Tampa Bay: Are we witnessing the best roster in the cap era?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
They are very good, but hard to say the best.

On paper I think the 07-08 Pens, Presidents trophy Capitals team, and 08-09 Red Wings (even though no three of those teams won) had stacked rosters that couldnt get it done for one reason or another.

Then you have 2010 Bhawks

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
they do have a crazy roster on paper. two #1 dmen, two lines that could be top lines on most teams. solid depth.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
2010 Blackhawks are the best team on paper, I don't think there's any denying that. There were guys on that team who were pretty much depth players before becoming stars on other franchises.

We're way up there though, for sure.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
It's an excellent roster, and maybe if they win a cup the answer to this question is "yes".

But currently, as many have already mentioned, this honor goes to the 2010 Blackhawks, who had Keith, Campbell, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson on defense to go along with Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Versteeg, and Ladd up front - and of course Dustin Byfuglien, who played both defense/LW that year.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Brandon Saad - Jonathan Toews - Marian Hossa
Kris Versteeg - Brad Richards - Patrick Kane
Patrick Sharp - Antoinne Vermette - Teuvo Teravainen
Andrew Shaw - Marcus Kruger - Michael Frolik

Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook
Johnny Oduya - Niklas Hjalmarsson
Kimmo Timmonen - David Runblad

Corey Crawford
Scott Darling

Oct 18, 2011
Is Tampa Bay the best roster in the Cap era and possibly beyond that?

I believe they definitely have a case for it.

Breaking down the team:

Kucherov: a top 3 winger in the league, no one will argue that. He's consistent and has tons of talent. 90-100 points
Stamkos
: a top sniper, elite talent, has regained form after a hard run of injuries, and is a 80-90 point guy.
Point: an absolute steal for the lightning. Point keeps proving his value over and over and has proven many people wrong. Loves clutch moments which makes him a fan favorite. 70-80 point player.

Hedman: Norris contender every year.

Mcdonagh: was considered a true #1 in his new york days and is back to form now, dominating games.

Vasi: Top 3 goalie, vezina contender.

So far you have 6 elite players on the roster, most of which could easily contend for trophies in any given year.

On top of that though, you have a great compliment, with Stralman, Gourde, Johnson and Sergachev. These guys are all top 6 or top 4 players in the league.

We're 35 games in and Tampa already has a 8 point lead on 2nd, and their pacing for nearly 130 points, clearly on a level of their own.

And with the lightning planning on retaining Point, is this the best cap era team asembled?
I really this is a special group that isn't getting enough love.
2007 Ducks had
Niedermayer
Pronger
Selanne
Getzlaf
Perry
McDonald
Giguere
Pahlsson

That's 3 current 1st ballot HOFers then you have Getzlaf who has a good chance at being one, Andy McDonald at the time was an extremely good 1c and Pahlsson was considered by many as the leagues top defensive forward.

That core was supplemented by Beauchemin, Kunitz, Penner, and another future top goalie Bryzgalov

The only weak spot was the 3rd D pair

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Brandon Saad - Jonathan Toews - Marian Hossa
Kris Versteeg - Brad Richards - Patrick Kane
Patrick Sharp - Antoinne Vermette - Teuvo Teravainen
Andrew Shaw - Marcus Kruger - Michael Frolik

Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook
Johnny Oduya - Niklas Hjalmarsson
Kimmo Timmonen - David Runblad

Corey Crawford
Scott Darling
a lot of those guys werent as good as they are today. also richards and versteeg had like 30 points.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
In any given year the odds of any team winning the cup are 1 in 31. This is the same for every team.
So what you're saying here is that at the beginning of this year you believed that Arizona had just as much chance of winning the cup as Nashville? Or Ottawa and Washington?

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
They’re a great team. But this kind of thinking happens every year. People constantly ask if x team is the greatest. Enjoy their games and see if they win a few cups.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I don't think the Lightning are even the best non cup winning roster on paper.

05-06 Senators were better. Same with the Red Wings.

2011- Canucks as well.

Probably more out there.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think the hawks had the best roster in the cap era. The first cup that roster was absolutely STACKED

Up Front
Patrick Kane
Jonathan Toews
Marian Hossa
Dustin Byfuglien
Patrick Sharp
Dave Bolland
Andrew Ladd
Kris Versteeg
Troy Brouwer
Tomas Kopecky
John Madden
Ben Eager
Bryan Bickell
Colin Fraser
Adam Burish

On Blueline
Duncan Keith
Brent Seabrook
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Brian Campbell
Brent Sopel
Jordan Hendry
Nick Boynton

In Net
Niemi
Huet

2010 depth at forward was insane but the G depth and bottom pairing depth was not great. 2013 Hawks had better D depth and 2015 Hawks were stacked in net

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I think the playoffs are pretty luck based to be honest. Good teams lose in the playoffs all the time. Look at Washington or the Sharks for example

Teams don't become dynasties for winning a lot of President's trophies. To be the best you have to win the cup.

As for OP, the 2010 Blackhawks are the best post cap team. Tampa has to win the cup before they even enter the conversation.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Is Tampa Bay the best roster in the Cap era and possibly beyond that?

I believe they definitely have a case for it.

Breaking down the team:

Kucherov: a top 3 winger in the league, no one will argue that. He's consistent and has tons of talent. 90-100 points
Stamkos
: a top sniper, elite talent, has regained form after a hard run of injuries, and is a 80-90 point guy.
Point: an absolute steal for the lightning. Point keeps proving his value over and over and has proven many people wrong. Loves clutch moments which makes him a fan favorite. 70-80 point player.

Hedman: Norris contender every year.

Mcdonagh: was considered a true #1 in his new york days and is back to form now, dominating games.

Vasi: Top 3 goalie, vezina contender.

So far you have 6 elite players on the roster, most of which could easily contend for trophies in any given year.

On top of that though, you have a great compliment, with Stralman, Gourde, Johnson and Sergachev. These guys are all top 6 or top 4 players in the league.

We're 35 games in and Tampa already has a 8 point lead on 2nd, and their pacing for nearly 130 points, clearly on a level of their own.

And with the lightning planning on retaining Point, is this the best cap era team asembled?
I really this is a special group that isn't getting enough love.

Ovechkin > Kucherov
Backstrom > Stamkos
Kuznetsov > Point

Carlson = Hedman
Niskanen < McDonagh

Holtby > Vasilevski

Not even the best roster this year, let alone the cap era which had 2010 Blackhawks and 2009 Wings lol

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Ovechkin > Kucherov
Backstrom > Stamkos
Kuznetsov > Point

Carlson = Hedman
Niskanen < McDonagh

Holtby > Vasilevski

Not even the best roster this year, let alone the cap era which had 2010 Blackhawks and 2009 Wings lol

Lol, nice try, fan boy.

More like:

Kucherov > Ovechkin
Backstrom = Stamkos
Kuznetsov = Point

Hedman > Carlson
McDonagh > Niskanen

Vasilevski > Holtby

The Washington players are older, and in the case of Holtby and Carlson, they have been overrated in the past two years.

As for the OP, this Tampa Bay team is heavily stacked at all positions. I disagree with those who say Chicago had a better roster on paper. They did not. I dare someone to come up with another team that can compare to this Tampa team and show us how by comparing their two rosters.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Lol, nice try, fan boy.

More like:

Kucherov > Ovechkin
Backstrom = Stamkos
Kuznetsov = Point

Hedman > Carlson
McDonagh > Niskanen

Vasilevski > Holtby

The Washington players are older, and in the case of Holtby and Carlson, they have been overrated in the past two years.

Sorry I was comparing them by proven hockey ability not age or backgammon skill or whatever you're looking at.

But yeah Kucherov is better than the reigning Conn Smythe winner who has 29 goals in 30 games, good call. Maybe he's so good teams won't hit him this year and cause him to turn into a wet noodle in the playoffs again. And Point as good as the guy who just scored the most playoff points since Malkin in 2009 because he's having a good season in a year where 50 guys are PPG.

FYI Hedman is far more overrated than Carlson can ever hope to be.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
They are pretty deep. But I still could give two shits about small market teams. Wake me up when you want to talk about the big boys club.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not as dominant regular season team as the 2008 red wings and those wings won the cup as well so no. Across the board tha Detroit team dominated basically every stat, especially defensively

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
So what you're saying here is that at the beginning of this year you believed that Arizona had just as much chance of winning the cup as Nashville? Or Ottawa and Washington?
Or St. Louis or Calgary.

Because so many things can happen any given year. So many guys can have years outta nowhere. Guys can regress like crazy outta nowhere. People get injured. Some don't get injured. Every year there's a team no one really saw coming making a deep run. Every year the team everyone expects to win doesn't win. All these things that happen in pro sports that no amount of statistics can quantify, yes I truly believe everyone has the same odds to start the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad