Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
His improvement this year has been astounding. You can now really see the potential there. His ceiling is higher than I realized. Wouldn't it be funny if Botteril had his eye on the right Blues prospect after all.
You mean we don't know as much as the pro scouts? Bite your tongue.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
not even a shot on goal... :sarcasm:

I thought for sure he was going to score on that play; I couldn't believe the goalie saved it.... then I saw the defender deflect it on the replay. TT is getting sexy and dangerous; I like that.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Tage COULD be Laine Lite.

I just question his ability to pass and read plays consistently. I like his reach, I like his shot. His acceleration could use some improvement, as he as trouble stopping and going after he creates a turnover(a positive part of his game). There's a lot to like in his game, but IMO, there's plenty he needs to work on.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
I just question his ability to pass and read plays consistently.

It seems clear to me he's been working on that. Yes, he's still a bit inconsistent, but I've been impressed with the improvement to date. Playing on a line with Skinner it's pretty obvious that as soon as you get the puck you need to figure out how to feed your star, and that led to Skinner's goal the other night.

I think his acceleration is deceiving with those long legs. You expect to see skate skate skate skate skate with a bunch of short strides to accelerate, but he seems to get up to speed with a couple of strides, in which time he's traveled entirely through the neutral zone.

I agree that he needs to work on a lot still, but the improvement has been steady and noticeable, and he's showing frequent glimpses of being able to do things most other players can't.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It seems clear to me he's been working on that. Yes, he's still a bit inconsistent, but I've been impressed with the improvement to date. Playing on a line with Skinner it's pretty obvious that as soon as you get the puck you need to figure out how to feed your star, and that led to Skinner's goal the other night.

I think his acceleration is deceiving with those long legs. You expect to see skate skate skate skate skate with a bunch of short strides to accelerate, but he seems to get up to speed with a couple of strides, in which time he's traveled entirely through the neutral zone.

I agree that he needs to work on a lot still, but the improvement has been steady and noticeable, and he's showing frequent glimpses of being able to do things most other players can't.

It's not even that he has trouble with accelerating when he's already moving. Too many times this year, he's created a turnover, stopped, and turned his body to go, but nothing happened. He didn't start moving up the ice, he didn't pass it off to another guy, it was like he was stuck in a spot. Unfortunately, the other team's players turned around in this time and already tied him up and took the puck away again. When I say I question his ability to read the play, and needs to work on his acceleration, that is what I mean. That part of the game, an important part at this level considering how quickly and how small the windows are in this league, still looks amateurish for Tage.

His improvements this year have shown in his forechecking game. His backchecking is still sketchy but there's plenty of time for him to improve on that, especially with his toolset. He's looking to be on pace to be a solid top 9 player. Depending on how well the coaching staff and Tage can get out of him, he could be a solid top 6 player.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
His growth and development are still ongoing, and will continue to be for years, but there’s definitely more potential than I thought when we first acquired him.

If he gets bigger and stays dedicated to fore and back checking, easy T6 with versatility.

Reactions: Doohickie

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
His growth and development are still ongoing, and will continue to be for years, but there’s definitely more potential than I thought when we first acquired him.

If he gets bigger and stays dedicated to fore and back checking, easy T6 with versatility.
I keep reminding myself that he's 21 years old, and flashes of brilliance should be exactly what's expected right now. I'm loving watching him get better and better every game, if he keeps improving he will be a dangerous weapon for us in the Cup window.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
We’re starting to see the patience pay off with Tage Thompson

584D00D7_57F3_4ED4_B6B4_694A6AC0AC19.jpeg

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Tage COULD be Laine Lite.

I just question his ability to pass and read plays consistently. I like his reach, I like his shot. His acceleration could use some improvement, as he as trouble stopping and going after he creates a turnover(a positive part of his game). There's a lot to like in his game, but IMO, there's plenty he needs to work on.

Laine is a sniper. I would say that he could more of a creative scorer like Wheeler or someone of that degree. More of a power forward but, with the ability to create as well. Both for himself and teammates.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Laine is a sniper. I would say that he could more of a creative scorer like Wheeler or someone of that degree. More of a power forward but, with the ability to create as well. Both for himself and teammates.

I've often thought of a prime Chris Kunitz as a comparison for what he could be on this team.

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
This board is going to be a complete roller coaster re: Master Thompson.
To some he’s the worst player in the league, others want him in Rochester, others want him babysitting O’Reilly’s stamp collection, and to still others he reminds them of super Mario, or Laine-light, etc. etc. Yeah, there’ll never be a consensus.

Reactions: Snippit

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
To some he’s the worst player in the league, others want him in Rochester, others want him babysitting O’Reilly’s stamp collection, and to still others he reminds them of super Mario, or Laine-light, etc. etc. Yeah, there’ll never be a consensus.
This kids a puzzle wrapped in an enigma

Reactions: Buffaloed

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

He’s combo of puck skills, size and shot is straight up elite level. It’s easy to see massive potential. His play away from the puck is poor, his consistency is poor, and he’s a bit to fancy. Realistically not ONE person on this board knows what type of player we have in 3 years with him. I think he’s a future stud, but he might also be like Kotakik was.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Kid is talented so he will do some nice moves and even help us winning a game or two.
But he’s clearly outmatched most nights and belongs in the AHL where he could work on both his defensive as well as offensive game.

Reactions: sabremike

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What if nylander got the same patience as thompson?

He’s getting the same development patience, if not more, that Thompson got. Unless you’re talking about the fans on these boards and their need to see instant success.

Reactions: Fezzy126
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad