Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Tie Domi spoke to Joe Lapointe of the NYT yesterday

"If these guys don't get a deal done, there's going to have to be new faces in there," Domi said, referring to Commissioner Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow, the executive director of the union. "There's a lot of ego, and they don't want to put their pride aside. The fight is over. These two guys have got to get a deal done. They'd better, or they won't be around too long."

"You need trust," Domi said by phone while on his way to Barcelona, Spain, where he will be watching a Formula One race this weekend. "I don't know if these two guys at the top can get this done. That's the bottom line."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/05/s...91111-/Ah82BpqxzFSRJfW1FeJ9g&pagewanted=print

For once,Tie is making sense

Does anyone else get the feeling we will in the same boat this fall?Waiting the NHL and NHLPA to cut a deal.I do :cry:

SENSible1*

RangerBoy said:
Tie Domi spoke to Joe Lapointe of the NYT yesterday

"If these guys don't get a deal done, there's going to have to be new faces in there," Domi said, referring to Commissioner Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow, the executive director of the union. "There's a lot of ego, and they don't want to put their pride aside. The fight is over. These two guys have got to get a deal done. They'd better, or they won't be around too long."

"You need trust," Domi said by phone while on his way to Barcelona, Spain, where he will be watching a Formula One race this weekend. "I don't know if these two guys at the top can get this done. That's the bottom line."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/05/s...91111-/Ah82BpqxzFSRJfW1FeJ9g&pagewanted=print

For once,Tie is making sense

Does anyone else get the feeling we will in the same boat this fall?Waiting the NHL and NHLPA to cut a deal.I do :cry:

We won't be in the same boat if Domi's view is shared by enough players. Goody will be shown the door long before that happens.

X0ssbar

Nothing really new here but I thought this was another interesting part of the article:

"According to a union negotiator, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of bargaining, the union would accept a payroll range of $30 million to $50 million per team in a package that would include a luxury tax for high-spending teams and significant revenue-sharing to help low-income franchises."

There is definitely light (more like a flashlight) at the end of the tunnel IMO. If these clowns can negotiate and settle on a salary range in the next 6 meetings then I think this flashlight turns into a ray of sunshine really quick.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
It sounds and seems that more than anything negotiations are stale.

Every other league has a significant revenue sharing system, but the NHL. Every other league has a salary cap/luxury tax, but the NHL. Both should (and hopefully will) be implemented.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
I am waiting for the goon squad to come out and say "Domi was taken out of context" "That's not what he meant to say." "He wasn't talking about our leadership, he was only talking about the owners leadership."

With other players i would agree with you. But not Tie Domi, he really doesn't give a crap what other think.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Top Shelf said:
There is definitely light (more like a flashlight) at the end of the tunnel IMO. If these clowns can negotiate and settle on a salary range in the next 6 meetings then I think this flashlight turns into a ray of sunshine really quick.

More of a glow puck, or glow bug...

Pretty harsh words, maybe thats what we need.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sad state of affairs when an idiot like Domi comes off as the one making the most sense!

NYIsles1*

Top Shelf said:
Nothing really new here but I thought this was another interesting part of the article:

"According to a union negotiator, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of bargaining, the union would accept a payroll range of $30 million to $50 million per team in a package that would include a luxury tax for high-spending teams and significant revenue-sharing to help low-income franchises."

Seems more like a pen-light.

Goodenow's last reported offer was 49m in Feb with the two exemptions that could make it 53.9m. It's nice of Goodenow to include luxury taxes and demand more revenue sharing among teams but those are all things the owners pay.

The owners reluctantly offered 42.5 million in Feburary and this was with the season (and some revenue to be made) still available. Why are they going to accept fifty million as a cap when the avg team payroll in 2003-04 was 41m and 19 teams still lost money operating?

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Top Shelf said:

That's not a flashlight...it's a train. Both sides too stuborn to avoid being hit by it either.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Train!

Hoss said:
That's not a flashlight...it's a train. Both sides too stuborn to avoid being hit by it either.

yup, and its a 50 car freight train making speed.

WC Handy*

New faces negotiating for each side would likely have a minimal impact. Regardless of who is in charge they are going to want the same things that Bettman and Goodenow are fighting for. The one possible difference would be a union leader willing to take a vote from its membership to find out what they actually want.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
JWI19 said:
With other players i would agree with you. But not Tie Domi, he really doesn't give a crap what other think.

exactly.. and this is his second interview about this i think. He didnt retract the first one

chiavsfan

It's funny that the one guy who I hated at the beginning of this thing (the asanine statements about sitting forever) is now the one player I am starting to respect. He did kind-of tow the company line, but when he mentioned chaging the leaders, he left it open to both sides

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
ACC1224 said:
Sad state of affairs when an idiot like Domi comes off as the one making the most sense!
Lets see what Stu Grimson, Marty McSorley, Dave Schultz, Tiger Williams have to say on the matter before we see if this has merit ..

The funny part is that Domi himself might have played his last NHL game already as a result of the changing NHL ..

Kidding aside ...If you all remember Leafs owner Larry Tannebaum, along with Tie Domi and Mario Lemieux were mentioned as a group that got that "Save the Season", meeting going by its own little backdoor meetings .

So Domi has been involved from the start and considering that he is employed by Tannenbaum and the Leafs that he might just be used by Leafs Management as it spokesperson since Larry is under a gag order .. Tie's motivation could be a juicy new contract from the leafs for speaking out on the matter and this could be ownership driven and not player driven remarks.

As Tannebaum himself certainly does not care for Bettman or Goodenow at this point of time, as its costing him money not to play.

Bettman after all took on Tannenbaum at the BOG meeting, is trying to force replacement players on him, and make him revenue share against his wishes, while Goodenow is blocking him directly from continuing business.

Last edited:

SENSible1*

The Messenger said:
Lets see what Stu Grimson, Marty McSorley, Dave Schultz, Tiger Williams have to say on the matter before we see if this has merit ..

The funny part is that Domi himself might have played his last NHL game already as a result of the changing NHL ..

Kidding aside ...If you all remember Leafs owner Larry Tannebaum, along with Tie Domi and Mario Lemieux were mentioned as a group that got that "Save the Season", meeting going by its own little backdoor meetings .

So Domi has been involved from the start and considering that he is employed by Tannenbaum and the Leafs that he might just be used by Leafs Management as it spokesperson since Larry is under a gag order .. Tie's motivation could be a juicy new contract from the leafs for speaking out on the matter and this could be ownership driven and not player driven remarks.

As Tannebaum himself certainly does not care for Bettman or Goodenow at this point of time, as its costing him money not to play.

Bettman after all took on Tannenbaum at the BOG meeting, is trying to force replacement players on him, and make him revenue share against his wishes, while Goodenow is blocking him directly from continuing business.

Quite the spin job. Well done.

The Federal Liberals are in desperate need of your services to help explain the sponsorship scandal.

As soon as a player speaks out against Goodenow's leadership the smear campaign begins. Interesting.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
It's funny that the one guy who I hated at the beginning of this thing (the asanine statements about sitting forever) is now the one player I am starting to respect. He did kind-of tow the company line, but when he mentioned chaging the leaders, he left it open to both sides

You don't get paid to sit forever (unless you voluntarily retire). Just a guess here, but I think Domi, like a lot of other players, do not want to lose more salary and, especially for a vet like him, more seasons as his lucrative income only has several more seasons left.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Thunderstruck said:
Quite the spin job. Well done.

As soon as a player speaks out against Goodenow's leadership the smear campaign begins. Interesting.
From TSN Article

Domi, who played parts of 16 seasons with the Leafs, Winnipeg Jets and New York Rangers, added that many of the current concepts the two sides are working at were discussed at a meeting he attended in January with Leafs chairman Larry Tanenbaum, Pittsburgh Penguins player/owner Mario Lemieux, NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin, NHL executive vice president Bill Daly, and NHLPA president Trevor Linden.

"You can only gouge so much and Gary is gouging," Domi said. "It's not a way to have a partnership. Is Gary trying to break the union? I think he is. I think Gary's more to blame than Bob."

In response, the NHL vice president Bernadette Mansur told the Times, "With all due respect to Mr. Domi, this is not his area of expertise."

"We will continue to plan and work very hard with the Players' Association in order to make an agreement to reach a new collective bargaining agreement as soon as possible, so that our players can be back on the ice for the start of the season," Bettman said. "We want them back."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=123910&hubName=nhl
Now not sure if its just me or are Domi comments directed at Bettman or Goodenow here ?

Last edited:

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Now not sure if its just me or are Domi comments directed at Bettman or Goodenow here ?

comments? are directed at both, the comment you highlighted in your short piece of the article... bettman, the fact remains he's speaking his piece on the full spectrum while still toeing the company line.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The Messenger said:
So he is saying one rectum cavity is being more of a rectum cavity than the other. It isn't a matter of blaming one guy or the other, it seems in Tie's eyes it is a matter of degree.

I am sure that makes Goodenow feel all squishy inside.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
NYIsles1 said:
Seems more like a pen-light.

The owners reluctantly offered 42.5 million in Feburary and this was with the season (and some revenue to be made) still available. Why are they going to accept fifty million as a cap when the avg team payroll in 2003-04 was 41m and 19 teams still lost money operating?

Yup. That proposal is likely even worse than what we currently have. You'd have a bunch of teams at the max, and worse, you'd have those teams giving tens of millions of dollars to the lesser teams through luxury taxes and revenue sharing, inflating their payrolls. Net result, well over a billion in salaries still, and more net losses for the league.

A $50 million cap is only useful somewhere near 2012, when the revenues of the league will be near $3 billion.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
slats432 said:
So he is saying one rectum cavity is being more of a rectum cavity than the other. It isn't a matter of blaming one guy or the other, it seems in Tie's eyes it is a matter of degree.

I am sure that makes Goodenow feel all squishy inside.
While I agree he speaks out against both sides .. he paints both with the same brush when he says "egos aside "or "need to get a deal done" .. Those are blanket comments no different then you and I have said here ourselves..

..but there is no confusion who is at the brunt of his tirade here ..

"You can only gouge so much and Gary is gouging," Domi said. "It's not a way to have a partnership. Is Gary trying to break the union? I think he is. I think Gary's more to blame than Bob."

The NHL issuing immediate responses to the comments should be an indication that they felt the heat .. The NHLPA has not issued any statements yet !!

I see nothing in Domi's speech though that gives the indication that "The UNION is disgruntled and Goodenow is going to be replaced any time soon type comments"

Do you ??

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
bo hoo

The Messenger said:
While I agree he speaks out against both sides .. he paints both with the same brush when he says "egos aside "or "need to get a deal done" .. Those are blanket comments no different then you and I have said here ourselves..

..but there is no confusion who is at the brunt of his tirade here ..

The NHL issuing immediate responses to the comments should be an indication that they felt the heat .. The NHLPA has not issued any statements yet !!

I see nothing in Domi's speech though that gives the indication that "The UNION is disgruntled and Goodenow is going to be replaced any time soon type comments"

Do you ??

We're not going to be getting paid like we were!

What do you expect guys to say who are going to get alot less money?

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Schlep Rock said:
It sounds and seems that more than anything negotiations are stale.

Every other league has a significant revenue sharing system, but the NHL. Every other league has a salary cap/luxury tax, but the NHL. Both should (and hopefully will) be implemented.

Ok. I need to say something. Has anyone ever THOUGHT LOGICALLY why the PA wants revenue sharing? Why ANY PA from any league wants revenue sharing.

Heres the answer:

If the lower revenue teams get revenue from outside sources, that enables those lower revenue teams to give more money to the players on their team.

i.e. The players want more money to be shared among the teams so that money can end up in THEIR pockets.

I find it hilarious that ppl are like "lets have revenue sharing" all the time. Sure, it helps. But all revenue sharing equals for players is MORE MONEY... in other words. GREED.

And I, for one, am tired of the player's greed. I'll be happy when the NHL comes back. Revenue sharing or no revenue sharing.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
no13matssundin said:
Ok. I need to say something. Has anyone ever THOUGHT LOGICALLY why the PA wants revenue sharing? Why ANY PA from any league wants revenue sharing.

Heres the answer:

If the lower revenue teams get revenue from outside sources, that enables those lower revenue teams to give more money to the players on their team.

i.e. The players want more money to be shared among the teams so that money can end up in THEIR pockets.

I find it hilarious that ppl are like "lets have revenue sharing" all the time. Sure, it helps. But all revenue sharing equals for players is MORE MONEY... in other words. GREED.

And I, for one, am tired of the player's greed. I'll be happy when the NHL comes back. Revenue sharing or no revenue sharing.

How much does Mats Sundin make again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad