TBN: Tage Thompson: He's fit. He's tanned. He's ready to dominate.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
And just like Risto, the core issue will be the processing speed of the "muscle" between his ears.

But people will bring up on how much stronger and bigger and faster he looks so he must be a better player.

Can we not start some complete BS narrative that his issues in the NHL were because he was dumb . That was never the issue . He was too weak which led to him getting knocked around and off the puck a lot. So he played more as a perimeter player. Which led to him forever trying to toe drag guys and avoid high traffic area (like the front of the net and along the walls). He needed work on his defense but no more so than any other player his age.

Once he came back last year you saw him attacking the front of the net/along the walls because he was stronger. It’s why he was also very good and occasionally dominate in the AHL. Unfortunately we never got to see him try those things NHL because of his injury.

Bean pole Tage getting knocked around looked like a baby giraffe trying to walk. Which lead to the giraffe theme we see in all of his threads.

I think Rivet was pretty high on Tage and had been saying he can see a consistent 30 goal scorer when he matures. I believe he will show us he has matured. I have high hopes for Tage. The muscle to go along with the size will allow him to finish plays that his brain is telling him he can do but then he'd get smoked trying to. The added muscke should allow him to do just that!
I agree with joshjull that Tage's problems weren't in his head. Let's see him put it together now and be happy. And besides, we need him to do just that!

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20210102_123048.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Can we not start some complete BS narrative that his issues in the NHL were because he was dumb . That was never the issue . He was too weak which led to him getting knocked around and off the puck a lot. So he played more as a perimeter player. Which led to him forever trying to toe drag guys and avoid high traffic area (like the front of the net and along the walls). He needed work on his defense but no more so than any other player his age.

Once he came back last year you saw him attacking the front of the net/along the walls because he was stronger. It’s why he was also very good and occasionally dominate in the AHL. Unfortunately we never got to see him try those things NHL because of his injury.

Bean pole Tage getting knocked around looked like a baby giraffe trying to walk. Which lead to the giraffe theme we see in all of his threads.

Adding on to your point... seeing how Thompson embraced the demotion to work on the deficiencies in his game as well as the two off-seasons of training to compensate for that lack of muscle? Take away the initial handling by Botterill and Housley coloring outlook and many would be thrilled to have a prospect rising to that challenge in the manner we can tangibly see. He did the work. We could be so luck as having guys handle the demotion and training the way Tage has. I won't even get into how he stepped up at the last Dev Camp, but it fits with his maturity level too -- doing the job and doing it as well as he can and staying humble throughout.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
When does TT stop becoming a meme on this forum?

What does he have to achieve as a minimum requirement?

Genuine question.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Tage will score a lot this season, but the giraffe thing won't go away. It'll get reinforced and become more of a thing.

I don't see PETA or the SPCA going along with throwing giraffes on the ice during wins. Going to take forever to get them off the ice. I really wish @sabremike went with a seal instead of a giraffe. Seal necks are longer and generally underappreciated.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Yeah at this point I don't think the jokes are tied to performance. Its just a running joke about his height

Which is funny, because he doesn't look 6'7 to me at all out there. Maybe my eyes are playing a trick on me.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Tage will score a lot this season, but the giraffe thing won't go away. It'll get reinforced and become more of a thing.

I don't see PETA or the SPCA going along with throwing giraffes on the ice during wins. Going to take forever to get them off the ice. I really wish @sabremike went with a seal instead of a giraffe. Seal necks are longer and generally underappreciated.
I love sea lions as well:

Did you know in our first season as a publicity stunt when we played the Seals we arranged for their owner Charlie O'Finley to be greeted by a live seal at center ice at The Aud (I've been trying to find a picture of this forever but with no luck)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad