Taking this team to the next level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
Realistically what can Marc Bergevin do / who can he acquire to take this team to the next level?
What can he do to win now or as soon as next year?

Pacioretty Galchenyuk XXX
XXX Plekanec Gallagher
Sekac Eller Parenteau
Prust Malhotra Weise

Subban Markov
Emelin XXX
Beaulieu XXX
Tinordi

We are missing 2 wingers, a legit 3-4 defensemen and a 5-6 dman who could play a 3-4 role if needed.

Who can fill these spaces. I know most of you want to say " oh x prospect is gonna fill this "
But andrighetto, etc probably isn't going to make that much of an impact.

What do you guys think?
It's clear we need to get rid of Allen weaver etc
I'm not sold on gilbert
gonchar I could bring back as a 6-7 dman for limited salary
DD unfortunately has to be the odd man out.
What players in the league can fill these positions?

SakuSauce

Drive for 25
Dec 2, 2006
Montréal
We need top Ds. I think we have enough young players to fill the spots (Hudon, Ghetto, Bournival, DLR, Scherbak eventually). We need a top 4 D, ideally a top 2. Someone you can rely on for 25min. That someone will be hard to find tho. A player like Yandle couldn't hurt us tho.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Staal.

Trade for Eric st the deadline and play him on the wing or center if need be.

Sign Marc as a UFA during the summer.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I would say for MB to try and acquire a 1st line right winger. We can always wait and see how Scherbak pan's out. For the immediate future, for sure a 1st line right winger.

On D, a bigger and younger Weaver type of player.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I would love to get Marc Staal because the Habs never have players that are allowed to clutch and grab all the time.

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
Staal.

Trade for Eric st the deadline and play him on the wing or center if need be.

Sign Marc as a UFA during the summer.

What would you trade for Staal?
If I was Carolina I would ask for:
scherbak + 1st + roster player

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Unfortunately, until this team addresses its lack of mobility at the back end, it will remain a good but not a championship level team. Look how Calgary and Buffalo have changed their fortunes and how the Oilers continue to flounder. Mobile defences allow you to compete in all games. Our defence is way too slow and the acquisitions of Gonchar and Allen was misguided. The last thing this team needed was acquiring more aging and slow footed defencemen. Over paying for non-dynamic forwards like Vanek and Staal is akin to putting a Band-Aid on a cancer. It won't help.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Before the beginning of the season, I'd say a scoring winger, preferably RW. We lack offense up front.

But since then, we've acquired too many slow vets on D. That needs to be adressed as well. It might be possible to do it internally, but we'll see about that. Therrien likes his vets.

As Chester said, you need mobility on the back end. Be quick on the puck or the guy carrying it. That way we can neutralize a lot of play from the other team and generate some possession and upwards puck movement.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I too would like Staal, but he hasn't been the same since his eye injury. He's been the Rangers' Emelin over the last year or so, and by that I mean inconsistent, bone-headed plays, etc. He's going to be a risk to sign this summer considering the kind of salary and term he'll command.

But our biggest need is on D. There's a lot of high quality UFA defensemen this summer. We should sign at least one of them.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Before the beginning of the season, I'd say a scoring winger, preferably RW. We lack offense up front.

But since then, we've acquired too many slow vets on D. That needs to be adressed as well. It might be possible to do it internally, but we'll see about that. Therrien likes his vets.

As Chester said, you need mobility on the back end. Be quick on the puck or the guy carrying it. That way we can neutralize a lot of play from the other team and generate some possession and upwards puck movement.

It's all about asset management. Do it right and you will compete for a championship. Do it wrong and it will be another two decades before we are a legitimate cup contender. Giving up valuable assets to acquire short term fixes for a fundamentally flawed team is a prescription for continued organizational failure.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
To get to the next level, MB has to trade DD. Our center should be Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Eller.

-I don't any more dman. I still think that both Tinordi and Beaulieu should be regular right now. We just need a coach that has confidence in rookie dman.

-We need to trade for a real first line right winger. I love Gallagher, but he ain't first line material.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I definitely think we need another centre or top 6 winger. Also a top 4 defenceman because I'm not sure Emelin is up to the task without Markov. If he stays on, I'd have to reshuffle the d.

Patches Chucky Gally
Sekac Plex Sharp
Bourni Eller PAP
Prust Manny Weise

N8 PK - Beau can play Markov's role to some extent & PK carries the tandem
Markov Emelin - For some reason, Emelin looks lost on the right without Markov
Gonchar Gilbert - Gonchar has played left D throughout his career & is comfortable there
Weaver

Barring any more changes to the defense.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
If it was me, I would target Oduya and Methot if available, as free agent signings this summer. These two players would add a great deal of mobility to our back end and raise the entire tempo/pace of our team's playing level. They will be expensive, but if we cut Gonchar, Weaver and Allen the money will be there. You'll be surprised as to how much better our forwards look when supported by a mobile defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad