Tal's Hill Lives!

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Remember the deal when the Houston Astros decided to get rid of Tal's Hill in centerfield for the 2016 season? Consider that plan deep sixed.

attachment.php

If you're going to get rid of the hill, at least keep the 330+ centerfield wall. Moving the centerfield wall in to 409 feet as the plans were was going to make a bandbox that Minute Maid Park already is even more of a hitter's friendly box. I like the decision, so far.

Last edited:

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Sounds like the plan is still going to eventually happen, just not doing it this offseason.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They are playing cricket in Houston? Lol.

I like the hill. For all the gripe can you even think of 10 balls hit there? Hazard? Maybe but its also not like there's a ball hit there every day, week, month or even year. I can't even recall the last time I've seen one.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They are playing cricket in Houston? Lol.

I like the hill. For all the gripe can you even think of 10 balls hit there? Hazard? Maybe but its also not like there's a ball hit there every day, week, month or even year. I can't even recall the last time I've seen one.
Earlier this year

[Yt]FIVNZjcHb8I[/MEDIA]

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
So once. The point I was going for is its not something that comes into play much. Part of it is the distance. I would bet most MLB homers don't happen in Center field. Not just because you have two other parts of the park but its generally the deepest part of the park. Its also 436ft. Most homers are under that distance by a fair amount.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's happened more than once. You said you couldn't recall the last time it happened and I showed you it happened at least once this year.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
That thing is an abomination.

A hill going upward at 30 degrees in the middle of the outfield IN PLAY is bad enough as it is. A flagpole on top of that? It's a miracle no one has gotten seriously injured. I would seriously like to know who from Major League Baseball decided that having a flagpole existing in the middle of fair territory should be allowed. Because obviously someone had to have approved that stadium for major league play.

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
I like Tal's Hill too. I think it is one of the many things that makes baseball completely unique and amazing. The ability to tailor your own field, in certain ways to your own liking or needs. It isn't like the flag pole is in middle of the hill or anything. Or like the hill is something that is so steep you have to crawl up it. There have been other stadiums that have had flagpoles that have been in play. Detroit's Comerica Park used to have the flagpole in play, as well as old Tiger's Stadium if I remember correctly. At one time Fenway Park had a hill in left, and old Yankee Stadium used to have monument park in play. It's just something that makes baseball unique. That beins said if my center fielder got hurt because of the hill, I wouldn't be happy. But as a fan I appreciate it's quirkiness and just think it would be sad to have to give up too much of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad