The Athletic Talking baseball with Terry Pegula, whose childhood fandom inspired his purchase of Buffalo’s teams

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Talking baseball with Terry Pegula, whose childhood fandom...

Talking baseball with Terry Pegula, whose childhood fandom inspired his purchase of Buffalo’s teams

GettyImages-1166766951-e1568135938249-1024x684.jpg

Terry Pegula always was a collector. Baseball cards, trains, stamps, coins, rocks, whatever caught his eye.

He grew up in Carbondale, Pa., while a coal-mine fire burned for three decades underneath it. Pegula’s father worked in the mines, then found better work as a truck driver and mechanic. When hernia surgery prevented Myron Pegula from working for a year, the family waited in welfare lines for food.

“Which was very embarrassing for me,” Pegula said. “I was 10 or 11 years old. We’d go and get puffed rice in bags, five-gallon containers of peanut butter. We didn’t have the money.”

Interesting article. Goes into his upbringing, having to walk 18 miles to school there and back for a bit, how he thought he might try to go to school to become an astronaut, how he wasn't going to lose getting the Bills, and other stuff including where he got his love for the Detroit Tigers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad