TBN: Tage Thompson: He's fit. He's tanned. He's ready to dominate.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Tage Thompson ready to 'take advantage of the opportunity' with Sabres

Tage is super excited and eager to prove himself:

“I’m super excited, especially after being injured. The uncertainty of what they see in you and for them to do a three-year deal is a really nice feeling. Obviously, it means they think highly of me and that they want me around. I want to be around here a long time, longer than three years, so it’s a good feeling. I have to take advantage of the opportunity and do everything I can to help the team win and be successful for the years to follow.”

Pete Pulaski, Thompson’s Connecticut-based offseason strength coach went to see him play a number of times in Rochester

“I was able to go and see him on the road with Rochester in multiple locations and ask him afterwards, ‘How are you doing? How do you feel?’ And he would be like, ‘Hey, the referee came up to me and said you’re a man amongst boys out here.’ He looked physically bigger than everyone. In terms of hockey, his ability to now use his skill set and be so much bigger, there were parts of games where he just took over.
When he had the confidence going, the juice going, he was literally taking over games in Roch. Take the puck, find the open man and, boom, it’s in the net. He was able to utilize his skill at a whole different level. … He always knew what he needed to do. It just took a little longer than we anticipated when he was 18 years old.”

There's the usual talk about his offseason conditioning and how he rehabbed his shoulder. He was cleared for full contact in June. He trained with his brother Tyce in New Jersey and Sharks prospect Maxim Lutonov. Then he went to Arizona for on ice work with a bunch of players including Auston Matthews and Connor McDavid where they played mini games.

“It was a really good atmosphere, really good skates. Obviously, very fast-paced playing with those guys. A good number of guys there, too. I think we had 12-to-16 NHL and AHL guys. Playing mini-games, it’s kind of the first game situation I’ve been in where you’re competing and battling since my shoulder injury, so it was nice to test out the shoulder a little bit.”

He's been in Buffalo since early September skating at LECOM Harbor Center with Eichel, Okposo, Montour and others. More players are expected to be coming in as they get ready for an abbreviated training camp.

He talks about becoming a more complete player.

“A lot of it was just confidence and helping round out my game completely. When I was younger I was predominately a point player, focusing on offense and the defensive side was never really a priority in my game. Now, turning pro, your role changes a bit. When you’re younger, you have to accept different roles and my first few years in the league I’ve been a third-, fourth-line guy and playing a defensive game is something I need to get better at and I think being sent down to Roch, being able to play in all situations, power play, penalty kill, being on the ice a lot helps round out your full game. I know I have the ability to score and produce points, but now I have the ability to shut down players and play a full 200-foot game.”

Tage now weighs 228½ pounds. He's fit. He's tanned. He's ready to dominate.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
iu

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
All jokes aside, I would love to see Tage have a breakout year. He has the size and skill set to be an impact forward. He would really round out a talented forward group. He was dominant in Rochester for stretches.

him and Cozens having productive seasons is very important to our team’s success next year!

Reactions: Ginger Papa

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
All I can say is he looked like an NHLer during preseason last year, which feels like forever ago at this point.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Its still amazing to me he put on 23.5lbs of muscle since we acquired him. Going from 205lbs to 228.5 requires a ton of work on his part and a bit of a fluky year to give him more time to recover from injury then keep building.

Very excited to see how that translates.

Reactions: BHD and Ginger Papa

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Its still amazing to me he put on 23.5lbs of muscle since we acquired him. Going from 205lbs to 228.5 requires a ton of work on his part and a bit of a fluky year to give him more time to recover from injury then keep building.

Very excited to see how that translates.

Who says its muscle?

Maybe he's just been sitting at duff's this whole time doing the Mittelstadt diet.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
All jokes aside, I would love to see Tage have a breakout year. He has the size and skill set to be an impact forward. He would really round out a talented forward group. He was dominant in Rochester for stretches.
A breakout year for Tage could put Botterill back on the map. If Mitts has one too Botts is back in business. He could replace Kyle Dubas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad