Talking the Avs Ep 16 - 2016 NHL Draft analysis

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'm pretty much done listening to it. Liked the insight on the prospects I have no idea about. Disagree with some of the goalie portions of the podcast but otherwise definitely enjoyable.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Just finished listening to the podcast. Another great job guys.

TV, I agree with everything you said even with regard to CBJ's pick not because I think Dubois is better but I think he is a better fit for them being a center. I think the difference between the two players was not big enough for them to disregard their bigger need for a top-end C.

I also agree about Nylander. Just like you I just don't think he was a good fit for the Avs. In fact of all the first 12 players taken, the only ones I wouldn't have picked at #10 are Nylander and McLeod and I like both players a lot as well just not at 10.

The only thing I disagree with you is when you said you are sure the Avs would have picked Sergachev over Jost. Hepple said that they were holding their breath because they didn't think he would fall to them. I don't think he would have said that if he weren't their pick. I believe that the Avs had Jost ranked at least 7th overall and possibly 6th. Besides the obvious top-5 I think maybe only Keller was above Jost and I'm not even convinced that is the case. Heck I'm not even convinced they had Tkachuk above him. It seems they had Jost really high.

I'm more and more excited about the Morrison and Clurman picks. I think Clurman really suffered from under-exposure. And Barron at 7th is just a great gamble I think. His two-way game alone I think was worth the pick.

For a weak draft class I think the have did very well.

Anyway again great job.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Anderson pick is going to be an interesting test of their new WHL scouts. I have to imagine that those guys got heavy input on that pick, we'll see if they continue to flounder in that league with regards to picks.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
AAA, thanks for listening and for the feedback!

I agree that Columbus' desire for a center was a factor there. I think it's pretty close between Dubois and Puljujarvi anyway and that could have pushed it. Plus I think Dubois is a great fit there.

I think Jost was up there but Sergachev was their guy IMO. I know they really liked him, Dater said they wanted him to be the pick too. I heard they liked Brown too so to take Jost over him meant he was high on the list. There was a lot of smoke on Keller, I was never sure where he fell in that trio of forwards but I think those three they liked the best.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Oh I'm sure they were really high on all three of those guys as well but if you really want a player (Jost) wouldn't you want the other teams to believe you prefer the other guys. They have used Dater before to disseminate wrong info. Listening to Hepple and Sakic the past day I'm still convinced they had Jost just a bit higher. I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad