Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He’s getting the same development patience, if not more, that Thompson got. Unless you’re talking about the fans on these boards and their need to see instant success.
One is being handed an NHL roster spot his performance says he hasn't earned, the other gets to ride busses to Bridgeport, Hershey and Laval so I don't understand how you came to that conclusion.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
After praising this kid for weeks about his play improving he finally gets his shot on the big line and is a big dud...

I wonder if they give him another shot put him back on the bottom 6.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
One is being handed an NHL roster spot his performance says he hasn't earned, the other gets to ride busses to Bridgeport, Hershey and Laval so I don't understand how you came to that conclusion.

Did you just read the first few words of what I said?

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
After praising this kid for weeks about his play improving he finally gets his shot on the big line and is a big dud...

Jesus,

He had one period. Then 23 took over and was a hot mess as well. The patience around here is laughable.

Reactions: Icicle and zuikan

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
One has been rushed to the NHL while the other is being patiently developed in the minors.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Jesus,

He had one period. Then 23 took over and was a hot mess as well. The patience around here is laughable.
I agree with your sentiment
But it seems the coaching staff didnt have much patience either.

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
Eichel and Skinner have turned it over plenty recently. Housley can’t get out of his own way with his knee jerk reactions.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Jesus,

For the record I've been one of Tage's biggest advocates for the past month. I was merely asking what people thought the coaches would do. I assume there's more to it than just the play on the ice, such as the trio's communication while on the ice, their communication on the bench, and their tendencies when moving/cycling in the offensive zone.

And outside of a few knee jerk reactions, I've also seen many of this board's posters change their opinions as well about Tage, so I'm not sure who you're referring to regarding patience with the kid.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
For the record I've been one of Tage's biggest advocates for the past month. I was merely asking what people thought the coaches would do. I assume there's more to it than just the play on the ice, such as the trio's communication while on the ice, their communication on the bench, and their tendencies when moving/cycling in the offensive zone.

And outside of a few knee jerk reactions, I've also seen many of this board's posters change their opinions as well about Tage, so I'm not sure who you're referring to regarding patience with the kid.
Like you said, probably just knee jerk reactions.

Personally, I wanted to see Thompson with Reinhart on a second line

I would have put someone with more experience with Eichel and Skinner.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I never thought Tage fit with Eichel and Skinner in the first place. Skinner is a shoot first guy and so is Tage. There is not enough puck to go around.

Tage would actually fit better with Reinhart at center. IMO. Tage needs a pass first center who will set him up to shoot or give his a pass that will give him a chance to break past a defender with his patented toe drags.

Eichel and Skinner would be better with someone like Girgs on the wing who can dig pucks out of the corners and win battles along the wall.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I never thought Tage fit with Eichel and Skinner in the first place. Skinner is a shoot first guy and so is Tage. There is not enough puck to go around.

Tage would actually fit better with Reinhart at center. IMO. Tage needs a pass first center who will set him up to shoot or give his a pass that will give him a chance to break past a defender with his patented toe drags.

Eichel and Skinner would be better with someone like Girgs on the wing who can dig pucks out of the corners and win battles along the wall.
Agree

If only I could hit like. lol

Reactions: HeartforReinheart

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

This is an over-simplistic look on how chemistry works.

That 70's line featured 3 north/south, shoot first type of players. On paper they should have never worked together.

P. Kane & Panarin are two players that love to dominate puck possession in the offensive zone, yet together they propelled each other to career high production.

Alternatively, on paper E. Kane is a volume shooter that never quite figured out how to create higher quality chances, while Eichel is a playmaking distributor that creates high quality opportunities. Theoretically they should have been a match made in heaven but they never quite figured out how to compliment each other while on the ice.

As I alluded to above, there's many things that contribute to chemistry, such as communication, practice habits, ability to adjust, and even camaraderie with each other. They may not be a fit, but I'd say that we haven't seen enough of them to make that determination yet.

However, experimenting with alternative wingers would allow Reinhart to 'fix' our middle six, which is exactly what Phil's staff should be doing.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
This is an over-simplistic look on how chemistry works.

That 70's line featured 3 north/south, shoot first type of players. On paper they should have never worked together.

P. Kane & Panarin are two players that love to dominate puck possession in the offensive zone, yet together they propelled each other to career high production.

Alternatively, on paper E. Kane is a volume shooter that never quite figured out how to create higher quality chances, while Eichel is a playmaking distributor that creates high quality opportunities. Theoretically they should have been a match made in heaven but they never quite figured out how to compliment each other while on the ice.

As I alluded to above, there's many things that contribute to chemistry, such as communication, practice habits, ability to adjust, and even camaraderie with each other. They may not be a fit, but I'd say that we haven't seen enough of them to make that determination yet.

However, experimenting with alternative wingers would allow Reinhart to 'fix' our middle six, which is exactly what Phil's staff should be doing.
Its not really an oversimplification. Tage is a puck hog. Its normal to put passers with shooters. It just really is that simple.

How ever you feel about line combinations you do have to wonder why Reinhart wasn't given a shot at center. Its like Housley was trying to lose.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Its not really an oversimplification. Tage is a puck hog. Its normal to put passers with shooters. It just really is that simple.

How ever you feel about line combinations you do have to wonder why Reinhart wasn't given a shot at center. Its like Housley was trying to lose.

Simple? It's not, and I pointed out specific examples to counter this, as well as reasons why it isn't simple. But it is how I build my lines in NHL '19, so I get it.

As for Tage being a puck hog, I see we found your narrative... The greatest improvement in his development has been his adjustments on the breakout and in the transition game. In the last few weeks, he routinely provides a breakout option in close support position in the defensive zone during uncontrolled breakouts. He has been consistently turning and making the short quick outlet from this position. Then, once in the neutral zone he has provided good puck support and found passing options to gain the zone. These are the exact types of subtle plays that Reinhart gets praised for.

But he does like to shoot a lot, and once in a while he does try and play hero ball, thus reaffirming people's preconceived narratives about the kid.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

Being on the big line also means he'll face the other team's best defensive unit

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
And here me
Simple? It's not, and I pointed out specific examples to counter this, as well as reasons why it isn't simple. But it is how I build my lines in NHL '19, so I get it.

As for Tage being a puck hog, I see we found your narrative... The greatest improvement in his development has been his adjustments on the breakout and in the transition game. In the last few weeks, he routinely provides a breakout option in close support position in the defensive zone during uncontrolled breakouts. He has been consistently turning and making the short quick outlet from this position. Then, once in the neutral zone he has provided good puck support and found passing options to gain the zone. These are the exact types of subtle plays that Reinhart gets praised for.

But he does like to shoot a lot, and once in a while he does try and play hero ball, thus reaffirming people's preconceived narratives about the kid.
And here me thinking Hull and Oates was a real thing

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
OH. MY. GOD. TAGE~! is doing his first ever Buffalo area signing at the Dave and Thomas superstore on February 11th!!!! I am going to go so I can love and hug him and ask him to show me how to do THE MAGIC TOE DRAG :heart::heart::heart:

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
He's one of the actual bright spots on this team
OH. MY. GOD. TAGE~! is doing his first ever Buffalo area signing at the Dave and Thomas superstore on February 11th!!!! I am going to go so I can love and hug him and ask him to show me how to do THE MAGIC TOE DRAG :heart::heart::heart:
He's one of the actual bright spots on this team. I don't care if you ask him out on a date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad