Confirmed with Link: Talbot for Stolarz

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Except we’ve scene what he can do. He freaking sucks.

As you said, what’s done is done. We’re saddled with Koskinen for 3 years. We need to see if we can find a cap friendly way to get get a starting goalie (even a mediocre-bad one). Stolarz probably isn’t that guy, but we still need to see if he can be. Otherwise we’re going to have 3 choices. Buy out Koskinen, give a sizeable add to dump him somewhere, or trade him for an equally bad contract (Darling?) in the hopes the other goalie can bounce back.

Weird conclusion to draw. Gags/Spooner had almost no effect on the cap (like 15k).

Yep you're right...for some reason I thought Spooner was around 1.5-2 million. My bad, I do now recall reading in that specific trade thread how the salaries were nearly a wash.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Even if Anthony Stolarz plays all the remaining games for the Oilers, he's still going to be a UFA due to not being able to hit the mark needed with the remaining games. He needed 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or more to be an RFA. One of the games this season were under 30 mins, so he would need 6 more with 5 games remaining.

It doesn't look like the Oilers had any plan of keeping him.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Even if Anthony Stolarz plays all the remaining games for the Oilers, he's still going to be a UFA due to not being able to hit the mark needed with the remaining games. He needed 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or more to be an RFA. One of the games this season were under 30 mins, so he would need 6 more with 5 games remaining.

It doesn't look like the Oilers had any plan of keeping him.
I don’t think there would be much competition in signing him anyways, even if they want him back UFA vs RFA doesn’t mean much for a struggling backup with limited options

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don’t think there would be much competition in signing him anyways, even if they want him back UFA vs RFA doesn’t mean much for a struggling backup with limited options

Yeah, but now he has the choice of if he wants to make league minimum in Edmonton or somewhere else. If he does decide to leave, the Oilers would need to find another backup.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Yeah, but now he has the choice of if he wants to make league minimum in Edmonton or somewhere else. If he does decide to leave, the Oilers would need to find another backup.

Oilers will be looking at a solid backup no matter what this season. They've put themselves in a position that needs an experienced 1b. Along the lines of Elliott, Mrazek, McElhinney. Would be shocked if they deviated from one of those.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Oilers will be looking at a solid backup no matter what this season. They've put themselves in a position that needs an experienced 1b. Along the lines of Elliott, Mrazek, McElhinney. Would be shocked if they deviated from one of those.

Next year is unfortunately a transition year. It will be the first time in a long time I fully expect the Oilers to miss the playoffs.

We have too many bad contracts and passengers (Lucic) combined with too many regressions (Larsson) and too many injuries (Klefbom and Sekera) to go in expecting success. If everything goes right I believe this group can make the playoffs but it's just not likely.

So what I would like to see is the Oilers start to work a very promising group of prospects into the lineup. Ģuys like Benson and Marody. Lagesson and Bear. Starrett. Plus a slew of others.

I want the Oilers to lay the ground work for moving some of these prospects into permanent full time nhl players.

That will mean playing rookies over vets and putting making the playoffs as a slightly lesser objective.

Right now Oilers brass is terrified of missing the playoffs. They are over playing vets and our starting goalie in a desperate attempt to save thier jobs and make the playoffs.

Everyone in the organization needs to relax. Throw away the term rebuild. Toss away the pressure of playoffs or bust. Just focus on getting a great team together for the next 5+ years. By building from within. Slowly and carefully over the next 2 seasons to set up the following.

I want a lot less focus on Mcdavid winning trophies or getting a playoff for his legacy and more creating a team that scores up and down the lineup. Plays loose and has fun.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I think it’s a good thing not being committed to Stolarz... oilers have to aim a lot higher if they want to be competitive. He’s a dime a dozen backup goalie - there’s 20 guys that could replace him tomorrow for the same or lower salary.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Next year is unfortunately a transition year. It will be the first time in a long time I fully expect the Oilers to miss the playoffs.

We have too many bad contracts and passengers (Lucic) combined with too many regressions (Larsson) and too many injuries (Klefbom and Sekera) to go in expecting success. If everything goes right I believe this group can make the playoffs but it's just not likely.

So what I would like to see is the Oilers start to work a very promising group of prospects into the lineup. Ģuys like Benson and Marody. Lagesson and Bear. Starrett. Plus a slew of others.

I want the Oilers to lay the ground work for moving some of these prospects into permanent full time nhl players.

That will mean playing rookies over vets and putting making the playoffs as a slightly lesser objective.

Right now Oilers brass is terrified of missing the playoffs. They are over playing vets and our starting goalie in a desperate attempt to save thier jobs and make the playoffs.

Everyone in the organization needs to relax. Throw away the term rebuild. Toss away the pressure of playoffs or bust. Just focus on getting a great team together for the next 5+ years. By building from within. Slowly and carefully over the next 2 seasons to set up the following.

I want a lot less focus on Mcdavid winning trophies or getting a playoff for his legacy and more creating a team that scores up and down the lineup. Plays loose and has fun.

What you are saying is correct but you cannot 'put away the word rebuild' when that is exactly what you are saying we should do.

You know what? Today right now you could come out and say we are now in a 3 year rebuild period to fans and they would accept it, IF you also tore down the whole hockey organization before hand.

The issue is no one expects the team to properly sit back and relax and rebuild the next two years. The same utter morons are in charge of the hickey team and even with a new gm the same utter morons will be lurking in the back ground.

It is a VERY tough sell to say two year rebuild while you have two of the best players in the world and have made the playoffs once in the last 13 years.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think it’s a good thing not being committed to Stolarz... oilers have to aim a lot higher if they want to be competitive. He’s a dime a dozen backup goalie - there’s 20 guys that could replace him tomorrow for the same or lower salary.
You pretty much just described our starter too.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
What you are saying is correct but you cannot 'put away the word rebuild' when that is exactly what you are saying we should do.

You know what? Today right now you could come out and say we are now in a 3 year rebuild period to fans and they would accept it, IF you also tore down the whole hockey organization before hand.

The issue is no one expects the team to properly sit back and relax and rebuild the next two years. The same utter morons are in charge of the hickey team and even with a new gm the same utter morons will be lurking in the back ground.

It is a VERY tough sell to say two year rebuild while you have two of the best players in the world and have made the playoffs once in the last 13 years.

I think it splitting hairs a bit but what I think is the Oilers are in transition. Or retooling or... anything but a rebuild.

Some major items that I associate with rebuild that do not apply to the Oilers anymore.

Tanking for draft position. Aka another top 3 pick. Yes the Oil need to draft well and still need talent. But they no longer "need" top tier draft picks to do this. We need 50 point two way forwards not 100 point franchise players. You can get second line level talent anywhere in the first 45 picks easily/luckily enough.

We do not need/can't afford high profile UFA SIGNINGS.

We have 3 top 3 defenders and 3 bottom 3 defenders. Our defense is no longer a gaping hole.

We no longer "need" a savior. We no longer need elite top line talent. What we need is depth. What we need isome development and progression.

On paper we are an nhl average team when healthy. That is a massive upgrade over what it was 3 years ago. While we obviously are still not good enough to make the playoffs we are not a bottom 5 team either.

We are good enough that the term rebuild is no longer valid imo.

Boston has Baches on thier team (similiar to Lucic contract). Numerous young no name defenders filling in top 4 roles. Depth to offset losing thier best players due to injury or suspension and are a relatively consistent playoff team with a legit shot at the cup this year.

They retool on the fly. Draft outside the top 10 typically. Just have a better deeper team.

The Oilers need to add depth and retool not tank and rebuild.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Playing rookies over vets before the rookies are ready is what has helped to screw this team already. Not sure why you'd want us to go down that road again. How about EASING the rookies in for once? And signing some COMPETENT vets for once? I think that recipe might actually bear some fruit immediately and down the road. Not sacrificing the future of course, but going in with a mindset of missing the playoffs is silly. Try telling that Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl and see what they tell you.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Playing rookies over vets before the rookies are ready is what has helped to screw this team already. Not sure why you'd want us to go down that road again. How about EASING the rookies in for once? And signing some COMPETENT vets for once? I think that recipe might actually bear some fruit immediately and down the road. Not sacrificing the future of course, but going in with a mindset of missing the playoffs is silly. Try telling that Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl and see what they tell you.

Weird post. What you are describing is exactly what I've been saying.

We have top line forwards and top 3 defenders to shelter our young players. Now is the time to do it.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

We have top line forwards and top 3 defenders to shelter our young players. Now is the time to do it.

Pretty sure I thought you wrote "playing rookies over vets". Am I wrong?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

@Stoneman89 is right. You are advocating for playing rookies over vets. Its pretty clear in your post.
I think thats exactly the wrong way to do things.

Playoffs should be a priority next season....clearing cap space is step 1.
Acquiring capable Vets is step 2.
Then work players like Benson et al into the lineup slowly after you have filled most of the positions with capable vets.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Pretty sure I thought you wrote "playing rookies over vets". Am I wrong?

Only one part of a string where I describe pretty much everything you say. I used the term transition our prospects into the lineup over the next 2 years.

I should have written "part of the transition process will be playing rookies over vets like Lucic" for those not following along.

It's the Internet. Hope no one is too upset about not grasping what I was saying over the course of a few posts.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Only one part of a string where I describe pretty much everything you say. I used the term transition our prospects into the lineup over the next 2 years.

I should have written "part of the transition process will be playing rookies over vets like Lucic" for those not following along.

It's the Internet. Hope no one is too upset about not grasping what I was saying over the course of a few posts.
Thanks for the clarification. But I will also add, that giving the team the mindset that the playoffs is not the goal, is a dangerous thing. It should always be the goal, no matter how unrealistic or crazy it may seem. It may put pressure on, but there are 30 some other teams that have the same pressure on them. We need players that will succeed and thrive under that.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Why? He’s not good enough to bail out Koskinen if he needs to next year, there’s always goalies that are much better then him that end up out of the league. They’ll need a 1B next season, which he is not

Totally agree. He's not even good enough to play a couple games to give Koskinen a break during garbage time so I only see bad things happening if he's our #2 next year.

Reactions: MikeYEG

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Totally agree. He's not even good enough to play a couple games to give Koskinen a break during garbage time so I only see bad things happening if he's our #2 next year.

I wonder if Talbot would come back for a team friendly $1.5 next season? He was an ok backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad