, and not at all parity.

I would not be surprised if Point signed for 8m per.

I still think the Cap should be after taxes are considered.

Advantages are Advantages (mind you it's not as big as some make it out to be. Most players have good accountants, play out of state games, and find loopholes to ease things, but dollar to cap, Tampa can spread it around more)

However, it is a amazingly well built team regardless

P.S I am a fan of the Bolts, great to watch, but am I salty about the value you can have on contracts?... very salty lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Stamper

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
I really doubt that it is true, if really you would won on a sport betting platform at the start of the next season the chance to choose who you think will be the next winner Stanley cup winner, 1 million dollars if you are right.

You would choose the team with the first letter in the alphabet or any that pop up the first without any hesitation, any thinking, without looking at the betting odds, team strength from last season with taking roster change into consideration, because all NHL teams are exactly equal in how good they are with the exact same chance to win, it is purely a dice roll ?

It is just incredible luck that most of the stanley cups in the last 10 year's were won by the same teams (Pens, Hawks, Kings), when the Islanders won 19 series in a row, no one could have predicted early 81-82 they were a cup favorite, all the 81-82 teams were equals in there chance to win the cups.

All the actuaire/expert, involved into doing this:
Stanley Cup Winner Betting Odds | Ice Hockey
NHL odds: Blackhawks still Stanley Cup favorites as season nears

Are much better than random every year from pure luck ?

Look at the history of odds maker before the season start and look at who end up winning the cups, you will see that the cup winners was in the top 15 favorite much more often than in the bottom 15, how do you explain that ?
I refuse to believe Chicago lucked into three cups in six? Years. To rephrase. I don't believe any team "lucks" into a Stanley Cup. To say a team got lucky because they either had better bounces, more timely saves, a herculean effort, or that they had an easier path to the cup than say the president's trophy winner who got bounced in the first round by an 8th seed who "really didn't have as good a chance to win the cup because stats on paper", is just someone coming up with excuses and refusing to man up and say the better team won. The rest is bullshit. That's what makes sports to awesome. You can try and compartmentalize the game, but it's always going to throw a curve ball at you and f*** your stats and plans all to hell.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->