Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
They did but that didn't really start to play out until this year with Zads/Compher. We wont know for a few years what the longer terms assets acquired (Thompson, 1st rounder and 2nd rounder) are giving us
We gave Colorado 3 of our top 10 prospects and the 31st overall pick for 1 year of guaranteed team control.

StL gave us their maybe 5th best prospect, a future 1st and a distant future 2nd and 2 cap dumps.

Now, if trying to figure out whether GMTM or GMHead got fleeced, the answer is both, but at least GMTM got the best player in the deal.

Reactions: debaser66

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
We gave Colorado 3 of our top 10 prospects and the 31st overall pick for 1 year of guaranteed team control.

StL gave us their maybe 5th best prospect, a future 1st and a distant future 2nd and 2 cap dumps.

Now, if trying to figure out whether GMTM or GMHead got fleeced, the answer is both, but at least GMTM got the best player in the deal.
They were cap dumps to the Blues because they are on a totally different timeline than us, they're going to be probably our best bottom 6 players and open up a lot of options for line deployment.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Not really arguing about any of that. Just pointing out it took time on the Avs side to start benefiting from the trade. As will be the case with the futures portion of this trade (like Thompson)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Not really arguing about any of that. Just pointing out it took time on the Avs side to start benefiting from the trade. As will be the case with the futures portion of this trade (like Thompson)
I haven't watched much Colorado hockey lately, did Zadorov pan out for them finally? I see people on the main board saying he's the most valuable asset that was part of that deal but the last I knew he was busting pretty hard. Grigs is obviously gone to Russia and I don't see Compher being that huge of a star in their bottom six...not significantly more productive than Yak who they just let walk to Russia as well.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

All the 'best players' that Murray got were headcases that Botterill had to get rid of. People are obsessing over 'winning' trades from a talent standpoint, with recency bias might I add, but ignoring what it takes to build an entire team. ROR was brought in to lead the team and shoulder the load for Eichel and others. Instead of that, he abandoned a drunk driving scene and could never earn the letter, and then lost the rookies in the room with his half-assed off-season and his inability to think positively or steer the room in the right direction.

Tage is a complimentary player, and that's exactly what this team needs. Finishers for our stars. Perfect fit, I can see why Botteril chose him. Whether he needs another year in the AHL or gets out next season will be the debate.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
like? Is he lying about something related to ROR to push an agenda?
There was when he reported that Eichel said he wouldn't sign an extension unless Bylsma was fired, which turned out to be complete hogwash.

He takes quotes out of context all the time. There was a recent one with Eichel where he posted the exact words of Eichel's answer, but lied about the question that was asked, completely changing the meaning of the answer.

In this case, unless PH had a private interview, and he's just reporting what was said to the public, what TNT said was I've been told I'll have an opportunity to compete for a top 6 spot.

Paul Hamilton, because he's an infinite pile of poop, wrote it in a way that makes it sound like he expects to start out on the top 6 and see how it goes. Probably to stir the pot because that's what PH likes doing. He's as bad as Harrington.

Here's an example. In February PH posted this:

"Botterill has no allegiance to Ryan O’Reilly as he didn’t trade for him and he didn’t sign him. Teams inquired about O’Reilly leading up to the deadline, and he knows when the offseason rolls around, he could be moved, “It’s very likely, but it’s out of my control. I want to be here, but it is a business and when things don’t work, adjustments are made, but personally, I want to be part of it, I want to be part of the solution.”"

PH implying, through this quote, that ROR said that "it's very likely" he could be moved. Once the actual transcript came out, it turned out that it was Q: Are changes coming? A: It's very likely.

Schmuck schmuck schmuck.

Last edited:

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
They did but that didn't really start to play out until this year with Zads/Compher. We wont know for a few years what the longer terms assets acquired (Thompson, 1st rounder and 2nd rounder) are giving us

Probably correct, but I think that was a key point in Botterill making the deal. Pushing the rebuild back and rebooting around Eichel/Reinhart/Mitts/Dahlin/Risto.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
May not actually be true. They may have just accepted the admittedly lesser prospect.

Or maybe not. They liked Samuelsson over a lot of other players available with 32nd overall. It's all just speculation at this point. But one can assume the worst to confirm personal biases if one wishes. We'll find out how good he is, right?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Or maybe not. They liked Samuelsson over a lot of other players available with 32nd overall. It's all just speculation at this point. But one can assume the worst to confirm personal biases if one wishes. We'll find out how good he is, right?

I mean, everything is assumption, but it's a far safer assumption to figure that Botterill was aware of and in agreement with the popular consensus that there's a large gap between Thomas and Kyrou and Thompson. They're not perceived as close by anyone I've heard of ranking STL prospects.

But if you want to insist that this was Botts' scouting preference, then we should judge it that way. I.e., if Thomas outperforms Thompson at the NHL level, that would be on Botts as a scout, right? If he picked his guy against all the scouting consensus out there, he'd better be right.

I think the far saner thing is that he just couldn't get Thomas on the table, or he couldn't get Thomas with the rest of the package, or whatever.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I haven't watched much Colorado hockey lately, did Zadorov pan out for them finally? I see people on the main board saying he's the most valuable asset that was part of that deal but the last I knew he was busting pretty hard. Grigs is obviously gone to Russia and I don't see Compher being that huge of a star in their bottom six...not significantly more productive than Yak who they just let walk to Russia as well.

Z's a legit top 4 Defender. He's only 23. RoR is still the higher impact player; but that could change as soon as next season.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I mean, everything is assumption, but it's a far safer assumption to figure that Botterill was aware of and in agreement with the popular consensus that there's a large gap between Thomas and Kyrou and Thompson. They're not perceived as close by anyone I've heard of ranking STL prospects.

But if you want to insist that this was Botts' scouting preference, then we should judge it that way. I.e., if Thomas outperforms Thompson at the NHL level, that would be on Botts as a scout, right? If he picked his guy against all the scouting consensus out there, he'd better be right.

I think the far saner thing is that he just couldn't get Thomas on the table, or he couldn't get Thomas with the rest of the package, or whatever.

I think it's more likely that STL assigned a value to Thomas similar to how BUF feels about Middle.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I haven't insisted anything.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
Maybe I'm dumb, but I took Pronman's comment more as he wasn't surprised by anything Mittelstadt did, not that he didn't play well. IE we already know he's really good and him skating circles around everyone wasn't notable.

Reactions: stokes84

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Maybe I'm dumb, but I took Pronman's comment more as he wasn't surprised by anything Mittelstadt did, not that he didn't play well. IE we already know he's really good and him skating circles around everyone wasn't notable.
What comment? He had article about standouts and disappointments at Sabres prospects camp. He didn’t mention Casey at all. I believe that’s what @vcv is referring to.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
What comment? He had article about standouts and disappointments at Sabres prospects camp. He didn’t mention Casey at all. I believe that’s what @vcv is referring to.

I meant "comment" literally, as in from the comments section of the article. Someone asked about Mittelstadt and his response was:

"Didn't do anything for me to write about. He's still a top 10 prospect outside the league."

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I meant "comment" literally, as in from the comments section of the article. Someone asked about Mittelstadt and his response was:

"Didn't do anything for me to write about. He's still a top 10 prospect outside the league."
Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying

What an odd way to approach Mittelstadt’s prospect camp.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying

What an odd way to approach Mittelstadt’s prospect camp.

Yeah, especially since he dominated the French Connection Tourney. Btw, how can we not be excited about Casey? He appeared much bigger and stronger. He said he was training hard on all aspects of his game, but spent a lot of time in the gym. Oh yeah, he still doesn't care about pull-ups.

There's a story about Patrick Roy during his combine. He went to the bench press and walked right by it. When asked about it he said, "pushups don't stop pucks."

Reactions: oldgoalie

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They were cap dumps to the Blues because they are on a totally different timeline than us, they're going to be probably our best bottom 6 players and open up a lot of options for line deployment.

How would Sobotka and Berglund fit a future looking team more than a win now team?

It isn’t about differing timelines, it is about differing talent levels. The Blues have enough talent that Berglund and Sobotka are no longer needed.

The Sabres are so void of talent that Botts was willing to take them on.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Reactions: paulmm3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad