Tambellini Traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
The Spokane Chiefs traded the playing rights to 19 year old forward Jeff Tambellini (Port Moody, BC) to the Kelowna Rockets for a 6th round draft pick in the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft and a conditional second round draft pick in the 2004 or 2005 WHL Bantam Draft.

Didn't somebody post about a week ago saying he had connections that told him Tambellini would be traded to the Rockets? Well, good call on that one.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
ya....Macleafs or something like that....I've only seen him post on the WHL board...but hey, he said that Tamby was gonna leave Michigan for the Rockets....well, the trade has now occured, and Tamby has apparently informed the team that he'll have a decision sometime tomorrow....

TWS

Jul 8, 2002
Visit site
Canadian Chris said:
ya....Macleafs or something like that....I've only seen him post on the WHL board...but hey, he said that Tamby was gonna leave Michigan for the Rockets....well, the trade has now occured, and Tamby has apparently informed the team that he'll have a decision sometime tomorrow....
So...has there been any news about him playing for Kelowna? I'm getting a little impatient. My opinion is that he will remain at Michigan and get his degree because (from what I have heard) he wants to go into management after his playing days are over.

leafaholix*

Wasn't Mike Comrie the last dude to move from NCAA to WHL during the season?

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Kenadyan said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :cry:

Makes sense to me. With the CBA who knows how much a rookie would be able to make in his first contract. If he does make the jump he is forcing the Kings to "show him the money."

My bet is that they wanted him to stay in school for another year he simply is not ready for the NHL.

Kings Fanatic

Sep 15, 2003
Does this affect his ties to the Kings org? Is this setting the stage for the Van Ryn loophole? I'm not too clear on any of it so if someone could clear it up for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Funkymoses

go pierre hedin said:
Wasn't Mike Comrie the last dude to move from NCAA to WHL during the season?

No, he left after his sophomore year. He signed with Edmonton midway through that WHL season, which is where that confusion may arise. MSU's Duncan Keith left for Kelowna in the middle of last year, though.

Yes, Richmond did leave UM in the offseason to go to London in the OHL.

I don't think Tambellini is in a position to take advantage of the loophole, since he would have to play in the WHL for a full year (I believe) before he became a UFA, at which point the CBA will have expired... I don't know if he would become a UFA if there's no CBA in place. And who knows what the CBA will look like afterwards.

As for whether he'll go, apparently he'll make a decision today. Michigan plays OSU at 7:30 so we'll know pretty soon. I'll know at about 7:15, since I'm going. Every article about him has stressed his intention to get his degree, but who knows anymore. I don't think there's any discontent with his situation at UM... he gets tons of ice time and seems generally happy. I don't know what Kelowna can offer except being closer to home.

I'd also like to register my disgust with this tactic. Actively recruiting someone who's committed to play elsewhere is bad enough in the offseason but during the year, come on. If a player's looking to leave because he's unhappy, fine, but I don't think that's the case here.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Mizral said:
The Van Ryn loophole has been closed, at least that's my understanding of it. Tambellini no doubt will remain Kings property.

Not that I know of. I think the OHL instituted a rule that you couldn't be a rookie 20 year old to help eliminate it but I don't recall the WHL doing anything similar.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Funkymoses said:
I don't think Tambellini is in a position to take advantage of the loophole, since he would have to play in the WHL for a full year (I believe) before he became a UFA, at which point the CBA will have expired... I don't know if he would become a UFA if there's no CBA in place. And who knows what the CBA will look like afterwards.

Sort of right and sort of wrong. How much he plays in the WHL is irrelevant as far as I know, as soon as he plays in junior his status is different from college players.

What does matter is that this occurs two years after he's drafted so he wouldn't become UFA until summer of 05 but as you say, the CBA will have expired before then. BUT since he was drafted under the current CBA the rules may still apply.

Tricky question for sure.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hey Tambellin can come and play for my Kelowna Rockets any time he wants...

I also think since the Memorial Cup will be played here will play a big part in Jeff's decision to leave College for the WHL ..

With Kelowna being the Host team and an automatic berth in the tourney I can see why that would be enticing NO DOUBT.....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Sort of right and sort of wrong. How much he plays in the WHL is irrelevant as far as I know, as soon as he plays in junior his status is different from college players.

What does matter is that this occurs two years after he's drafted so he wouldn't become UFA until summer of 05 but as you say, the CBA will have expired before then. BUT since he was drafted under the current CBA the rules may still apply.

Tricky question for sure.

I agree ...I think Mizral is wrong...I have never heard of IF YOU WANT TO CALL IT A LOOP HOLE ...being changed in the WHL regarding players that leave College...

New CBA leaves things open for discussion...

also there has never been any report that I have read that Tambellini is not happy being drafted by the Kings and that the reason for joining the WHL is for avoiding playing for them or making more money... Jeff Dad is in Vancouver and Kelowna is just a 4 hour drive away so maybe he just wants to be closer to Mom and Dad and not looking for a loop hole anyways...

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think the loop hole still exists in the WHL right now. Tambellini may be trying to get himself a nice fat contract before the possible lockout next year. Who knows what rookie contracts will look like after the lockout, certainly they will be less lucrative then they are right now.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
AJ1982 said:
I think the loop hole still exists in the WHL right now. Tambellini may be trying to get himself a nice fat contract before the possible lockout next year. Who knows what rookie contracts will look like after the lockout, certainly they will be less lucrative then they are right now.

I'm assuming that Tamby is staying since there's been no mention/press releases to say otherwise and Michigan is currently playing Ohio State.

I think it was a smart attempt by Kelowna to grab him. Another way to look at it is that Tamby has struggled somewhat offensively this season with just 9 goals and 3 assists thus far. If he jumped to the WHL and played against younger kids, he could probably light the league up and try to use that as bargaining leverage, much like Mike Comrie tore up the WHL. Just a thought.

I have no idea what the status of the Van Ryn Loophole is as relates to the OHL. A few years ago Merrimack's Anthony Aquino challenged the closure in court and won his case to play in the OHL. Mike Cammalleri also joined the lawsuit when he left Michigan after his junior year. Cammalleri wanted to jump to the OHL to use the loophole for leverage. the LA Kings figured they would win their case, so they tossed the money his way and he withdrew from the suit.

The OHL then appealed the decision and a federal judge issued an injunction preventing Aquino from playing in the league until the appeal was resolved. That's the last I ever heard of the case...no idea what the outcome was.

Saprykin Fan

Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
wow

i know for a fact that tambellini wil not leave college!!!!!!!!!!!! i got inside info from the kings!!!!!!!!!!! they like to develop there players in the NCAA, but since hes still very young there is a 10% chance but i highly doubt it, I have connections with kelowna since im protected by them, and my brother being drafted by LA, both sides say it is very unlikely to happen!!!!!!!!!!

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Saprykin Fan said:
i know for a fact that tambellini wil not leave college!!!!!!!!!!!! i got inside info from the kings!!!!!!!!!!! they like to develop there players in the NCAA, but since hes still very young there is a 10% chance but i highly doubt it, I have connections with kelowna since im protected by them, and my brother being drafted by LA, both sides say it is very unlikely to happen!!!!!!!!!!

Your brother is Richard Petiot, right? No offense, but he's a lot more of a long-term prospect than Tambellini is. I can't see LA being upset at Tambellini getting to play with a team that'll likely have a long playoff run, and is guaranteed a spot in the Memorial Cup. Doesn't look like it'll happen now, but it would've been a great experience for him.

Saprykin Fan

Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
long term

not trying to be biast but he was suppose to go top 2 rounds, but nj said they were goin to pick him and he dropped, and probably will sign next year and be wearing a kings jersey, from what the kings staff has told him, he doesnt put up the points but plays against all the other teams top lines, neways an ex pheonix scout told him this year,k why are you still playing in this league you should be in teh NHL as a 5-6 defencmen this year, and in 3-4 years 2-3 man and it will be your max probably, he said he could beat any dman off the kings roster for callups right now, with the likes of grebeshkov,muir,gleason and such and such andy murray keeps talkin about how he was a steal, ask anyone on teh kings board, but neway enough u guys probably think im biased but ya lol tambelinni will not be going to kelowna, i decided to develop this year in lower ranks cause ther hosting the cup adn they wouldnt gurantee me lots of ice time so they thought it would be best to develop where i will get playing time. pm me if u have any questions, i have some inside info but soem i cannot release though, sorry

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Funkymoses said:
Yeah, because playing at Michigan is a surefire way to doom yourself. No one who plays there ever has any NHL success.

I was talking about the playoffs. Kelowna and Michigan both made it to their national championship tournament last year, but Kelowna played 23 post-season games to Michigan's 7. If both repeated that performance this year, Tambellini would play twice as many games between now and the end of the year if he were in the WHL. Which sounds like better preparation for the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->