Tamlowe's trades THIS season so far...

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
How do you guys feel about them so far? This isn't about all the bonehead moves they have or haven't made in the past, but simply the ones we've seen so far this year. Has management faired a little better than in the past?

So far we have:

3rd round pick to Dallas for Mark Fistric

2014 4th round pick (3rd if we make playoffs) to Toronto for Mike Brown

Prospect Tobias Rieder to Phoenix for prospect Kale Kessy

We can't do much evaluating on the Rieder/Kessy trade just yet, but so far I approve of the Fistric and Brown acquisitions. We've gotten a bit tougher and had some energy injected in to the line up though Fistrics heavy hitting and Browns intensity. These certainly aren't trades that will make or break the franchise but to me they at least seem like a step in the right direction.

Thoughts? Personally I still desperately want to see new management, but if this had been Tambo and Lowe's first year running the team then I would be ok with what they've done so far. That is assuming the don't screw up the Whitney or potential Hemsky deals at the deadline.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
In a vacuum both of the trades involving NHLers is fine. Tambo has made a few good trades for bottom pair/4th line guys in his career.

Outside of a vacuum (I know, I'm sorry, not the intention of the thread) the lack of ever having brought in a legitimate top 4 d-man or top 6 forward that wasn't a downgrade on what we already had is really quite frightening.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I, along with most Oiler fans, love Fistric and Brown.

I really like the Kessy/Rieder trade too. With guys like Cornet, Arcobello, and Rajala stepping up in OKC, they have enough guys with Rieder's skill set.

Kessy is that Boston/LA type big, tough player that goon it up and also play a regular shift.

I find it strange that they've carried 8 D all year. When was the last time that Peckham played? If you're not going to play him, trade him. Potter's played a lot lately and, while he's not my favorite Oiler, I have to admit that he's playing pretty well lately.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Fistric and Brown are good trades for the NHL club now, both addressed needs the team has had for a while now, without really giving up all that much.

The Kessy/Rieder trade, we'll have to wait and see. If nothing else, Tamblowe got rid of something we had too much of and brought in something we don't have much of. The value remains to be seen.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Despite the external pressure to "win now", Tambellini has patiently done the right thing for a rebuild, allowing this young team to grow and develop together without moving any of the central pieces. Tambellini's patience in the long run will make this team far better for far longer than short-term gain moves. I know he takes a lot of criticism for not bringing in veteran players to fill holes, but he has to be credited with sticking to the plan of building through the draft, which is what he's said he'd do. I don't know that I could have had his patience if my job was on the line, sitting in the GM chair of a hockey-crazed city. Guy's got big shoulders, and for that he has to be given some credit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad