Talking The Avs Ep 18 - Free Agency and Development Camp

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think it's weird, we're getting into that dead space period of time in the off-season. However it still very much feels like we don't have a damn clue what our roster looks like.

Almost like you are sitting there waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Sakic not talking to the media
All the rumors have died down
Barrie not signed
Are they going to sign someone else
If so how the hell are they going to afford it

How the hell were they going to afford Boedker at 4.5M, when we now currently have like 1M in cap space if Barrie and Greg get the deals we expect.

So many questions at a time when the air waves are pretty dead.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Robin, for me the moves like Duchene for Trouba and Barrie for RNH are lateral ones as best. I agree with you there, but the main purpose of them would be ones to shake up the core and go into another direction both in terms of strength and in terms of mentality. I don't think Avs get better in either of them, and I also believe that Nugent-Hopkins is a weak player in mental toughness, but Avs do get a strong willed individual with Trouba.

I think it's weird, we're getting into that dead space period of time in the off-season. However it still very much feels like we don't have a damn clue what our roster looks like.

Almost like you are sitting there waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Sakic not talking to the media
All the rumors have died down
Barrie not signed
Are they going to sign someone else
If so how the hell are they going to afford it

How the hell were they going to afford Boedker at 4.5M, when we now currently have like 1M in cap space if Barrie and Greg get the deals we expect.

So many questions at a time when the air waves are pretty dead.
I think one of the main reasons is due to Roy going silent over this summer. Practically the only scene we saw of him was during the draft where he went on stage to take pictures with Jost. Perhaps he did a couple of interviews during the Avs summer show, but Mars needs to comment on this if that is right or wrong.

He has been much more quiet this offseason than any other of his previous years. Because of this, there are much bigger questions when it comes to who's got the inside track for defensive positions and ideas he wants to try out. I do think we will either see or hear about these ideas before training camp. I believe he does a pre-training camp interview during rookie camp when all the players are arriving.

With your Boedker question, they probably had a set limit for him, which was the rumoured two years around six million-ish. If they did sign him to that much, I highly doubt we would have seen Colborne signed. Perhaps both defenders would be here, but that would be more due to them both having very easy and hide-able salaries IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Robin, for me the moves like Duchene for Trouba and Barrie for RNH are lateral ones as best. I agree with you there, but the main purpose of them would be ones to shake up the core and go into another direction both in terms of strength and in terms of mentality. I don't think Avs get better in either of them, and I also believe that Nugent-Hopkins is a weak player in mental toughness, but Avs do get a strong willed individual with Trouba.

I think one of the main reasons is due to Roy going silent over this summer. Practically the only scene we saw of him was during the draft where he went on stage to take pictures with Jost. Perhaps he did a couple of interviews during the Avs summer show, but Mars needs to comment on this if that is right or wrong.

He has been much more quiet this offseason than any other of his previous years. Because of this, there are much bigger questions when it comes to who's got the inside track for defensive positions and ideas he wants to try out. I do think we will either see or hear about these ideas before training camp. I believe he does a pre-training camp interview during rookie camp when all the players are arriving.

With your Boedker question, they probably had a set limit for him, which was the rumoured two years around six million-ish. If they did sign him to that much, I highly doubt we would have seen Colborne signed. Perhaps both defenders would be here, but that would be more due to them both having very easy and hide-able salaries IMO.

Didn't the Boedker contract stuff happen well after we signed the other guys?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Didn't the Boedker contract stuff happen well after we signed the other guys?

Can't say for certain, it was definitely leaked afterwards, but no word if they wanted to sign him earlier then put him as an after thought later on when the two sides were falling apart.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I know it was just a compliment of some sort but Hampus Lindholm is not in the top 15 best NHL defensemen. Honorable mention for top 30 though. And if we were able to trade Landeskog for a top 15nhl dman, then I'd really consider it, but I do value Landy very high and he's still developing so yeah he's pretty untouchable

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
Just listened and really enjoyed it again well done team.

One point I wanted to comment on is Roy talking about drafting for 'need'. First of all I think I agree they don't believe in it in the first round. I think he uses it in a slightly different context to the common usage in that they believe in having a well rounded prospect pool. They understand that outside the first round they are at least 2-3 years away from impacting so they are just trying to make sure they have everything they need in the pipeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad