Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yes, at age 21, he's a bright spot. I see him being a valuable piece moving forward.

I am still waiting for the results to match the potential.

41 gp 6g 10pts -3.4 CF% rel -2.4 FF% rel

Not much different from what he did in St Louis.

He is like Nylander to me. I don't have a lot of confidence that either player turns into a solid top 6 NHL winger like their draft pedigree and potential might suggest.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017

He is like Nylander to me. I don't have a lot of confidence that either player turns into a solid top 6 NHL winger like their draft pedigree and potential might suggest.

Not sure why you think the books been written on him already.

He gets lots of chances when he's on the ice. He needs to become a better finisher and he needs to improve defensively. Both things he can still do.

As well as get a little stronger.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

How can he be like Nylander when Nylander has never been a liability when playing in the NHL?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not sure why you think the books been written on him already.

I never said that.

What I said is that I haven't seen much to get excited about nor enough to make me think that he will be a "valuable piece moving forward".

He gets lots of chances when he's on the ice. He needs to become a better finisher and he needs to improve defensively. Both things he can still do

His possession stats last year and this year leave a lot to be desired.

He has never had a great shooting % at any level. I doubt that is something that markedly improves moving forward outside of a hot streak here or there.

Again, he has talent, but he hasn't done enough for me to expect him to be a good top 6 winger in the NHL.

Could it happen?

Sure.

Would I bet anything on it happening?

Nope.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How can he be like Nylander when Nylander has never been a liability when playing in the NHL?

He is like Nylander to me in that I wouldn't bet anything on either Thompson or Nylander turning into a good top 6 NHL winger at this point in time.

Both have time to get there. But, I am not confident that either guy gets there.

Reactions: slip and Fearnot

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
We have a player who holds the puck longer than a second before dishing it away and losing possession like all our other chumps and now we call him a puck hog for it?

Fans here haven't seen good hockey for a while. It's telling.

Only mistake I saw was giving up on him on the 1st line after one period where he made a mistake-- not playing with his linemates but some after-penalty chumps.

Reactions: Smile Ivan

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
IMG_20190303_181706.png

Tage has adopted a puppy and named him Buff. I didn't know it was legal for a giraffe to own a dog, learn something new everyday!

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I feel for the kid.
As much as we laugh at this whole situation I totally agree. Botts and Phil's handling of him is an absolute disgrace and makes me seriously question the intelligence and competence of both. They are destroying this kid's career before it even begins and it's just sad at this point.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
As much as we laugh at this whole situation I totally agree. Botts and Phil's handling of him is an absolute disgrace and makes me seriously question the intelligence and competence of both. They are destroying this kid's career before it even begins and it's just sad at this point.

I honestly feel bad, as poor their play has been, for Vlad, Tage and Berglund. They had a target on their back even before they skated a minute in Buffalo, as the main returns in one of the worst trades in recent franchise history. They are held to unrealistic expectations to replace who they were traded for, when it's clear they can't handle it. Add that they've been misused and mismanaged by multiple levels of this team. Wouldn't be surprised if Vlad bails in the summer.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It’s just weird. Weird from the development shtick. Weird from a competition sense.

I know ppl wanted to give management a chance to show they had a new genius development strategy.

But sweet Christ it has been an abysmal strategy, so far. And Tage is the prototypical guy to have a long development track. Why in the world he hasn’t gone down for a solid chunk of time is beyond reason.

Let’s not forget, Erod sat so Remi Elie and Thompson could win a play with the pros sweepstakes.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
He has potential but it doesn’t seem that the coaching staff is correcting his mistakes and working on his obvious flaws.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I honestly feel bad, as poor their play has been, for Vlad, Tage and Berglund. They had a target on their back even before they skated a minute in Buffalo, as the main returns in one of the worst trades in recent franchise history. They are held to unrealistic expectations to replace who they were traded for, when it's clear they can't handle it. Add that they've been misused and mismanaged by multiple levels of this team. Wouldn't be surprised if Vlad bails in the summer.

If they had done the right thing and sent Thompson to Rochester to start the season, there would have been no pressure on Thompson.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I want him nowhere near this roster next year. He should not be relied on for any minutes, and the offseason strategy should not include him being penciled into any lineups for 2019-20.

Between the ROR trade, and the subsequent handling of Thompson...Botterill absolutely should be on the hot seat this off-season. He needs to fix some of his mistakes and quick.

I must admit my bias towards him. I have almost no hope that Tage is going to magically develop into a scorer in the NHL. I don't think he has the brains to get himself into prime scoring position enough. He has decent hands, but they're not good enough to pull off most of the things he attempts.

Reactions: toomuchsauce

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Why do they still keep him up he is lost?
I would just recall someone else and let him gain some confidence in the minors.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
How damaged will he be after this year? Basically wasted. Can he go to AHL next year or is he another Grigorenko?
Botts deserves a real bashing for the handling of Thompson.
Yes he can. His waiver exemption will continue until either the 2020 off-season or until he plays another 61 NHL games (as of today), whichever comes first.

Reactions: HaNotsri and slip

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The handling of Thompson has made a bad trade even worse

The thing that is concerning, especially in light of some other roster choices, is that Botts had a seeming willingness to stubbornly be inflexible with a plan. Tage making the team is perfectly fine. But after he showed he couldn’t keep up, it made no sense to not send him Rochester and rotate call ups with the most deserving Rochester guy getting a few games at a time.

Instead Tage gets less ice, less reps in game situations at a slightly lower level. But more awesome video classes.

If you are doing it differently than everyone else, you had better be successful. Otherwise you just look like a moron,

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The thing that is concerning, especially in light of some other roster choices, is that Botts had a seeming willingness to stubbornly be inflexible with a plan. Tage making the team is perfectly fine. But after he showed he couldn’t keep up, it made no sense to not send him Rochester and rotate call ups with the most deserving Rochester guy getting a few games at a time.

Instead Tage gets less ice, less reps in game situations at a slightly lower level. But more awesome video classes.

If you are doing it differently than everyone else, you had better be successful. Otherwise you just look like a moron,

This is a good point. They said they were going to "develop" him at the NHL level and basically the result of that is that he does slightly fewer "toe-drags-leading-to-turn-overs" but is otherwise useless.

That isn't great!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
1 goal in his past 20 games (on a 17 goal less streak, 1 assist in the past 20 games as well (it was 22 games before the last game since his last assist.)

There would be more fans and non fans of previous management if a young player wasn’t sent down for providing that type of production.

#progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->