Talk about "loaded"

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Just rewatched the last few minutes of Game 6 of the 2013 SCF. Just noticed Saad was on the fourth line!

Bickell Toews Hossa
Sharp Hanzus Kane
Bolland Kruger Frolik
Stalhberg Shaw Saad

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I seem to remember before that year started, that some people on here were upset because the Hawks didn't make any changes following the 2012 1st round exit. "Same team, same results."

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Depth wins cups. Specifically, 3, even 4, strong forward lines. The forward depth was the difference in all three of the Hawks' cup winning teams....

Vegas and Washington, same story this season.

Pittsburgh proved it as well the previous two seasons....

Forward depth wins.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Depth wins cups. Specifically, 3, even 4, strong forward lines. The forward depth was the difference in all three of the Hawks' cup winning teams....

Vegas and Washington, same story this season.

Pittsburgh proved it as well the previous two seasons....

Forward depth wins.
I agree to a certain extent, except when it comes to last years Pens team.
That team had very little depth.

They had 4 forwards with 20+pts, Kunitz had 11, and no other forward had more than 9pts.

There stars won them that Cup.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I agree to a certain extent, except when it comes to last years Pens team.
That team had very little depth.

They had 4 forwards with 20+pts, Kunitz had 11, and no other forward had more than 9pts.

There stars won them that Cup.

Sure, but two of their stars play on the second line...

Also, Crosby and Malkin didn't have a single GWG in the playoffs. They got timely scoring from depth players....

And two different goalies standing on their heads.

It was probably one of the flukiest cup wins I've ever seen.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Sure, but two of their stars play on the second line...

Also, Crosby and Malkin didn't have a single GWG in the playoffs. They got timely scoring from depth players....

And two different goalies standing on their heads.
Sure, but depth to me is all 4 lines scoring. Their top 5 players 4F 1D had 50% of their teams pts. Their stars and goalies are the only reason they won.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
But the the top 9 was better IMO

No legit second-line center in 2010. Buff was all around superior to Bickell, but stats-wise similar, I think. D, after the Top 5, was more talented (cough, Leddy, cough) if not deeper, in 2013.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
No legit second-line center in 2010. Buff was all around superior to Bickell, but stats-wise similar, I think. D, after the Top 5, was more talented (cough, Leddy, cough) if not deeper, in 2013.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but wasn't Sharp Center then? Also, 2nd line center (Zus) is the huge weak spot of the 2013 team.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I seem to remember before that year started, that some people on here were upset because the Hawks didn't make any changes following the 2012 1st round exit. "Same team, same results."

Actually the biggest outrage I recall was not improving goaltending situation as many gave up on Crawford after Yotes series

Also if you recall some wanted Emery to be #1 for 2013 playoffs because they said Crawford couldn't be trusted after Yotes series and Emery had experience of finals run

A lot of Anti-Crawford fans back then who got even more upset when he got 6M contract extension

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
But the the top 9 was better IMO

Byfuglien-Toews-Kane
Brouwer-Sharp-Hossa
Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg

I believe this was top 9 for a lot of playoffs I believe (I believe Pecker and Brouwer flip flopped when Brouwer was struggling if I remember correctly)

So yes that is clearly a deeper team and far more talented offensively

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but wasn't Sharp Center then? Also, 2nd line center (Zus) is the huge weak spot of the 2013 team.

Supposedly. I still have no recollection of Sharp (or anyone else) playing as the 2nd-line center that year, given Quenneville never liked him there and much preferred him on the LW. I personally would leave Sharp as the 2nd-line center (and on the PK).

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sure, but depth to me is all 4 lines scoring. Their top 5 players 4F 1D had 50% of their teams pts. Their stars and goalies are the only reason they won.

Goals are what win games. Not secondary assists. Pittsburgh last season had 18 different players score goals. So, all 4 lines were scoring. I didn't look very hard, but I couldn't find another team that had goals from that many different players in a playoff run any time in recent history.

And, again....their two biggest stars did not have a SINGLE GWG in the playoffs(important goals).

Five of their game winners came from Guentzel(not a star)...

They got 10 goals from defensemen(a lot).

They won 5 of 8 games against Washington and Ottawa by a single goal...

You quite obviously don't understand what "depth scoring" is or how important every single goal in the playoffs is.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Actually the biggest outrage I recall was not improving goaltending situation as many gave up on Crawford after Yotes series

Also if you recall some wanted Emery to be #1 for 2013 playoffs because they said Crawford couldn't be trusted after Yotes series and Emery had experience of finals run

A lot of Anti-Crawford fans back then who got even more upset when he got 6M contract extension

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/crawford-signs-extension-6-years.1492537/

Some interesting comments in there.

Honestly I don't remember what I thought.

Reactions: migi

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Supposedly. I still have no recollection of Sharp (or anyone else) playing as the 2nd-line center that year, given Quenneville never liked him there and much preferred him on the LW. I personally would leave Sharp as the 2nd-line center (and on the PK).

Sharp took 241 draws in the playoffs that year, so I think he was.

2009-10 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Faceoffs - National Hockey League - ESPN

It all does start to blur together though. If I recall, the next season they stopped using him at center. I had heard (from fans, nothing concrete) that it was Sharp who didn't want to play C anymore, but I never saw that confirmed anywhere.

Off topic, but in looking at the numbers, Sharp finished 4th for the Selke in 07-08? Wow

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
What about the back end?

All the posts in this thread above pretty much ignore the defensive core. Defense from the back-end and from the team in general is what wins championships.

Reactions: LordKOTL

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Fast forward to 2018: Hawks still have a decent group of forwards but their defense is near the bottom of the league - add poor coaching and inconsistent ST's and this is where we are at.

Reactions: LordKOTL

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
All the posts in this thread above pretty much ignore the defensive core. Defense from the back-end and from the team in general is what wins championships.

Fast forward to 2018: Hawks still have a decent group of forwards but their defense is near the bottom of the league - add poor coaching and inconsistent ST's and this is where we are at.

I agree with your assessment, but the OP was specifically talking about forward depth.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I agree with your assessment, but the OP was specifically talking about forward depth.

Which is a common theme, when discussing Blackhawks' rosters. I think (with the right systems in place) the 2018 version of forwards is fine but for a few tweaks (like bringing back Wingels).

The defense is another story and a very weak link exacerbated by their utilization and defensive system.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/crawford-signs-extension-6-years.1492537/

Some interesting comments in there.

Honestly I don't remember what I thought.

Mine

It is what it is

I am just gonna trust Bowman on this (He has earned it)

Hawks wanted stability going forward in net and know they can win with Crawford and what he brings to table

Don't like the term + cost combo (A few years too long and 1M too much IMO) but we shall just see how this goes

I didn't start to sour on Bowman until 2014

The euphoria of 2013 Cup also was still in effect. Little did I realize just how damaging Stanley could be longterm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad