Confirmed with Link: Talbot for Stolarz

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Koskinen is a good goaltender.
How do you know that? Certainly hasn't shown it at this level for more than a 2 week period. Is 31 years old and has never been a starter at this level before. Why do you think it was a good idea to have them sign him to that contract instead of doing due diligence, (like every other competent organization would do), and getting a larger sample size than 20 games. Especially if he had been trending the wrong way for the last month?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Koskinen has had the same d in front of him, actually he played more without klefbom in front of him as well I believe.

Hopefully a healthy Sekera adds improvement on the d for the goaltenders.
Talbot played with a Klefbom last year that likely should have been shut down for the year due to his shoulder. And Larsson played hurt for most of the year, and also had the sad personal situation affect him for months. So, he's been there for a much longer period than not. Year before that, he had both Klef and Larrson healthy and put up great numbers.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if Stolarz starts against Arizona? Koskinen has been fine-ish the last 3 games and maybe the case can be made that we should keep rolling with him in the hope that he'll start to get in a bit of a groove. However we need to see what Stolarz is all about and maybe the new blood (Gagner, Stolarz and Sekera) can inject some instant energy to the team?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Talbot played with a Klefbom last year that likely should have been shut down for the year due to his shoulder. And Larsson played hurt for most of the year, and also had the sad personal situation affect him for months. So, he's been there for a much longer period than not. Year before that, he had both Klef and Larrson healthy and put up great numbers.

I think that Talbot and the team had their confidence shattered when Anaheim came back on them and beat us. We've never been close to the same since. IMO Talbot was lights out in preseason this season but once the games mattered he struggled again.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
And he’s still losing now with Klef and Russell back. Excuses gone, sorry. By the end of the year his stats will actually be worse than Talbot’s. Not to worry though, only have 3 more years of it.

Yep. I’d put money on Talbot having a higher save percentage than Koskinen from the trade to the end of the season.

I wonder if Stolarz starts against Arizona? Koskinen has been fine-ish the last 3 games and maybe the case can be made that we should keep rolling with him in the hope that he'll start to get in a bit of a groove. However we need to see what Stolarz is all about and maybe the new blood (Gagner, Stolarz and Sekera) can inject some instant energy to the team?

I sure hope so. Koskinen isn’t giving us a chance to win, and we need to get Stolarz in enough games to keep him an RFA. It’s a win win

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I sure hope so. Koskinen isn’t giving us a chance to win, and we need to get Stolarz in enough games to keep him an RFA. It’s a win win

I wouldn't say that he's not giving us a chance to win, we've been in all 3 of the games on this road trip but our team sure as hell didn't give him a chance to win with the run support that we gave him. He didn't win us games, but IMO he didn't lose us games either. IMO he's been about C grade the last 3 games while we needed A grade goaltending to sneak out some points because our offense has been crap.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I wouldn't say that he's not giving us a chance to win, we've been in all 3 of the games on this road trip but our team sure as hell didn't give him a chance to win with the run support that we gave him. He didn't win us games, but IMO he didn't lose us games either. IMO he's been about C grade the last 3 games while we needed A grade goaltending to sneak out some points because our offense has been crap.

He only really outright lost us last night’s game, but he still badly lost the goaltending battle in each of the last 3 games. We’re certainly not scoring enough, but he still needs to be better if we’re going to win

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He only really outright lost us last night’s game, but he still badly lost the goaltending battle in each of the last 3 games. We’re certainly not scoring enough, but he still needs to be better if we’re going to win
You sure you watched the right game? A one timer, 2 deflections and a cross crease on a 2on1?

He didn’t lose us last nights game at all.

I think the reason it looks like our goalie is always getting outplayed is this team has no offence outside the top 3 forwards, none of our D are good at generating offence either.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You sure you watched the right game? A one timer, 2 deflections and a cross crease on a 2on1?

I think the reason it looks like our goalie is always getting outplayed is this team has no offence outside the top 3 forwards, none of our D are good at generating offence either.

If he wasn’t so slow and immobile, he probably stops 3 of them.

Lee’s on the 2 on 1 was pathetic. That was a pass the entire way and he had tons of time to move across, but is too slow to. It’s inexcusable that he couldn’t get to that. That needs to be stopped all day.

Pulock has a cannon, absolutely, but that was an unscreened point shot. If he actually challenges the shot like other goalies, he cuts down the angle and stops it. But he’s not mobile enough to challenge shooters, so he has to play deeper in the net, exposing more areas on shots like that. Again. That’s a very stoppable shot.

Filpulla’s tip he got caught assuming the shot was going wide. Again, if he’s a more mobile goalie, he tracks that, and gets across with it. Likely stopping it.

Barzal’s tip I give him a pass on. He played it well. He got across, came out as much as he could. It was just a great tip to get it past Koskinen.

That should have been a 2-2 or 2-1 (for us) game if it wasn’t for Koskinen’s mobility issues

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Other teams goalie was better. End of story.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Lee’s on the 2 on 1 was pathetic. That was a pass the entire way and he had tons of time to move across, but is too slow to. It’s inexcusable that he couldn’t get to that. That needs to be stopped all day.

Pulock has a cannon, absolutely, but that was an unscreened point shot. If he actually challenges the shot like other goalies, he cuts down the angle and stops it. But he’s not mobile enough to challenge shooters, so he has to play deeper in the net, exposing more areas on shots like that. Again. That’s a very stoppable shot.

Filpulla’s tip he got caught assuming the shot was going wide. Again, if he’s a more mobile goalie, he tracks that, and gets across with it. Likely stopping it.

Barzal’s tip I give him a pass on. He played it well. He got across, came out as much as he could. It was just a great tip to get it past Koskinen.

That should have been a 2-2 or 2-1 (for us) game if it wasn’t for Koskinen’s mobility issues
Well I guess lehner should of had both of the goals back then too, if he challenged the first goal better it doesn’t get past him, and the draisaitl one was a pass the whole time so if he was faster it would of been an easy save

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Well I guess lehner should of had both of the goals back then too, if he challenged the first goal better it doesn’t get past him, and the draisaitl one was a pass the whole time so if he was faster it would of been an easy save

What? Neither of those goals were on Lehner. Drai’s goal wasn’t looking like a pass until McDavid suddenly found him, and Nuge had a great tip. Koskinen let in 3 weak goals. That doesn’t mean the other 3 goals in the game were weak as well. You’re reaching.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Koskinen signing was like giving Nilsson a 3 year x 4.5 million dollar contract after his hot 2 weeks in December 2015. I'd rather go into this offseason needing to find 2 goalies then being saddled with a 4.5 million dollar backup. Hopefully he turns his game around soon and has a great next 3 seasons.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What? Neither of those goals were on Lehner. Drai’s goal wasn’t looking like a pass until McDavid suddenly found him, and Nuge had a great tip. Koskinen let in 3 weak goals. That doesn’t mean the other 3 goals in the game were weak as well. You’re reaching.
You honestly can’t say the filpulla goal was weak, it was a perfect tip just like nuges.

I think you’re the one reaching cause your hero got replaced.

Reactions: RegDunlop

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You honestly can’t say the filpulla goal was weak, it was a perfect tip just like nuges.

I think you’re the one reaching cause your hero got replaced.

I already explained why it was weak. But nice try.

My hero? Just because I said Talbot is better than Koskinen doesn’t make him my hero. I’ve already said I understand why people might not want to bring him back. He just makes more sense to bring back than Koskinen. But keep reaching

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Other teams goalie was better. End of story.

Kind of like most nights when Talbot's in the net too. Actually far worse given we had to score 4-5 minimum to be in games last year.

FTR, I do think Koskinen's contract is a tad rich but it is what it is now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Lars blew it because he played the pass and it still went through. Not sure why you fault the goalie for that when his defenseman failed him?

The tip was as simple as Petrovic leaving his man all alone. Other than that IMO Alex had a decent game.

Reactions: frag2

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Lars blew it because he played the pass and it still went through. Not sure why you fault the goalie for that when his defenseman failed him?

The tip was as simple as Petrovic leaving his man all alone. Other than that IMO Alex had a decent game.

Because regardless of if the pass got through or not, he never sold the shot. It wasn’t even that fast of a pass. Koskinen has tons of time to get across, but he isn’t able to. He needs serious work on his lateral movement. I don’t know if it’s a lack of leg strength, or improper training, but it needs addressing. It’s flat out unacceptable to be that bad laterally at that level

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

One thing a goalie has to do in a situation like that is be aware of the player trying to tip in front. Once he is aware he has to move as close to the player as possible. That way he is able to get in front of a tip when the opposing player is in tight.
Koskinen was way too deep in his net...he didnt make the correct read at all and didnt adjust. Thats on him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Because regardless of if the pass got through or not, he never sold the shot. It wasn’t even that fast of a pass. Koskinen has tons of time to get across, but he isn’t able to. He needs serious work on his lateral movement. I don’t know if it’s a lack of leg strength, or improper training, but it needs addressing. It’s flat out unacceptable to be that bad laterally at that level

By my eye he seemed quicker laterally earlier in the season, lately I agree he has been painfully slow which is another reason that Larsson should've given up the shot and not the pass.

destro909

Jan 3, 2008

I wouldn’t be so fast to want to keep Stolarz around as an RFA. We need to see whether he is at least capable of playing at the level of a quality NHL backup. If he’s not there then we’ll need to find a better backup in UFA and I don’t where Stolarz would fit in that situation. It doesn’t sound like he’s keen to spend more time in the minors and I’m not sure we have room for him down there anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad