Take a hint from NASCAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think what you are missing in comparing nascar's growth with the nhl's need to grow is one significant thing. the fan base of nascar racing is that it is a major league sport for people that dont live in or near a major league city. which is actually most of the country.

because the series is a national series and because "your team" is one of the teams in the race every week, you can root like they are the home team. I found this when I moved from the Washington/Baltimore area to Eastern NC where they have no major league or major college sports. None of my teams in whatever sport were ever on tv, but the races were on every weekend.

the explosion in the popularity of the sport is a result of the larger markets/major league cities starting to catch on to what people in Rockingham, NC, Terra Haute, IN, and Bakersfield, CA have loved for years.

Hockey doesn't have that and never will have that. Neither does baseball, football or the nba. its a totally different situation.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
I've commetned on this a bunch of times, BOTH sports are HATED by the US Eastcoast bias sport media. however NASCAR rose above that noise with endless self premotion. granted the in the USA, especially in the south the gearhead culture is probably a bit stronger than anywhere the hockey loving US public, see minnesota ( can't speak for canada ), but really no one could have seen NASCAR take off the way it has. A ton of marketing as mentioned has certaily helped, one event per week- very casual fan friendly just like the NFL.

Now since cars going fast is now very 'cool' how about the fasted damn sport- freaking NHL is twice as fast as anything around, why can't the NHL make that connection? Down to earth drivers=down to earth hockey players. same 'aw shucks' comments just a 'eh thrown in every so often. IF the NHL ever gets on its feet I would make it a priority to hire some savy NASCAR marketing person who knows NASCARfan and how to appeal to them. If it takes them to purchase a car so do it. Put big games on the NBC right before or after races, cross premote the hell out of it.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
... whats NASCAR?

seriously though.. what Canadian cares about the Daytona 500?

same can be said in certain US cities... what American cares about the NHL?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
chriss_co said:
... whats NASCAR?

same can be said in certain US cities... what American cares about the NHL?

Judging from this thread, quite a few Canadians care about NASCAR, and I've heard, at times, that there's been talk of adding a race in Canada.

justicex

Nov 12, 2003
Montreal
Backin72 said:
I guess you're talking about 700 different chips, plus a receiver(s) to identify those chips, plus a way to omit the signal from the chips from the players on the bench(maybe the hardest task), plus a way to tie it into the chyron in the truck. Remember, they only had one puck at a time to worry about on Fox. I guess it could be done, but also, at what cost?

Hehe,

well it would not be as hard as you think friend.

Using micro chips like RFID ( radio-frequency identification device ), they cost five pennies to make right now, which is the only reason why they arent on all and every product right now, but its coming.

They can for sure add some kind of chips on players and do the name flash rather easilly. The chip only need to send 3 things, number of the player, the team and his location. ( 2 things if you put a special number like : Modano # 2A31F )

All the things above are no problem really. The only two problems are "when" and "how" you show the information.

Like: if you want to show it on breakaway and faceoff, who will activate the system? will it a human? Of course.. you could by pass it by doing a software that monitor the player locs and when a patern of players match ( like a face off formation ) then it show the infos.

I study in information systems ( work flow ), trust me it would be easy to implement it if the league would want it.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
chriss_co said:
... whats NASCAR?
I do. From Matthew McConaughey's "Gentleman, Start your engines." to "Jeff Gordon has won the Daytona 500."

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
nomorekids said:
Judging from this thread, quite a few Canadians care about NASCAR, and I've heard, at times, that there's been talk of adding a race in Canada.

Agreed. But you have to agree the proportion of NASCAR enthusiasts in Canada is probably comparable to American enthusiasts of the NHL

ie... NASCAR has not successfully established itself as a pasttime event in canada

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
chriss_co said:
Agreed. But you have to agree the proportion of NASCAR enthusiasts in Canada is probably comparable to American enthusiasts of the NHL

ie... NASCAR has not successfully established itself as a pasttime event in canada

For now..I agree...

but the whole point of this thread is that NASCAR is doing what the NHL has failed to do...it's rising and growing in popularity..everywhere. NASCAR, in just a short time, has permeated the consciousness of Canada..and in ten years time, it will only be getting more and more popular, ESPECIALLY if they add a race up there. The NHL needs to pay attention to the tactics used to grow NASCAR, and maybe employ some of the same techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->