Talking The Avs Ep 8 - “Why do you hate the Avs, Travis?â€

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Not a Yost fan but this was a a good podcast. Don't agree with him on Zadorov but we'll see I guess

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I've listened to this thing three times now.

There was some stuff I was trying to ask him, but he is a lengthy talker, and a good one, so I didn't want to interrupt him too much. I did so a couple of times towards the end of the show. And that part of the show I wasn't too pleased with.

But overall I thought it went good. Hard to go wrong with Yost. He is a great podcaster. That format suits him better than writing IMO.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm only 20 minutes in but the second he said Patrick Weircoch has played "unbelievably well" over the last couple seasons, I lost interest. I mean it's one point, but Patrick Weircoch to me is a 3rd pairing defensemen

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't really like his solutions are guys who are unavailable, either coaches or players. Or just go out and trade for guys without any discussion of the assets it would take. He does point out FAs have to want to sign and such but that's only part of it. Fayne was an interesting suggestion, how is he helping Edmonton right now? And the whole part of Zadorov might be a 4/5 and Grigo needs to be a 40/50 point guy to make the trade a success is a bit of a wild opinion. I mean it's his opinion but if he views the pieces this team has as that it's going to change the conversation pretty much. And he doesn't get into prospects but how this team is building up their defense from within should at least be mentioned. He was pretty dismissive of Beauchemin too. And the whole "you can get by with Varlamov" 20 teams have above dumpster level goaltending, yeah I guess. I get it, it's nice to have an outsider's perspective but it's also tough when they don't have all the details either.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Listened to it at work this morning. Good stuff. I don't agree with everything Yost says about individual players but he makes a lot of good points. I wished there would be more detailed discussion about coaching and systems though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Good stuff. Don't find myself disagreeing with much of what he says. I actually agree with him on Zadorov. The kid has all the physical tools but I just don't see the hockey sense that will elevate him to top pairing status. He'll be a good middle pairing guy for us.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Robin does great work with these.

As for Travis Yost, I feel his analysis is sloppy and he generalizes too much. He says the blue line has improved but then says they should make a splashy move to acquire a defenseman. Unless he can speak of specific trades, hypothetical or otherwise, it's just sloppy to say they should part with assets. It's lazy to say this. Do some research or come up with realistic trades.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Nice, Yost is polarizing lol

One thing about Yost is he'll usually take the **** he gives out, or he would have blocked me on twitter by now.

Definitely don't agree with everything he says here or in the past, but he is the king of hard truth, and sometimes people don't want to hear it.

Thanks Robin, & Travis

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't really like his solutions are guys who are unavailable, either coaches or players. Or just go out and trade for guys without any discussion of the assets it would take. He does point out FAs have to want to sign and such but that's only part of it. Fayne was an interesting suggestion, how is he helping Edmonton right now? And the whole part of Zadorov might be a 4/5 and Grigo needs to be a 40/50 point guy to make the trade a success is a bit of a wild opinion. I mean it's his opinion but if he views the pieces this team has as that it's going to change the conversation pretty much. And he doesn't get into prospects but how this team is building up their defense from within should at least be mentioned. He was pretty dismissive of Beauchemin too. And the whole "you can get by with Varlamov" 20 teams have above dumpster level goaltending, yeah I guess. I get it, it's nice to have an outsider's perspective but it's also tough when they don't have all the details either.

I share the same viewpoints that you do. I feel like Zadorov will be, when at his best, a #2. I don't foresee him being a #4/5 defensemen.

Also, Fayne is, for some reason, not liked much by Todd McLellan even though he's arguably Edmonton's most steady defensemen. Depends what we'd move for him, he's got 2 years after this one left at 3.625M. I don't understand why Edmonton would move him since they need right handed defensemen and he is exactly that, but Chiarelli/McLellan didn't bring him in so maybe.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Didnt agree with everything he said either. Like Zadorov. But when someone talks for an hour you rarely agree with EVERYTHING they say.

He did change his mind on Zadorov from "4-5" to "3-4" though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Didnt agree with everything he said either. Like Zadorov. But when someone talks for an hour you rarely agree with EVERYTHING they say.

He did change his mind on Zadorov from "4-5" to "3-4" though.

One of the reasons I think people don't see huge upside to Zadorov as a #1 is his decision making defensively.

But I personally see that as more of his attitude, than his on ice IQ sometimes lol.

I think he enjoys taking risks and playing on the edge, where it's more difficult for him to think the safe play first. I'd imagine he'll calm down there a little bit with age and maturity.

You can definitely see that he has a high hockey IQ though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
One of the reasons I think people don't see huge upside to Zadorov as a #1 is his decision making defensively.

But I personally see that as more of his attitude, than his on ice IQ sometimes lol.

I think he enjoys taking risks and playing on the edge, where it's more difficult for him to think the safe play first. I'd imagine he'll calm down there a little bit with age and maturity.

You can definitely see that he has a high hockey IQ though.

Not sure I'd agree. For me, his hockey IQ is what holds him back and what will stop him from being considered a #1 or even top pairing defender. Has all the other tools but it takes a certain kind of player to put them all together.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure I'd agree. For me, his hockey IQ is what holds him back and what will stop him from being considered a #1 or even top pairing defender. Has all the other tools but it takes a certain kind of player to put them all together.

McDonagh has IQ issues and he's flying out there. He won't be a #1, but I don't see the issues you see which can't let him play as an average #2.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
To be a defensive stopper you generally have to have a fairly decent hockey IQ. A guy who really didn't have great hockey sense but had size, physicality, and decent-enough ability with the puck (not to mention an absolute cannon of a shot) was Pavel Kubina. I'm not saying Zads is gonna be that guy, but Kubina was always that guy who enjoyed a good career but maybe could've been a star had he possessed a better mental game. I HOPE we see more from Zads but it's way early yet.

McDonagh is probably not the smartest hockey player but I'd say his talent level is higher than Zadorov's.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
To be a defensive stopper you generally have to have a fairly decent hockey IQ. A guy who really didn't have great hockey sense but had size, physicality, and decent-enough ability with the puck (not to mention an absolute cannon of a shot) was Pavel Kubina. I'm not saying Zads is gonna be that guy, but Kubina was always that guy who enjoyed a good career but maybe could've been a star had he possessed a better mental game. I HOPE we see more from Zads but it's way early yet.

McDonagh is probably not the smartest hockey player but I'd say his talent level is higher than Zadorov's.

I wouldn't. Zadorov is very, very talented.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well hell if he's better than McDonagh then Avs are more than set. Unfortunately I don't agree with that assessment at this point but time will tell.

He may not become a better overall defensemen, no, but in terms of pure talent level? Zadorov is off the charts skilled, he simply needs to put it together.

Looking forward to the next podcast, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad