Take me out and shoot me if I'm wrong, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
ArtG said:
When was the last time the NHL had a true dynasty? the 80s oilers? that's 20 years ago. How did it end? they traded Gretzky cuz they couldn't afford him! There was no cap, there was no linkage, no restrictions -- nothing. Over the last 20 years there has been no cap and there have been 0 dynasties.

Worst argument ever.

:handclap:

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Nice of you to come forward and admit your interest is in keeping the advantage your team's big money brings. It's not about the ability of ALL teams to build a dynasty, just yours.

I'll be sure to shed a tear when your team loses their edge.

Right, its not about all teams creating a dynsaty, its about any team creating a dynasty. Can't happen with a cap.

And if you actually bothered to read anything I've written, My solution is 100% revenue sharing. Now tell me I'm only looking out for Detroit.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
Are the New England Patriots not an elite team? What about the Cowboys of the 90s? Did they not play under a cap? Were the Chicago Bulls of the 1990s not an elite team? Did they not play under a cap?

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Ok, can we stop talking about the NFL and NBA caps please?

No relationship to the NHL's needs whatsoever.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PepNCheese said:

You'd be hard pressed to seel that to Gary Bettman, who certainly thinks the NHL needs an NFL style cap.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
PepNCheese said:

Thank you, people forget the Bulls were allowed to pay Jordan over 20 million dollars a year and not have it count against their cap number.

People forget the Redskins have paid out around 110 million dollars this year even though the salary cap is closer to 80 million because of creative accounting and signing bonus.

Go Flames Go*

New England Patriots, St.Louis Rams, Green Bay Packers, Denver Broncos the Cap works, and there still are dominant teams. Its how your managment works the cap system, and how the coaching staff are able to identify talent that dosent replace your superstar players, but come in and do what the coached need them to do. Look at New England they win the superbowl, earlier in the season they signed Rodney Harrison and cut Lawyer Milloy, and plugged in a rookie CB at Saftey. They lost Drew Bledsoe put in Tom Brady, Ted Washington leaves they draft Vince Wilfork and sign Keith Traylor the cap works if your teams has good coaching and a eye for good talent.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
John Flyers Fan said:
You'd be hard pressed to seel that to Gary Bettman, who certainly thinks the NHL needs an NFL style cap.
That's crap buddy. Nobody's cutting guaranteed contracts and in the last proposal they even offered a salary RANGE rather than an exact figure. I think they want an NFL model, (ie. the only model in pro sports that actually works) but I don't think he's trying to enforce all of the NFL's rules on this league because quite obviously it's a different sport.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ArtG said:
That's crap buddy. Nobody's cutting guaranteed contracts and in the last proposal they even offered a salary RANGE rather than an exact figure. I think they want an NFL model, (ie. the only model in pro sports that actually works) but I don't think he's trying to enforce all of the NFL's rules on this league because quite obviously it's a different sport.

The difference is they have not yet asked for non-guarunteed contracts. Their salary range was a maximum and a minimum. The NFL also has a maximum and a minimum.

In the NFL player are able to become UFA's after 5 seasons of service, in the NHL it's age 30, which could be 12 years of service.

The NHL offer isn't exactly the same as the NFL, but it's certainly based upon it.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ArtG said:
Yes, you're right but like I said before, it's the only model that currently works.

The NBA seems to be making money just fine, with smaller market teams in San Antonio, Minnesota, Indiana, and New Jersey excelling while teams in Chicago, New York, Boston and Philadelphia are all strggling in a big way.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
John Flyers Fan said:
The NBA seems to be making money just fine, with smaller market teams in San Antonio, Minnesota, Indiana, and New Jersey excelling while teams in Chicago, New York, Boston and Philadelphia are all strggling in a big way.
I was listening to a Brian Burke interview the other day and he was discussing the NBA's cap. He mentioned that the NBA is in some serious trouble especially with their CBA expiring next year. They're not making as much money as you may think.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ArtG said:
I was listening to a Brian Burke interview the other day and he was discussing the NBA's cap. He mentioned that the NBA is in some serious trouble especially with their CBA expiring next year. They're not making as much money as you may think.

Yes, the owners in the NBA want to make more money than they currently do. All owners in every business in the world want to make more money.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
JWI19 said:
Thank you, people forget the Bulls were allowed to pay Jordan over 20 million dollars a year and not have it count against their cap number.

People forget the Redskins have paid out around 110 million dollars this year even though the salary cap is closer to 80 million because of creative accounting and signing bonus.

I think you may be oversimplifying things a bit.
Jordan was able to earn more like $30 million a year his last few seasons because of the NBA's Larry Bird exemption which allows teams to exceed the cap for homegrown players. Just speculation on my part, but I think the NHL would permit such an exemption provided that, like the current NBA system, there is a cap on maximum salaries.
As for the Skins, all those signing bonuses count against the cap, but they count over the term of the player's contract. For example, a player's $12 million bonus for a six-year contract counts $2 million per year against the cap. Keep in mind, that money continues to count against the cap for six years, regardless of whether that player is still with the team. This works out to the benefit of both the players, whose large bonuses are the only guaranteed money they get, and the owners, who get cap flexibility.

Reilly311

John Flyers Fan said:
NFL players become RFA's after just 3 seasons and UFA's after 5 years.

but NFL players also come into the league at 21. First round picks in the NFL make instant impacts. a 18 year old NHL player rarely produces.

Reilly311

FLYLine4LIFE said:
2 outta 3 years aint a Dynasty. Sorry.Give New E. a few years..they will be back at the bottom....just what a CAP can do.

and it only takes 1 year in the NFL for a bad team to become a playoff contender. Who want's wo wait 5 years for their favorite team to become contenders? :dunno:

Besides, the last true dynasty the NHL has seen was the Islanders in the 80's 20 years ago. Even under the current NHL CBA, we probably won't see another dynasty.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Go Flames Go said:
New England Patriots, St.Louis Rams, Green Bay Packers, Denver Broncos the Cap works/QUOTE]

Green Bay has played in one of the consistently worst divisions in the NFL. They have also only won one title.

St. Louis was hardly a dominant team.

Denver has been fined and lost draft picks for circumventing the cap in both of their SuperBowl seasons.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
but NFL players also come into the league at 21. First round picks in the NFL make instant impacts. a 18 year old NHL player rarely produces.

I didn't say you have to make it a certain age, but make it 5 years of NHL service. So for an 18 year old like Kovalchuk he can become a UFA at 23, but a 4 year college player that then spends time in the minors like John Madden wouldn't become a UFA until he was 29.

If the NHL expects to get a hard cap, they'll have to give the players something big, and there only big chip is lowering the age to become a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad